• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Fix Battle Harness/Counter so that its actually effective

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
1 year ago#1
Forgot about this one right? Surprised to see this board has had no topics to date about this games Counter mechanic, and the accessory that supplies it, the battle harness

How would you hypothetically rework counter in this game, to make it more viable and comparable to other abilties more worthwhile in TZA?

And remember, Genji Armor already increases Counter chance (drastically) when worn in conjunction with Battle Harness. As of now, that seems like such a low payoff for sacrificing your armor and equip slot

To include some old discourse around the pros and cons of counter (idk if all of this remains true today)

http://www.ffxii.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9840
Learning something new everyday

User Info: omgseal

omgseal
1 year ago#2
why is genji armor a sacrifice? its a great piece of armor. i use it and the helmet on my shikari/bushi.
PSN: bongchoof
Pawn: Deckard(Lv. 52 currently. Changes often.) Currently: Warrior

User Info: foreveranxman

foreveranxman
1 year ago#3
I've always wondered about this... I don't think I've EVER since a character counter. Maybe I just don't know how it works? But, really. It should be a bit more evident if it's even working. Can they counter even without the battle harness equipped? Is there a "COUNTER" notification? Like, "dodge" or "miss"?

omgseal
1 year ago#4
foreveranxman posted...
I've always wondered about this... I don't think I've EVER since a character counter. Maybe I just don't know how it works? But, really. It should be a bit more evident if it's even working. Can they counter even without the battle harness equipped? Is there a "COUNTER" notification? Like, "dodge" or "miss"?

yes, it says counter

User Info: Riku_0

Riku_0
1 year ago#5
Make it able to combo.

The only reason I dont use it is beause my tank uses high combo weapons, and I was told counterattacks cant combo
Sorry for any typos. I post from mobile and generally while I'm at work.

bvillebro
1 year ago#6
omgseal posted...
why is genji armor a sacrifice? its a great piece of armor. i use it and the helmet on my shikari/bushi.

genji armor is a good set of equip, but end game Maximillian and Grand Armor are better (and you can farm Maximillians before even getting Genji Armor). Sans counter, Genji offers nothing over them. And thats just heavy armor, due to the job system, its possible that 2-4 other characters may be wearing Mystic or Light armor

Overall, it just feels like the only really special Genji equip was the gloves. They dont have to be the best armors, helms or shields, but genji armor typically has special perks to it. They gave that to the armor, but counters are such an underutilized tool in this game that wearing the Armor just to see a counterwould be a sacrifice. Especially since you must dedicate your accessory slot to battle harness

User Info: UnlessJack

UnlessJack
1 year ago#7
Eh, I don't know. Genji counter activates enough for me, and it's not like it's super low teir armor or anything so I've got no problem equipping it over some of the higher teir sets.
"Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and drink your goddamn TEA!!"

omgseal
1 year ago#8
the helmet lets you counter though. there really isnt a better helmet except for maybe the shishak. also, i think mystic armor f***ing sucks except for robe of lords. and the speed on maximillain is iffy. its great on my archer and could be could on a shikari but i dont know what else youd use it for. as far as i know it has no effect on charge time.

bvillebro
1 year ago#9
Riku_0 posted...
Make it able to combo.

The only reason I dont use it is beause my tank uses high combo weapons, and I was told counterattacks cant combo

based on the writeup in the link, it sounds like you were told right

11 years ago, Cross posted...
* Characters cannot score multiple hits from a Counter. They can only Counter with 1 successful attack.

RIP

bvillebro
1 year ago#10
omgseal posted...
the helmet lets you counter though. there really isnt a better helmet except for maybe the shishak. also, i think mystic armor f***ing sucks except for robe of lords. and the speed on maximillain is iffy. its great on my archer and could be could on a shikari but i dont know what else youd use it for. as far as i know it has no effect on charge time.

In the International Zodiac Job System version, it now provides 46 Magic Defense and now gives the additional bonus of giving Counter against normal attacks equal to ([Speed/2]% activation rate).

Hmm, youre right this was buffed from Vanilla in IZJS. At least thats somewhat better

It has no effect on charge time, but you cant be in almost any action or else it wont activate. It also cannot activate if you are moving, youve basically gotta be standing still in your enemies and charging ATB to counter (cuz you cant counter ranged attacks, magic or techniques)

Tbh counter could use massive buffs. This may be ambitious, but imagine if they made it a parry system instead that rewards timing
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Fix Battle Harness/Counter so that its actually effective
  • Topic Archived