• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Eretai

Eretai
1 month ago#31
AngelosTheHero posted...
... which makes me wonder why he's reviewing one.

Clicks, reactions, views. What every YouTuber fishes for.

User Info: bidas100

bidas100
1 month ago#32
Blancshammer posted...
Because I heard his BS before and find it to be old, tired, and inane.

Great. No one want to read you complain about a video you didn't watch, especially when you make up your own summary of it.
Fun fact: DC Comics is short for Detective Conan Comics.
Thank you for taking the time to read my signature. My signature loves you.

User Info: Tobi011

Tobi011
1 month ago#33
People take Dunkey’s reviews seriously?

User Info: Ozzy_98

Ozzy_98
1 month ago#34
Da f*** is a dunkey?
2019 RPGs-31
LatestRhapsody(9/12)PoolsOfDarkness(9/26)GatewayToTheSavageFrontier(9/29) TreasureOfTheSavageFrontier(10/3)Bloodstained(10/3)ChampiansOfKrynn(10/9)

User Info: Mulate

Mulate
1 month ago#35
rpglover1243 posted...
I think dunky just really loves to piss off certain fanbases for the laughs. He probably doesn't actually hate rpg's
Do you think this guy is sarcastic in everyone of his videos or something? He even said in an interview with H3 podcast that he doesnt like jrpgs.

User Info: zado19

zado19
1 month ago#36
MetaKirb7 posted...
I absolutely agree with him about the ... lack of innovation in the genre.

you shouldnt....
Smash replays
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqY6lLXxBAUq-7KSPbDYP5w
(message deleted)

User Info: Valkenhyne

Valkenhyne
1 month ago#38
Mulate posted...
rpglover1243 posted...
I think dunky just really loves to piss off certain fanbases for the laughs. He probably doesn't actually hate rpg's
Do you think this guy is sarcastic in everyone of his videos or something? He even said in an interview with H3 podcast that he doesnt like jrpgs.

Your first mistake was listening to/watching the H3 podcast...

User Info: Uru_Zeph

Uru_Zeph
1 month ago#39
MetaKirb7 posted...
Blancshammer posted...
Guy who hates RPGS reviews an RPG. Already not worth listening to.
Avoids enemies whenever possible. Whines when he has to grind for the levels he missed out on.
Get the freak outta here with that BS.

MetaKirb7 posted...
He's goes into detail on that in this video of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBqk7I5-0I0

There's a difference, though, between criticizing a person for reviewing a game they clearly don't like, vs. that person reviewing a game from a genre they clearly don't like, and that's what people are pointing out here.

If a person generally likes FPS games, for example, but dislikes and reviews some specific FPS poorly, then you can't really chalk that up to bias against the genre, and the review has more authenticity lended to it. However, if you go out and say "I hate FPS games, I think the mechanics in them are garbage," then go on to review several FPS games poorly, then that's when people begin to question your life choices and why you're even bothering to review something that you don't like in the first place.

Here's why--if you don't like a specific kind/genre of game, then you're unlikely to know what makes these games good to people who do like them, and you're likely to misunderstand, misinterpret, or simply intentionally misrepresent the qualities of what makes these fun for other people. Your reviews aren't helpful to fans of that genre, which are the kind of people that are most likely to be watching the review. Even if you do on a random lightning-strike chance happen to like a game from a genre you don't usually like, it's very likely that your review is still going to be unhelpful because it's entirely possible that what they changed that makes you like the game more might be what makes fans of the genre hate it.

However, after saying all that, Dunkey can do what he wants, and really, I'm going to go ahead and contradict everything I just said and point out that it is still valuable to have critical voices out there who review games from genres that they know they really don't care for. If you want to watch a review from someone who is a fan of the genre, those are easy enough to find. Having more voices from more perspectives in the mix is valuable because, for instance, other people who are not fans of the genre can gain some value from watching or reading a review from someone like them, and it increases the chance that they might go out on a limb and try a game from that genre when the reviewer--who usually dislikes the genre like they do--says that they enjoyed it.

The problem is that people act like there's any sort of authority in video game reviews, like they can use reviews as irrefutable evidence to back up their own arguments for why (x) game is "great!" or "terrible!" They then post a review from a source known to be overly critical and/or dislike the kind of game being reviewed and discussed, and everyone rolls their eyes and groans as they once again have to point out the obvious problem with sourcing a review of peanut butter from someone who hates peanut butter.

User Info: MarkMahWords

MarkMahWords
1 month ago#40
The people making angry comments need to relax. You're taking to heart what is essentially a video made to make people laugh. You may find it unfunny, but that doesn't change the fact it's not entirely serious and it's for fun. The game is great. You don't need someone with a contrary opinion to rile your panties in a bunch.
  • Topic Archived