• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
  3. Some of story references to past Dragon Quest games found in Dragon Quest XI

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
1 month ago#1
Gere are all the references to past Dragon Quest games I could find, mainly focusing from the beginning of the demo to when you reach Gallopolis, to avoid story spoilers for Dragon Quest XI S, however it will include some light spoilers to Dragon Quest 1-8, which I have played most recently

the intro movie where the Luminary is born and the castle is destroyed, leading to him to have to escape

-while the intro is obviously a reference to Dragon Quest II with the destruction of Moonbrooke, it also has a lot of similarities to Gotha in Dragon Quest V, which wasn't destroyed, but there is a similarity to the chosen one being born leading the monsters to attempt to abduct the child, in Dragon Quest V with the Hero Madason and his children Parry and Madchen

Cobblestone and the Cobblestone Tor, a small village away from the larger Kingdom of Heliodor, and it's eventual destruction by the King

-instances of Heroes being raised (though not always born) in a small village town away from the Kingdom happens in Dragon Quest IV, V, VI and VII. However, I feel it's most connected to Dragon Quest VI, given the references to the spirit of the land and being surrounded by mountains and innocent village folk. The destruction of the Hero's adopted hometown by the King of Heliodor is likely a reference to Dragon Quest V, where the Queen of Coburg destroyed the village of Whealbrook due to Pankraz hailing from there, much like Cobblestone is destroyed due to Hero being raised there

Hero befriends the thief Erik, who comes from the rough part of Heliodor

-I think this might be a reference to the Hero in Dragon Quest VIII befriending Yangus as one of his earliest teammates, but that's not entirely concrete

the woodcutter in Manglegrove that is transformed into a dog

-even though the circumstances and cure differs, I'm going to say this is a reference to Dragon Quest II when the Princess of Moonbrooke is turned into a dog

Revisiting past Cobblestone and speaking to your younger self and father figure

-this seems like a direct reference to Dragon Quest V, with the Hero having grown older meeting his younger self and father after visiting Fairie Palace. Extra similarity with those both being a time before the place is destroyed

Hotto, Japanese village and people speaking in Haikus

-this is ripped directly from Jipang in Dragon Quest III, however, one key difference is that the people of Hotto seem relatively more welcome to tourists whereas Jipang was xenophobic, similar to how Japan actually was during the Tokugawa Shogunate

these are all the obvious ones I noticed, but if there is more let me know.
The official Dragon Quest VIII Hero of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate boards
My game collection: https://i.imgtc.ws/mDiH2Jc.jpg https://i.imgtc.ws/kfs7GI8.jpg

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
1 month ago#2
The meeting with Erik is unique in that it's a reverse of the Yangus + Guv meeting, but the baseline backstory we're given definitely ties closer into Yangus, in that through the Hero, the former Thief is redeemed. Though his larger narrative fits better with Terry's story from DQ6. He also takes after Terry in the sense that Terry is out to become the most powerful swordsman in the world, and Erik becomes the most powerful character with all any of his three weapon options (they also both have similar stats...high agility, reasonable strength/hp, sub-par mp pool, decent defense, similar armour options, more akin to a light-speedy swordsman). There's also a tie-in with the orb he seeks to reclaim being red in colour, and Yangus getting a treasure for his girl, Red.
Life can be unexpected. Embrace and prepare for anything.

User Info: waterfell

waterfell
1 month ago#3
If you borrow the dog to scare the guard it's a bit like borrowing the dog to scare the fox in DQ IV.

Destruction of hero's hometown happens in DQ IV as well.

Your village sending you to the nearby town/castle is a bit like DQ VI sending you to Haggleton and Somnia.

Magical twins is repeated from DQ IV Maya and Meena.

"You're 16 and by the way you're supposed to be a hero now go to the king" is the intro of DQ III, subverted a bit in XI since it doesn't play out the same. It's also pretty much a JRPG trope though.

Himeko the revered ruler of Hotto is similar to the attitudes towards the ruler of Jipang in DQ III.

Edit: And if you search for the kid hiding in downtown Heliodor to get his information, it's like when Mo the Mole hides and you find him to get his info in DQ VI.

User Info: Ozzy_98

Ozzy_98
1 month ago#4
Here's some of the references listed in the japanese clue book:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/txRajfKfXJZVNw2bA

The Manglegrove woodcutter may also be part of a reference to VII. It's the reverse of this, the wolf becomes a boy, who befriends a woodcutter in the woods.

2019 RPGs - 26
Latest YoKaiWatch2(6/10)RoboTrek(7/13) BoF3(8/4)ArcTheLad(8/7)Arc2(8/25)ParasiteEve(9/1) DragonWarrior(9/8) Rhapsody (PS1) (9/12)

User Info: bidas100

bidas100
1 month ago#5
Ozzy_98 posted...
The Manglegrove woodcutter may also be part of a reference to VII. It's the reverse of this, the wolf becomes a boy, who befriends a woodcutter in the woods.

Someone said there were no references to VII.
Fun fact: DC Comics is short for Detective Conan Comics.
Thank you for taking the time to read my signature. My signature loves you.

DuranmanX4
1 month ago#6
behindtheword posted...
The meeting with Erik is unique in that it's a reverse of the Yangus + Guv meeting, but the baseline backstory we're given definitely ties closer into Yangus, in that through the Hero, the former Thief is redeemed. Though his larger narrative fits better with Terry's story from DQ6. He also takes after Terry in the sense that Terry is out to become the most powerful swordsman in the world, and Erik becomes the most powerful character with all any of his three weapon options (they also both have similar stats...high agility, reasonable strength/hp, sub-par mp pool, decent defense, similar armour options, more akin to a light-speedy swordsman). There's also a tie-in with the orb he seeks to reclaim being red in colour, and Yangus getting a treasure for his girl, Red.

Would explain why Terry and Milly, Yangus and Red, and Erik and Mia all got Dragon Quest spinoffs of when they were kids
My game collection: https://i.imgtc.ws/mDiH2Jc.jpg https://i.imgtc.ws/kfs7GI8.jpg

DuranmanX4
1 month ago#7
waterfell posted...
Magical twins is repeated from DQ IV Maya and Meena.

I was going to make the reference to the Mothra esque twins in Leiamland in Dragon Quest III, but the references are more felt later on than at this point

User Info: bidas100

bidas100
1 month ago#8
DuranmanX4 posted...
behindtheword posted...

Would explain why Terry and Milly, Yangus and Red, and Erik and Mia all got Dragon Quest spinoffs of when they were kids

Which other game are Erik and Mia in?
Fun fact: DC Comics is short for Detective Conan Comics.
Thank you for taking the time to read my signature. My signature loves you.

DuranmanX4
1 month ago#9
bidas100 posted...
DuranmanX4 posted...
behindtheword posted...

Which other game are Erik and Mia in?

It hasn't released yet but it's been announced they will be in a new Dragon Quest Monsters

User Info: AngelosTheHero

AngelosTheHero
1 month ago#10
behindtheword posted...
There's also a tie-in with the orb he seeks to reclaim being red in colour, and Yangus getting a treasure for his girl, Red.

I don't think Red's English name has much to do with references the Japanese writers to make. It would be a more apt comparison if Erik were looking for a gold or yellow orb, as Red's Japanese name is Gelda.
3DS Friend Code: 0087-2458-1255 Aeon
ACNL: Mayor Sakurai of Harukawa Dream Address: 7D00-00AF-A89F
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
  3. Some of story references to past Dragon Quest games found in Dragon Quest XI
  • Topic Archived