• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
  3. I'm fairly certain Agitily is not working properly

User Info: Xyekenvort

Xyekenvort
3 weeks ago#1
For context, i've completed DQXI twice: on PC and now on Switch. When I completed it for the first time I immediately recognized it was the most fun i've had with an RPG, and it's only behind Breath of the Wild in my list of favorite games ever. I adore this game, and because of my adoration for it and after playing it on Switch the flaws start to become more apparent - namely the way this game handles the Agility stat.

I'm currently trying to find strategies to beat the Secret Trial and the new superboss, so having characters take their turn in the most optimal order is key. So I crafted a few meteorite bracers and angel sandals and equiped them on my characters...and then I started noticing that Jade was suddenly outspeeding Rab with meteorite bracers equiped.

And after that I started noticing some really weird s*** that i'm pretty certain was not intended by the developers. I've had Serena outspeeding Veronica even though she had half her Agility, Jade literally outspeeds everyone almost 100% of the time when shes pepped up even with all other party members with bracers and sandals equiped. Hell, I once had Serena outspeed Rab when Serena had 280 Agility and Rab 460. So I gave up on trying to have a consistent order of turns in battle. Unless Horii pulls a Miyazaki and responds with "Agility is working as intended", i'm fairly certain this is not working as intended.

And that's why i'm here. Am I missing something guys? Is there anything else I can do to have better control of the turn order, besides insade grinding for agility seeds? (I really wanted to avoid this)
"Our imperfection gave birth to art.", some pretentious f***
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Volug

Volug
3 weeks ago#2
I believe there’s a layer of RNG for turn order. Your highest agility characters are more likely to go first, but it’s not guaranteed.

Xyekenvort
3 weeks ago#3
Volug posted...
I believe there’s a layer of RNG for turn order. Your highest agility characters are more likely to go first, but it’s not guaranteed.

I thought of that, but if that's the case then I fundamentally disagree with that kind of design. Isn't the point of the agility acessories to have control over the turn order? If RNG still takes priority in a few instances it beats the whole purpose of it imo.

User Info: The_Bones

The_Bones
3 weeks ago#4
Xyekenvort posted...
Volug posted...

I thought of that, but if that's the case then I fundamentally disagree with that kind of design. Isn't the point of the agility acessories to have control over the turn order? If RNG still takes priority in a few instances it beats the whole purpose of it imo.

You do have control, just not complete control. Frankly, I think it makes the combat more interesting to have a varying turn order. Turn order works a lot like initiative does in D&D where certain character may have an advantage but bad dice rolls could still seem them taking the last turn in combat.

User Info: tureliors

tureliors
3 weeks ago#5
Yeah as people said, Agility only gives the character a "chance" to go first depending on the number. Most of times should work like you want to if you carefully build their agility a certain way, but it will happen different turn orders because of the RNG nature of the mechanic.

User Info: Fwahm

Fwahm
3 weeks ago#6
I don't know if this is how it's calculated in this game, but generally Dragon Quest calculates turn order by taking a random value between 50% and 100% of their agility for each character/monster and comparing them. Thus, while having more agility makes it more likely to attack first, you won't attack first 100% of the time until you have more than double the other's agility.

Yes, it's dumb, but Dragon Quest has historically been very RNG-driven in battle. There's:

Semi-random turn order
Monster AI is random rather than script based
Semi-random wild monster groups, even with field monsters (Oh, you attack a crab? He might come with 3 mobs that either physical or do nothing, or he might come with 3 mobs that can all use Boom, or anything in between)
Many bosses randomly picking between 1, 2, or even 3 attacks in a turn
Players critting (with said crits instantly fodderizing otherwise difficult to kill metal slimes or ignoring giant piles of defense on a boss)
Some monsters critting (which is especially brutal in series where crits often ignore defense and reviving is difficult)
Attacks missing at a higher rate than most RPG
Negative status effects sometimes missing (including spells that enhance land rate also sometimes missing)
Status effects having random durations
Random actions under confusion status
Attacks that randomly pick targets, like Swords Dance or Multithrust (especially when used by a boss)
Incredibly low drop and steal rates (worse in previous games, though)
Random chance to ambush an enemy or get ambushed
Probably more I'm forgetting

This game even adds two more in Shypox and instant game overs if Hero dies when under Draconian Quests.

The huge amounts of RNG usually don't matter because it's not very hard of a game, but on superbosses or when under Draconian Quests, a bad streak can end your game out of nowhere. On my full Draconian Quest run (still in progress), I've lost count of the times I've lost to a random encounter on my level without getting a single action in (they ambush me and I lose 4 turns + 3 turns to shypox and everyone dies, I get into a battle and they all attack Hero before any of my guys get their turn and he dies, etc).
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Ozzy_98

Ozzy_98
3 weeks ago#7
As others have said, it's simi-random. To make it worse, everyone's agility (AGI? AGL? Too early in the morning to remember) is close to each other. If you give more than one person an AGL boosting item, in most cases all bets are off who'll move first. It does, however, mean you're more likely to move than the foes.

If you give just one person a speed boost, and they had high AGI to begin with, then they're more likely to go first. And the higher peoples AGLs are, the more likely to go first.
2019 RPGs-35
Latest Bloodstained(10/3) ChampionsKrynn(10/9) DeathKnightsKrynn(10/12)DarkQueenOfKrynn(10/16) PoolofRadiance(11/5, World Record speedrun 11/9)

User Info: Sansoldier

Sansoldier
3 weeks ago#8
If I could see turn order, it wouldn't be so bad, but it's both pretty random and I have no idea whether I could get unlucky and have enemies go twice in a row.

Once you get meteorite bracers, you can make your team have 100s of difference of agility to remain somewhat consistent, but it's still not guaranteed.
http://www.youtube.com/user/san3711

Xyekenvort
3 weeks ago#9
So Agility only gives you better chances of going first? That's weird because i've played the original four games (nes versions) recently, and currently going through V, and the turn order was 100% consistent dare I say. I can't confirm it right now but I do remember fighting the last boss of IV, and Alena was always first for example. I also remember having a completely consistent turn order against the last boss of III, so I could plan things accordingly.

Maybe I just had luck, but if so I just disagree with the whole RNG thing affecting things that the players feel like they should be able to control.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Fwahm

Fwahm
3 weeks ago#10
I don't have the others' info offhand, but I just looked up DQ3's NES implementaion, and turn order is even MORE random there, being based on 25% to 100% of agility instead of 50% to 100% as in this game.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
  3. I'm fairly certain Agitily is not working properly
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers