The only thing missing from this game a compromise for class switching

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. The only thing missing from this game a compromise for class switching

User Info: Mooogleman

Mooogleman
11 months ago#11
I agree with the second class is the compromise. When they made izjs it was 6 characters 6 classes. Now if your displeased you get to raithwall choose another. You can use every job in one playthrough.

With ff1 you had 6 classes if im not mistaken. Tho was it 5? Res, white, black fighter and monk is all im remembering. Oh thief.

Fighter turns to knight
Thief to.....?
Black melt to monk

Mages to wizards.

Don't think I ever used a thief. I always did white black flighter black belt.

So 2 classes got unused. 3 and 5 used the job system. 4 and 9 were classes locked to characters.

Due to the second job though you dont nees to worry if your unhappy. You can also beat the game with any class. I imagine like ff1 all white mages would be hard but doable.

It's just how the game is. Some allow class switching some like even ff11 a secondary job.

Allowing a second job i figured was for those who regretted their choices to add another role for their character.

User Info: Sand_Coffin

Sand_Coffin
11 months ago#12
I have to disagree with the "the only thing missing" statement.

Yes, class switching would be nice, even if it was just a one time thing. Yes, getting a second class is a great "bone" as someone put it, but I think certain combinations really make one go "eww... should have done a X/Y instead."

But to the point, what else did this game need?

One, like others wanted, I would've liked an original license board option. The jobs are great but I enjoyed making my own in vanilla. For example I had a "Bard" who now would be a cross between archer, time battlemage and foe breaker, and thus can not use. Sure, not a huge loss, but still....

Two, and honestly this is my biggest "why didn't you fix this?!" is the introduction of gambits. They should introduce setting them up when you get Penelo in Giza and they first mention gambits.

And three, let me skip the gambit tutorial. Yes, its not insufferable, but I simply hate sitting through tutorials for stuff I already know every time I want to play the game.

User Info: fatelord

fatelord
11 months ago#13
I can see why infinite respecs would be bad and diminish the value of choice ... but one respec where u lose your LP would be perfect. The game punishes you severely for not looking online and planning ahead with esper choices and class synergy which is pretty stupid.
PSN: Fatelord.

User Info: NibeIungsnarf

NibeIungsnarf
11 months ago#14
DASchenk85 posted...
Well ... I'm restarting because i'm unhappy with my classes

For better or worse, thats the kind of game this is.
I just felt like that there should have been some kind of way around that.

I don't think that's a negative.

If you are invested enough in a game that you feel choices you make are so important that a bad choice leads you to restart the game entirely, then that's great.

User Info: Demonic_Essence

Demonic_Essence
11 months ago#15
Even if you use a s***ty job you are still OP, doesn't matter who you play or what job they have. It really sad how simple this game is now, it use to be kind of difficult.
Playing is more important. You can work any time.

User Info: Tanthalas

Tanthalas
11 months ago#16
Why are people so obsessed with having job swapping come with a penalty?

Plenty of previous FF and SE games that use a job system have no penalty for swapping jobs. Just have stats for each job be independent and it would be perfect.
Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

User Info: NibeIungsnarf

NibeIungsnarf
11 months ago#17
Tanthalas posted...

Plenty of previous FF and SE games that use a job system have no penalty for swapping jobs. Just have stats for each job be independent and it would be perfect.

That's not how FF12 is set-up. It's not balanced for job swapping on the fly like FF5 or X-2.

It would require a complete rework of the game's core systems for that to make sense.

User Info: Tenlaar

Tenlaar
11 months ago#18
I don't mean this in as rude a way as it may come off, but the "compromise" for job switching is that there are a lot of other games that allow you to do it.

More choice is NOT always better. Being able to erase your choices and start over again is NOT always better. Some games give you more freedom, and that's great. I like those games. Some games make your choices have hard consequences that you have to live with, and the game is designed around that. I like those games too.

Not liking that you have to live with your choices or start over does not mean that it is an inherently worse game design.

User Info: DonkeyPunchJr

DonkeyPunchJr
11 months ago#19
Tanthalas posted...

Because then your strategy becomes "respec your party to beat X challenge, and make all your choices knowing you can easily undo them" instead of "think carefully before choosing, and figure out how to beat X challenge with the tools you have."

Taking a job-based game and adding respec isn't just "giving you freedom". It's turning it into a fundamentally different game.
If you don't like the behavior you're getting, look at the behavior you're rewarding.

User Info: Tenlaar

Tenlaar
11 months ago#20
DonkeyPunchJr posted...
Because then your strategy becomes "respec your party to beat X challenge, and make all your choices knowing you can easily undo them" instead of "think carefully before choosing, and figure out how to beat X challenge with the tools you have."

Taking a job-based game and adding respec isn't just "giving you freedom". It's turning it into a fundamentally different game.

Not to mention how things become "X is your most powerful early game party - once you get to this point and unlock <insert ability/esper/spell/whatever>, change your party to Y until you get these things, when your best party will be Z..."
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. The only thing missing from this game a compromise for class switching

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived