You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. How much harder is the game with only having one class for each?

User Info: mninp

mninp
1 month ago#1
I played the original vanilla version of FFXII on the PS2, and it's awesome that you can actually pick your own classes in this one. However, I don't really like the idea of having two classes for each character. I feel like that ruins the value that each individual class brings, and makes everyone feel a bit too "samey" because of all the overlap. I like having characters that specialize in one specific area, that's how I like my FF games.

My question is, how much harder is the game if I only choose one class per character? I'm not looking to do a legit challenge run or anything, so if it's a lot harder, then I'll just go with the two classes.
Games I'm looking forward to: Super Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, Kingdom Hearts HD Remix 2.5, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV

User Info: Quistis04

Quistis04
1 month ago#2
mninp posted...
I played the original vanilla version of FFXII on the PS2, and it's awesome that you can actually pick your own classes in this one. However, I don't really like the idea of having two classes for each character. I feel like that ruins the value that each individual class brings, and makes everyone feel a bit too "samey" because of all the overlap. I like having characters that specialize in one specific area, that's how I like my FF games.

My question is, how much harder is the game if I only choose one class per character? I'm not looking to do a legit challenge run or anything, so if it's a lot harder, then I'll just go with the two classes.
Very few FF games have classes or gameplay in this style. You can count them on a few fingers. If you played vanilla version you should have no problem with this game even within your self appointed rules. If the game is trivial on weak mode, it is also trivial with one job rules.

User Info: PsymunGundam

PsymunGundam
1 month ago#3
mninp posted...

TZA was adopted from the International Zodiac Job System version of FF12, which was released only in Japan. IZJS only allowed one class and it doesn't have the conveniences of TZA (auto-save, bringing back Trial Mode items), but it was still relatively easy.

So yes, you can beat TZA with just one class per character

User Info: AsIfByMagic

AsIfByMagic
1 month ago#4
There are other ways around it if you're worried about characters being too similar though. You could just not have any mixed classes and pair mage with mage or whatever.

User Info: Shinagawakun

Shinagawakun
1 month ago#5
It's not hard. The IZJS version had only 1 class per character and it was easy.

User Info: DeadliftKing91

DeadliftKing91
1 month ago#6
mninp posted...

Original FFXII:IZJS only allowed 1 job per character. It was fun, and it wasn't that difficult. I prefer it this way, since the jobs were meant to limit you. Adding more just gets closer to base FFXII.

User Info: Chuck8842

Chuck8842
1 month ago#7
I also played the original FFXII on PS2 to completion, before getting TZA shortly after it came out on PS4. After extensively planning my optimal 12-job usage pairings, I ended up getting bored with TZA because it was MUCH easier than vanilla.

A couple days ago I restarted TZA, and this time I'm only using one job per character. So far I'm really enjoying myself. My choices feel much more consequential, and it is forcing me to use strategies and weapons I always ignored previously (i.e. rods and staffs, acrane magick, etc.) There are a few great guides here on TZA/IZJS boards and faqs, i.e. this which was recently reposted: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/939426-final-fantasy-xii-international-zodiac-job-system/76217254

I'd definitely encourage you to go for it!
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
1 month ago#8
Shinagawakun posted...
It's not hard. The IZJS version had only 1 class per character and it was easy.

Unfortunately while certain monsters were given decent buffs, it's only somewhere around 6~8% of the total monster count, and only a handful were given anything truly substantial to make up for the changes IZJS brought in. The biggest being the Damage cap removal (original was capped at 9,999, and wow was it easy to hit it, even as low as 40 with the right weapons/setup), and the most profound in this version being getting rid of the Magic Queue.
Life can be unexpected. Embrace and prepare for anything.

User Info: bomebohm

bomebohm
1 month ago#9
if you have a white mage, black mage, knight (or Uhlan), shikari and other 2 jobs (1 with Expose, Wither) then you can beat the game with ease.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. How much harder is the game with only having one class for each?