• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
  3. So, the Luminary is kind of...*spoilers partway through Part 2*

User Info: KamikazePotato

KamikazePotato
4 weeks ago#1
A wimp, isn't he?

I don't think I've ever seen an RPG protagonist who needs rescuing more than he does. He's good at hitting things with a sword in gameplay, but in cutscenes he gets bailed out by his party members and plot NPCs constantly. Off the top of my head, these are the instances I remember from what I've played of the game so far:

-Gets bailed out of jail by Erik (who also recovers from the leap of faith before you do)
-Erik takes a magic attack meant for him when they're being chased after in Gondolia
-Gets rescued from Hendrik by Jade, who also no-sells jumping off a cliff whole you have to be nursed back to health
-Gets rescued from Hendrik by Jade, again, like ten minutes later
-Passes out after getting frozen by Krystalinda (note that Hendrik was also frozen and walks away like nothing happened), has to get nursed back to health by Veronica and co.
-Gets s***wrecked by Mordegon right before he can grab the Plot Sword, causing the world to be Final Fantasy VI'd
-Gets rescued and nursed back to health Mermaid Queen
-Mermaid Queen uses herself and her own CITY as a distraction so he can escape
-Gets taken care of by random fisherman
-Hendrik deflects an enemy about to sneak attack you in a cutscene
-Would have fallen prey to the Gloomnivore without his dead mom snapping him out of it
-Falls out of the ship when it's attacked by the big sea monster, has to be Deus Ex Machina'd back to safety by the Seer

And I know there's some instances I'm forgetting. He falls unconscious so often it's hilarious. In contrast, it's hard for me to think of moments where he's been outright cool. Probably the part that comes closest is when you help Hendrik turn the tide in the battle to protect the Last Bastian.

Note that this isn't actually hurting my enjoyment of the game, it's just something I've noticed. If he hadn't lucked into having special protagonist powers via genetics - meaning that the party has to rally around him or they lose - the Luminary would just be some random shmuck. Maybe that's the point? A few random NPCs you can talk to actually complain about how the Luminary is arbitrarily better than them despite being way less experienced.
Black Turtle did a pretty good job.

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
4 weeks ago#2
It's purposely done to show the Hero needs his party as much as his party needs him

This is also shown in gameplay, where the Hero needs other people healing him, defending him or attacking for him if he wants to win
The official Dragon Quest VIII Hero of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate boards
My game collection: https://i.imgtc.ws/mDiH2Jc.jpg https://i.imgtc.ws/kfs7GI8.jpg

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
4 weeks ago#3
I'm sure this topic will get a lot more replies than the "Is Erik gay tho" topic.

LOL

Ya, I agree they did well making the protagonist seem like a weakling that can't win and that grows into something strong through perseverance. Like how Sylvando comes to the conclusion that he should create the Smile Parade when he's down. Dave's whole speech thing.
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Raelic Gog: https://www.gog.com/u/WoodenRook
https://media.tenor.com/images/ba9d412c253f22d44f44687807b4e7ac/tenor.gif

User Info: qberry222

qberry222
4 weeks ago#4
I mean... There's all the gameplay parts you're ignoring where you're the Hero slaying giant monsters and saving people with your friends in heroic fashion

What he does near the start of act 3 is pretty baller, tho
Beep beep ribby ribby

User Info: CW Boi 209

CW Boi 209
4 weeks ago#5
To be fair, he's only 16 (also likely he youngest in the party) and probably never left Cobblestone until now. Unless I'm mistaken, I'm surprised he even knows swordsmanship since I don't think there was anyone there who would be able to teach him.
i9 9900K | 16GB Corsair Veangance | EVGA RTX 2080 ti XC | Crucial SSD 250GB & 2TB | Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI | NZXT H500i

User Info: KamikazePotato

KamikazePotato
4 weeks ago#6
CW Boi 209 posted...
To be fair, he's only 16 (also likely he youngest in the party) and probably never left Cobblestone until now. Unless I'm mistaken, I'm surprised he even knows swordsmanship since I don't think there was anyone there who would be able to teach him.

There's some dude at the Mount Pai Lang or whatever it's called who talks about how he's been training for 20 years to learn Quadraslash - the move you learned in five minutes - and still hasn't quite mastered it yet. I felt so bad for that guy.

Luminary is definitely a prodigy, yeah, it's just that I'm used to main characters being instantly better at everything they do forever. Not a bad change from the norm, just different.
Black Turtle did a pretty good job.

User Info: Moonbrook

Moonbrook
4 weeks ago#7
What CW Boi said. The Luminary is a small town kid who, had life gone differently, never would have left Cobblestone and would have married Gemma. Maybe done some farming or fishing.

As it stands, the fact that he is, in fact, quite powerful despite that is pretty impressive. Sure, he needs help from his friends, but it wouldn't be a JRPG if that wasn't the case. It would be a s***ty Western RPG, where you play as a buff middle-aged dude and can have any woman you want because reasons.
Ordis is hap- angry.
Hmm.... I may require maintenance after all.

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
4 weeks ago#8
KamikazePotato posted...
There's some dude at the Mount Pai Lang or whatever it's called who talks about how he's been training for 20 years to learn Quadraslash - the move you learned in five minutes - and still hasn't quite mastered it yet. I felt so bad for that guy.

Luminary is definitely a prodigy, yeah, it's just that I'm used to main characters being instantly better at everything they do forever. Not a bad change from the norm, just different.

I mean that is something specific to the Luminary

AFAIK his Magical Attack is worse than Rab and Veronica, his Strength is worse than Eight and Sylvando, and his Magical Mending is worse than Serena

He is good at everything, but there are those even greater
The official Dragon Quest VIII Hero of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate boards
My game collection: https://i.imgtc.ws/mDiH2Jc.jpg https://i.imgtc.ws/kfs7GI8.jpg

User Info: QuasiSeal

QuasiSeal
4 weeks ago#9
It’s intentional. He has no training, being the Luminary doesn’t grant him any superhuman strength or skills, he’s just an average country kid. Though IIRC he does come to Eight’s aid in the early part of Act 2 when they fight together. Also towards the end of Act 1 vs Jörmun.

User Info: Baby_Rool

Baby_Rool
4 weeks ago#10
Let's not forget that monsters running the moment they see him in the field is tied to "his" level. Not his companions.
Meaning if he is at 99 and monsters are bolting when they see him, its him they are running s***less from.
My point is it makes him seem a lot tougher.
I will Destwoy Donkey Kong!
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
  3. So, the Luminary is kind of...*spoilers partway through Part 2*
  • Topic Archived