• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Would the fan base be opposed to Link actually speaking?

User Info: Miqote

Miqote
3 weeks ago#1
I know he has traditionally not spoken much at all in these games but would people be up in arms if he actually had dialog?

Curious
Metroid Prime is a near flawless video game.

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
3 weeks ago#2
a good number of people, yeh. link's near-muteness has moved beyond a technical limitation and into a character trait. botw even makes it explicit, if there was any doubt before. to give him full dialogue now, whether text or voiced, would be a major change in how he's portrayed and characterized.
Welcome to the world of idiots.

User Info: DiviDude

DiviDude
3 weeks ago#3
Link is basically a non-character, so having no voice doesn't really matter. The exception might be Wind Waker, since Link actually seems to have something resembling a personality in that game and the silence is therefore incongruent. But still, it doesn't reach the absurdity of, say, Suikoden 5 where the main character is silent and tries to emote through exaggerated body language in a totally awkward and unnecessary way.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Song_Of_Healing

Song_Of_Healing
3 weeks ago#4
Im fine with him being silent

User Info: Alakazamtrainer

Alakazamtrainer
3 weeks ago#5
If I recall while not having a voice, A link between worlds link is seen explaining things... there just isn't any dialog on Links part... I'm assuming it's the same in most games, Link explains but is not given a "voice" to do so
http://steamcommunity.com/id/alakazamtrainer/ friend me on steam
also Alakazam will always triumph!

User Info: redmagelala

redmagelala
3 weeks ago#6
We did this already and it's the worst zelda game ever.
"I'm Lawful Stupid! Couldn't catch the cabbage man, but somehow got Neutral first try!"

User Info: shinyspheal

shinyspheal
3 weeks ago#7
Link seems to be really the silent type, I can't see him getting a voice without altering how he is viewed by people, he is stern but not edgy, can be awkward without being foolish, I feel giving him a voice would quickly change this and I don't like the idea much, unless his dialogue is very carefully planned.
3DS FC: 3711-7972-2938

User Info: Rockman2019

Rockman2019
3 weeks ago#8
He did speak. & it was annoying.

https://youtu.be/qzfXxkHrIBM
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: emiko

emiko
3 weeks ago#9
I wouldn't like, hate it enough to stop playing but I do prefer him largely silent. It's easier to project yourself into him as a character because you get to substitute your own thoughts/dialogue and imagine he's saying things the way you want. I like to s*** talk the enemies when I'm vanquishing them. "Oh, you want to take me on? Perhaps you've heard of my blade. They call it the Sword that Seals the Darkness, motherf***ers." Or, "And THAT is for hurting my horse!"

User Info: Justobuy

Justobuy
2 weeks ago#10
I think people like him more mute. Its not like the game story would be better with more text
Games on my backlog/not finish : 12
Currently playing : tetris 99, rogue legacy, angel punishment, mario maker 2
(edited 2 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Would the fan base be opposed to Link actually speaking?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A