• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
  3. Can you give me some tips on how to play DQ XI S: DE with Stronger Monsters on?

User Info: jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo
3 weeks ago#1
I have beaten DQ 1,2, 3, 4 and 8. So I immediately put stronger monsters on after reading that normal was VERY EASY. The stronger monsters' option give me the impression of being unbalanced. It does not makes sense that you have 25 HP and you have normal enemies taking 10 HP AND they have priority over you lol. I just got Erik in my party.

1)Should I just deal with it an it will eventually balance itself with more party members?

2) Does this option on makes the game way better?

3) What is the strategy when playing with strong monsters' option on?

User Info: TriforceBun

TriforceBun
3 weeks ago#2
1. It gets more manageable the more party members you have. Early on, I'd recommend putting lots of herbs in Erik's inventory so both of your characters have healing options in an emergency. You'll very soon get a new gameplay element that will let you make your armor and weapons quite a bit better.

2. In my opinion, oh yeah. The fact that you're challenged makes all the game's little systems (exploring for materials, forging, buying things, upgrading skillsets, leveling up) feel that much more satisfying. I'm curious which versions of DQ1, 2, 3, 4 and 8 you've played--I think Stronger Monsters XI is on-par with the original releases of 4 and 8, and easier than the original release of 2, but the rereleases of all 5 of those games are easier than the original releases.

3. Depends on your party and their layout. I went for raw power with the Hero to minimize the number of turns the enemies took by killing them faster, so Greatswords were for me. With Erik, you can either prioritize single-target damage with knives, or (slightly weaker) multi-target damage with boomerangs. Pack plenty of items early on and remember that whoever is in the front of your lineup gets attacked more often, so if you have Hero on Sword+Shield, he should probably be in the front to absorb more damage with his higher defense.

Good luck!
You're lookin' sweet today! You're lookin' chubby today!

User Info: jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo
3 weeks ago#3
TriforceBun posted...
1. It gets more manageable the more party members you have. Early on, I'd recommend putting lots of herbs in Erik's inventory so both of your characters have healing options in an emergency. You'll very soon get a new gameplay element that will let you make your armor and weapons quite a bit better.

2. In my opinion, oh yeah. The fact that you're challenged makes all the game's little systems (exploring for materials, forging, buying things, upgrading skillsets, leveling up) feel that much more satisfying. I'm curious which versions of DQ1, 2, 3, 4 and 8 you've played--I think Stronger Monsters XI is on-par with the original releases of 4 and 8, and easier than the original release of 2, but the rereleases of all 5 of those games are easier than the original releases.

3. Depends on your party and their layout. I went for raw power with the Hero to minimize the number of turns the enemies took by killing them faster, so Greatswords were for me. With Erik, you can either prioritize single-target damage with knives, or (slightly weaker) multi-target damage with boomerangs. Pack plenty of items early on and remember that whoever is in the front of your lineup gets attacked more often, so if you have Hero on Sword+Shield, he should probably be in the front to absorb more damage with his higher defense.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!
1)I will do it!
2) iOS for 1, 2 and 3. DS for 4. Original for 8
3) i guess switch stronger monsters I HAVE TO Have a shield at the beginning

User Info: Boomerang78

Boomerang78
3 weeks ago#4
I have to wonder how people say that Stronger Monsters is on par with the original release of VIII. I've played both the 3DS and PS2 versions of that game and neither is nearly as hard as XI with Stronger Monsters. The only game I'd put up there with Stronger Monsters in terms of difficulty is the second half of II, which was infamously not playtested. I played Stronger Monsters on PS4 and the Slayer of the Sands and Dora-in-Grey was harder than any other boss encounter in the series, outside of superbosses.
http://i.imgur.com/pYZ2HBS.gif

User Info: tw1g_007

tw1g_007
3 weeks ago#5
Boomerang78 posted...
I have to wonder how people say that Stronger Monsters is on par with the original release of VIII. I've played both the 3DS and PS2 versions of that game and neither is nearly as hard as XI with Stronger Monsters. The only game I'd put up there with Stronger Monsters in terms of difficulty is the second half of II, which was infamously not playtested. I played Stronger Monsters on PS4 and the Slayer of the Sands and Dora-in-Grey was harder than any other boss encounter in the series, outside of superbosses.

This is definitely the hardest DQ ever made.
MHPortable 3rd AGGL Legend. I am one of the main reasons Bushido & Brave Gunlancing exists today on MHX/X. Please show appropriate respect. Thank you.

User Info: Hito_Shura

Hito_Shura
3 weeks ago#6
I agree, dq8 on ps2 difficulty came from no mp recovery at level up. Which was fine since ds version is way too easy because pf that. 11 stronger monsters is probably the best difficulty ever in a turn based rpg and I have played A LOT of them.

User Info: Curse

Curse
3 weeks ago#7
I kept Hero with sword and shield the whole time for extra defense and got him Zap as early as possible and used that as his main way of dealing damage until I had enough points to respec into Gigaslash. Enemies on Stronger Monsters have high defense, but it doesn't look like their resistances change, so magic is especially useful and the Zap spells are the strongest that the hero can learn. Once you have your full party, it's all about buffing your defenses and using Dazzle when possible (makes physical-oriented bosses much easier) to make healing more manageable. During the short time when the party is small, going into boss fights with Erik pepped and using Scorched Earth right at the start makes a big difference (I think he gets that pep power at around level 8).

User Info: gamerprince1999

gamerprince1999
3 weeks ago#8
Yeah early on stronger monsters is somewhat difficult. you'll find yourself healing after every single battle, however it gets far more easier to manage as you get stronger and get more abilities.

User Info: Sansoldier

Sansoldier
3 weeks ago#9
The beginning of stronger monsters is unbalanced until you get a full party, then the balance adjusts itself.

The kingsbarrow boss remains one of the toughest in the game due to your lack of options, unless you level up to a particular point.
http://www.youtube.com/user/san3711

User Info: Then00bAvenger

Then00bAvenger
3 weeks ago#10
One of those options is 'put one to sleep and then just kill them both without waking the sleeping one' which is easy enough at a fairly modest level of 8. The problem early on isn't the bosses so much as the regular encounters. You have to treat them seriously and sometimes you have to heal multiple times in the middle of battle(which also means making sure Erik has herbs on hand) and it can be kind of annoying. The first real challenging boss is Slayer of Sands and then after that the difficulty calms down in general.
A refusal of praise is a desire to be praised twice.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
  3. Can you give me some tips on how to play DQ XI S: DE with Stronger Monsters on?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers