• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Team_Snitch

Team_Snitch
3 weeks ago#1
anyone else facing this problem
the enemies ramp up to a ridiculous degree so that you can die to random battles if you dont pay attention. when those archers cast the defence spell on themselves i was doing almost no damage to them.
yet you turn it off and get babby mode

anyone whos beaten the game before got any recommendations on which to go with
BEASTモードPIGZIGPIGZIGPIGZIGPIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG
PIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG

User Info: aeoncs

aeoncs
3 weeks ago#2
If you value some challenge, definitely stick with at least Stronger Enemies; if you're having trouble, think about what you could be doing better and/or just grind it out a bit.

Save for some very cheap mechanics, Stronger Enemies is actually pretty fair, for the most part, while providing a very good challenge. Normal is just ridiculously easy, like Suikoden V levels of easy.

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
3 weeks ago#3
A good testing point that you can unfortunately not reach in the demo is the Slayer of the Sands

Depending on if you can beat him or not should determine whether you should probably keep Stronger Monsters on

I know many people that thought the game was too easy yet lost against him
The official Dragon Quest VIII Hero of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate boards
My game collection: https://i.imgtc.ws/mDiH2Jc.jpg https://i.imgtc.ws/kfs7GI8.jpg
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: kumorixLoveless

kumorixLoveless
3 weeks ago#4
Well back to my 3DS version i did find battles a tad too easy but Draconian feels so right. Like perfectly balanced for me.
PSP | Vita | DSi | 3DS XL + N3DS XL | Nintendo Switch | Nvidia Shield Portable | Sega Genesis 3 | NES | SNES | DreamCast | PS2 |

User Info: The_Bones

The_Bones
3 weeks ago#5
Draconian is pretty difficult when starting out due to your lack of resources and available spells. Later on bosses will still pose good challenges but the regular encounters become a lot more manageable.

User Info: gamerprince1999

gamerprince1999
3 weeks ago#6
That's because draconian stronger monsters wasn't balanced properly and sadly it seems they didn't bother re-balancing it for the Switch version

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
3 weeks ago#7
gamerprince1999 posted...
That's because draconian stronger monsters wasn't balanced properly and sadly it seems they didn't bother re-balancing it for the Switch version

To be fair, Draconian Quest was meant to be a challenge not a difficulty setting
The official Dragon Quest VIII Hero of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate boards
My game collection: https://i.imgtc.ws/mDiH2Jc.jpg https://i.imgtc.ws/kfs7GI8.jpg

User Info: Havic101

Havic101
3 weeks ago#8

The game in general is one of the most well balanced turn based RPGs on the market. That includes the Stronger Monsters setting.

Just about every option players have available, be it abilities or equipment, is useful. The game always gives us access to the tools needed to take down whatever challenges it throws at us, often not long before we have to face whatever that is. And while also having those challenges actually be challenging, so it's up to us players to acquire and make use of those tools in order to overcome them.

Oftentimes you can come into a tough boss battle, get your butt kicked, take note of what the boss is doing to make you lose, and come right back into it with a setup that helps counteract the problem. Causing the party to win convincingly without even needing to gain more level ups.

If anything, you could say the game ends up becoming too easy once you know this stuff. But part of the difficulty is not knowing what to expect at first. And part of the fun and satisfaction is figuring out a way to deal with it once you do know what enemies are gonna be throwing at you.

Of course, once you eventually do get to the point where you know what strategy and gear you need in order to defeat everything, that's what the other Draconian settings are for. Stuff like No Armor and No Shopping, limiting the tools you have access to for dealing with the challenges, and then telling us to deal with them anyway.

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
3 weeks ago#9

I would say it's EXTREMELY well balanced. They carefully adjusted stats based on where you're at, and likely setups (or likely most popular in Japan maybe? or those in the office or amongst the testers, or some unknown poll they put out we're not aware of in the West?).

They're all over the place and very specific to each monster. General normal monster start with about a 10~15% boost, some stats around 20~25 (HP), and this grows a little or a lot as the game progresses to make it just hard enough for JUST that setting. They were very precise with each adjustment. Some bosses have like a 200% bonus to their HP. Some enemies get only a touch of added stats, but have an extra turn per round at a certain rate, maybe 1/3rd of the time. They really went out of their way carefully and painstakingly tweaking on a very individual level.

The problem would stem with balancing with EXP cap on top of Stronger monsters. If they balanced for that too, that would take a lot of work, as they can't make it too easy, or everything is a pushover too quickly with just Stronger Monsters. Plus the idea of adding other Draconian settings on top of Stronger Monsters, is to further increase the challenge.
Life can be unexpected. Embrace and prepare for anything.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Then00bAvenger

Then00bAvenger
3 weeks ago#10
The beginning is disproportionally difficult compared to the rest of the game on Stronger Monsters because of the lack of options. Slayer of Sands in particular is a nasty customer since you still don't have the means to revive dead party members(except for like one item you can find iirc) but he can choose to kill whoever he wants minus Erik in a single hit if they're not defending. When he's not doing that he can hit your entire party for half their max HP using only one of his two turns while also blinding them. Sylvando's presence also means you can't debilitate him with Sleep.

I beat him by basically cheating by abusing a Pep Power and turtling through end-of-turn damage to survive his attacks. Thinking about fighting him legit gives me a headache.

Once you get over that hurdle it's mostly comfortable.
A refusal of praise is a desire to be praised twice.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  • Post New Message