You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Can we talk about Game of Thrones RIPPING OFF FFXII??! (spoilers for both)

User Info: FaustXII

FaustXII
2 months ago#1
WTH... ripping off the Occuria telling Ashe to "DESTROY THEM ALL" in Archades (ie the Capital... ie King's Landing or w/e) for REVENGE (Daenerys partly, for her dragon, and her friend) and she has a "dilemma" about what to do... 🙄 Should I be a bloodthirsty Tyrant and set "justice" in the world? Or should I seek a different path to my throne?

seeing it I was like : "omg where have I seen this before? 🤔 o rite FFXII... -_-' "

taking one of the few good story points in this game...

for shame...

User Info: BlackChocoboSox

BlackChocoboSox
2 months ago#2
What are you talking about?

That moment was taken from the books which were written way before this game came out.
PSN: S1lentSt0rmx.
Gamefaqs is a Troll cave.

User Info: Nordini

Nordini
2 months ago#3
BlackChocoboSox posted...

That moment was taken from the books which were written way before this game came out.

No it wasn't. He's talking about the last scene of last night's episode, which is wayyyy past the books.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNJdJIwCF_Y

User Info: Zennou

Zennou
2 months ago#4
I'll tell you one thing the Game of Thrones HBO show didn't steal from FFXII. The fast-travel. It's from an open world game.
We leap from dream to dream, and today we dream anew.

User Info: WeWerePirates

WeWerePirates
2 months ago#5
As long we talk about how FFXII ripped off Star Wars. And how Star Wars ripped off Hidden Fortress. And how no one in the entirety of human history has ever had an original idea, except Akira Kurosawa it seems.

FaustXII
2 months ago#6
WeWerePirates posted...
As long we talk about how FFXII ripped off Star Wars. And how Star Wars ripped off Hidden Fortress. And how no one in the entirety of human history has ever had an original idea, except Akira Kurosawa it seems.

who dat

but its true it did rip off Star Wars a bit, visually 🤔 but this plot point, the "moral dilemma" of taking back your kingdom with revenge but also considering not killing the innocents in it (they have you walk and explore Archades for a reason, both the poor and rich sides)... This is pretty original to FFXII no?

And I mean, it's the main plot point, what matters most in the climax.
(edited 2 months ago)

FaustXII
2 months ago#7
Nordini posted...
BlackChocoboSox posted...

No it wasn't. He's talking about the last scene of last night's episode, which is wayyyy past the books.

yeah lol...

G R Martin doesn't watch the show at all and kind of implicitly hates it? idk

FaustXII
2 months ago#8
Also as I watched the episode I was like "oh right, the Nethicite and the Sun Cryst and all that, that's analogous to the Dragons/ Cersei's big crossbow things, (particularly the dragons, which can supposedly raze the city)"

speaking of... crossbows are a thing in this game.... COINCIDENCE!??! ;) ok im just joking with that one
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: WeWerePirates

WeWerePirates
2 months ago#9
FaustXII posted...
who dat

Guy who wrote and directed Hidden Fortress, and one of the greatest film makers of all time. He pretty much created a whole bunch of forms of story telling which you see all over the place on film and television now. He's mostly know for his Samurai stuff but his contemporary stuff is so much better.

but its true it did rip off Star Wars a bit, visually 🤔

A boy from no where goes on a mission to save a princess, accompanying a loyal knight who has been missing for years. Aided by a pair of outlaws, a dashing rogue with a hard exterior and heart of gold and their stoic companion. Together they manage to defeat a conquering Empire's destructive mobile super weapon.

It's not a bad thing, pretty much every story is recycled from some where, it's all process of synthesis to make it something new.

This is pretty original to FFXII no?

Not really, I mean it's literally a cliche; "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Oldest example I can think of would be Three Kingdoms, Cao Cao sets out put down an attempt to usurp control of the kingdom and ends up becoming a tyrant himself (litterary version of Cao Cao is always sort of portrayed as a jerk though, it's kind of biased). That predates FFXII by about 300 years IIRC. Lord of the Rings touches on it with rings of power corrupting good leaders, and later others being tempted to try and use them for good. And there are direct parallels with various events in history.
(edited 2 months ago)
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Can we talk about Game of Thrones RIPPING OFF FFXII??! (spoilers for both)