• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Uh, where's my post-game content?!

User Info: Fujean

Fujean
2 months ago#1
I finally got around to beating this and the post game content is what I've been looking forward this whole time. Beat the final boss, sat through the ending credits and then it prompted me to start a New Game+? WTH? No! That's not what I want. I want to go back to just before the final boss/dungeon and explore the world. Not do the whole story all over again.

User Info: Hinnyuu

Hinnyuu
2 months ago#2
As with many FF games, the final part of the game including the final boss is past a point of no return. Once you depart for Bahamut, you cannot go back, and the game will end.

All the "postgame" content (incorrectly named as such, of course) you will have to do before that point of no return.

User Info: Melodia

Melodia
2 months ago#3
Of course in this game the PONR is all of a few minutes with cut scene skips. And you can't even save. So it's not a big deal.

But yeah, the final unlocks happen ones you finish off the Pharos (Subterra and some hunts mostly). Plus there's some stuff available earlier that is effectively postgame-esque (Henne and upper Great Crystal).
Always Remember, Green Hair Is Cool.

User Info: Fujean

Fujean
2 months ago#4
I knew about the point of no return but I thought it was point of no return until you beat the last boss and then it sends you back out. Wasn't it like that in FFX and X-2? That's how I remember them being on PS2. Anyway, I reloaded a nearly year old save from the last time I played the game before going in the final dungeon. Basically wasting about two hours of my time for a trophy.

Hinnyuu
2 months ago#5
Fujean posted...
I knew about the point of no return but I thought it was point of no return until you beat the last boss and then it sends you back out. Wasn't it like that in FFX and X-2? That's how I remember them being on PS2.

It wasn't like that in X/X-2, no. They worked the very same way as XII does - you get to a point shortly before the last boss after which you cannot go back, and the game ends when you defeat the final boss. Most FFs have worked like this. It is only with XIII that things changed.

User Info: Crashrfc

Crashrfc
2 months ago#6
Hinnyuu posted...
All the "postgame" content (incorrectly named as such, of course)

What do you call it?

Hinnyuu
2 months ago#7
Crashrfc posted...
What do you call it?

I do like to call it postgame, however that is with the understanding that it's technically misapplied since you can't keep playing after the story is complete. It's pedantic, I know. More correct would be "endgame"; I also like simply talking about "superbosses" since that's the relevant part.

But calling it "postgame" - knowing it's technically incorrect - is also fine with me because it's about the vernacular understanding of the concept that most people will grok without getting hung up on the details.

User Info: Melodia

Melodia
2 months ago#8
Hinnyuu posted...

It is only with XIII that things changed.

And even in XIII the only real difference is that you get an extra level of Crysterium. There's no actual new content, per se. AND it still sends you back to before the boss, effectively, as far as story goes (unlike something like Disgaea games)
Always Remember, Green Hair Is Cool.

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
2 months ago#9
There are very few games that have true "postgame" content. Where the extra content happens after defeating the final boss, and there's a real finality to it (though for some you can still rebattle the final boss through some arbitrarily world-rule breaking oddity like a time bubble that locks in place the final dungeon prior to beating it or something, but for the actual world, the danger is over).

Most of the time even if beating the final boss unlocks content, the final boss is still alive and well, and you're placed at the last save, or the main town, or the last town prior to the final boss in the "starred/checked/marked in some way" save indicating "postgame," where you get your super uber boss unlock, and super uber dungeon unlock, with super duper uber equipment.

As stated, this game doesn't even have that. It's all about the second to last dungeon, the Pharos, and just after Giruvegan where the final unlocks pop up for overall game content.
Life can be unexpected. Embrace and prepare for anything.

User Info: UnseenChaos

UnseenChaos
2 months ago#10
Fujean posted...
Anyway, I reloaded a nearly year old save from the last time I played the game before going in the final dungeon.

Why? There are no save crystals past the point of no return. Unless you’re telling me you actually saved over your current file when it prompted you to start NG+?
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Uh, where's my post-game content?!
  • Topic Archived