Shock Operations

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Battlefield 1
  3. Shock Operations

User Info: AngrySquid270

AngrySquid270
1 month ago#1
Had a chance to play through all the Shock Operations maps and figured I'd share my thoughts.

Overall I enjoyed it, but it won't be replacing Conquest anytime soon for me.

I never played much Operations so this is more of a contrast with Conquest.

Pros:
-New perspective of some old and otherwise familiar maps.
-40 player count means it's a tad easier to carry a team. Feels like you're carrying a bit more individual responsibility. A few good flanks and kill streaks can seal the game.
-I quite like the stages with two flags. Forces some interesting decisions on whether to defend or attack. Unlike Conquest defending flags is consistently fun and exciting.

Cons:
-Pretty miserable if teams are unbalanced, which is more often than not. It's particularly miserable for both sides if the weaker team is attacking. Match just drags on. Both sides dig into a defense stance with LMG's and snipers. God help you if you want to push the objective in these situatuins - pure meat grinder.
-Lack of vehicles makes it feel a bit empty. Zeeberg is the exception.
-Because of smaller teams the balancer can't do as much to offset a stacked squad. Good squads can just roll in the wins.
-Only five maps in the rotation. That's going to get old. Fast.

In general I feel asymmetric game modes rely even more on balanced teams in order to have an enjoyable match. Balancing teams is something DICE just can't figure out. Asymmetric modes justify asymetric player counts. Making it 24v20; attackers to defenders would be a good start.

That's why I'll be sticking with conquest. It's the only mode I can really enjoy even when the teams are unbalanced.
Join the GameFAQs PS4 BF1 Platoon! Open to all. Clan tag [GFAQ].

User Info: Thermador446

Thermador446
1 month ago#2
It's basically just a shorter version of Operations. Since you need to set like a whole hour aside for a game of operations, it fits in nicely.
It seems to use some of the maps that don't have operations, like lutpkow pass, and a naval map. Nice to play those maps a little

If you haven't played much operations, you are missing out on the best mode in battlefield history/world history. You get extremely good battle packs for completing the selected operations, & you can get 2 a day
"While you were wasting your time castrating a priceless antique, I was systematically feeding babies to hungry mutated puppies!" -The Monarch

User Info: AngrySquid270

AngrySquid270
1 month ago#3
Thermador446 posted...
It's basically just a shorter version of Operations. Since you need to set like a whole hour aside for a game of operations, it fits in nicely.
It seems to use some of the maps that don't have operations, like lutpkow pass, and a naval map. Nice to play those maps a little

If you haven't played much operations, you are missing out on the best mode in battlefield history/world history. You get extremely good battle packs for completing the selected operations, & you can get 2 a day

Is the only difference between Shock Ops and the old 40man Ops the fact that Shock Ops focuses on a single map?
Join the GameFAQs PS4 BF1 Platoon! Open to all. Clan tag [GFAQ].

User Info: Onion_Duck

Onion_Duck
1 month ago#4
AngrySquid270 posted...
Thermador446 posted...

Is the only difference between Shock Ops and the old 40man Ops the fact that Shock Ops focuses on a single map?

Pretty much. New maps I guess.
PSN: Onion_Duck

User Info: BA2929

BA2929
1 month ago#5
Shock Operations is easily my favorite mode now.Glad it's coming to BFV. OG Operations just takes too long.

Too bad it's only 5 maps though. They're going to get stale really quickly.
"Two grand slams in a week - man, that's seven or eight ribbies right there."
- Bill Madlock, Baseball broadcaster

User Info: GreatNinjaman

GreatNinjaman
1 month ago#6
Thermador446 posted...

But I already got all of the Operations battlepack melee weapons...
ERAUQSSIDLROWEHT

User Info: Thermador446

Thermador446
1 month ago#7
GreatNinjaman posted...
Thermador446 posted...

But I already got all of the Operations battlepack melee weapons...

I think i need like 5 more pieces, i care more about getting double xp boosts than the melee weapons
"While you were wasting your time castrating a priceless antique, I was systematically feeding babies to hungry mutated puppies!" -The Monarch

User Info: DesertPenguin09

DesertPenguin09
1 month ago#8
I don't mind that it's a little unbalanced. I just always switch to the attacking side and it's like Conquest without the defending. Just keep advancing and don't worry about what was behind you. That's how most people play Conquest anyway but that mode punishes you for that with campers and what not. Operations doesn't have that issue as much. I'm a simple man
The sun is coming up, over the hill
Or maybe it's not I can't even tell...
  1. Boards
  2. Battlefield 1
  3. Shock Operations

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived