• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
  3. So, the Luminary is kind of...*spoilers partway through Part 2*

User Info: AuraFalchion

AuraFalchion
1 month ago#51
Like others have mentioned, I think that's the point. He was raised as a normal village kid in a small town hidden in the mountains. All the other members of your party are both older and with heavy training in specific types of combat/magic. His inexperience was done on purpose to hammer in how even "chosen ones" need companions.

The mere fact that he grows to become that strong and learn those powerful sword/magic skills through the adventure, despite having no prior combat background whatsoever before it began, is amazing on itself. Heck, it doesn't even seem like there was someone in Cobblestone who could teach him swordplay, so what he knew he probably taught to himself. I wouldn't be surprised if being a pervious Hero's reincarnation gave him an innate talent for it.

DuranmanX4 posted...
I mean that is something specific to the Luminary

AFAIK his Magical Attack is worse than Rab and Veronica, his Strength is worse than Eight and Sylvando, and his Magical Mending is worse than Serena

That's one way to see it.

Another to see it is that he's got less training in everything than everyone else in his party, and yet he has better strength than anyone other than Eight (he surpasses both Jade and Sylvando after a while), has better healing than Veronica and Eight, better magical attack than Serena or Sylvando, is more durable than all of them except for Eight, etc. The point is all of these had to have received general training their whole lives, while the Luminary didn't. And yet he surpasses them all at everything except for their primary specialities.

QuasiSeal posted...
It’s intentional. He has no training, being the Luminary doesn’t grant him any superhuman strength or skills, he’s just an average country kid. Though IIRC he does come to Eight’s aid in the early part of Act 2 when they fight together.

Im pretty sure both the Zap line of spells and the ability to Pep at will, are both considered "genetic" traits of the Luminary.
His Luminary skilltree also has many substantial boosts to all his stats, so I'd say being the Luminary does grant increased abilities. The issue is that he doesn't "start" with them, but has to unlock them through experience.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
  3. So, the Luminary is kind of...*spoilers partway through Part 2*
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers