• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Asking here because this is the most active Zelda thread (About Zelda NES)

User Info: lvalice

lvalice
1 month ago#1
Just a question about NES Ganon... But does the game ever tell you to fight Ganon and finish him off with a silver arrow specifically?

Much like the walls and bushes, there is often no tell that a wall or bush in the Overworld is destructible. It's trial and error through experimentation. Sometimes there are suspicious areas like the big Rock, but mostly youd dummy your way to a solution. Future games would add tells like using different textures to indicate something sus, or your sword making a different ting. The point is, usually every secret in a Zelda game has a telegraphed solution somewhere... Even the Korok Forrest/Lost woods in Breath of the Wild or secret loot caches, subtly implies the solution somewhere else in the game. I solved Korok First by Trial and Error, by running away in the opposite direction where I came before the spirits would get me, but I would atleast later find out that the game hinted the solution at a stable nearby as a rumor.

But 25 years later, my memory is hazy about the original Zelda. Being a kid with nothing but time and addiction to video games and internet not being a thing; kid me would eventually find every secret the game had to discover... The one thing I never accomplished was defeat Ganon. Maybe it was because I hadn't yet learned to read yet and I was oblivious to most texts, but I cannot remember specifically if the game itself, ever says to weaken Ganon with your sword, then shoot your shot to kill him.

The reason this is so important to me is because no other enemy in the game works like that. Every item is either very effective, less effective, or ineffective against enemies. You can eventually just brute-force many enemies with which ever item you know that will damage them, but you never have to use two items in a particular order to kill an enemy. So as a kid, I could never defeat Ganon because I could hit him with my sword, get feedback that I was damaging him, and then continue hitting him, with continually seeing that it's hurting him, but he never dies. Nothing up to that moment has prepared me to "you gotta shoot him with a silver arrow before he vanishes again" because no boss or enemy had ever made you do that before.

So I'm curious... Is there anything in the original NES game that implicitly states or hints that you can only defeat Ganon in that specific way? What is the tell that helps you beat the game? Unacceptable answers are "just getting the item is the hint" and "it was in Nintendo power"

This question should be answered with the reasoning that you're a kid with no internet, can hardly read (not that there is much reading in Zelda NES to begin with) , and have a mommy that won't buy you Nintendo power...could you find the answer before brute-force dummy your way into the answer?
Yeet
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
1 month ago#2
hm...not in the game itself, as far as i can see. the only in-game hint that could even apply is just "secret power is said to be in the arrow", and it's hard to imagine anyone, child or adult, jumping from that to "use silver arrows on ganon after swording him". and i'm pretty sure it's not even meant to be about ganon anyway; apparently the equivalent hint in the japanese version is about killing pol's voices by yelling into the microphone, and since the nes has no mic they made pol's voices weak to arrows, so that's likely what it's referring to. plus there is a separate hint in the japanese version telling you to look for arrows in death mountain, which is a small push in the right direction, but that's one of the hints that got replaced with borderline nonsense in the english version.

the english manual does nearly spell it out, though; it says you need to use the sword and "some other object". and it does at least mention the silver arrows alongside the rest of the items so you'll know to look for them.

lvalice posted...
The reason this is so important to me is because no other enemy in the game works like that. Every item is either very effective, less effective, or ineffective against enemies. You can eventually just brute-force many enemies with which ever item you know that will damage them, but you never have to use two items in a particular order to kill an enemy.
eh, not quite. you need to play the whistle to weaken digdogger before you can stab it to death
Welcome to the world of idiots.

User Info: zeldaha

zeldaha
1 month ago#3
"but that's one of the hints that got replaced with borderline nonsense in the english version."
Haha yeah this is insane. They (translators) just made up things , things that arent even true.

I have a whole book about the translation, you get a whole other vibe from the game.
(edited 1 month ago)

lvalice
1 month ago#4
DiogenesKC posted...
hm...not in the game itself, as far as i can see. the only in-game hint that could even apply is just "secret power is said to be in the arrow", and it's hard to imagine anyone, child or adult, jumping from that to "use silver arrows on ganon after swording him". and i'm pretty sure it's not even meant to be about ganon anyway; apparently the equivalent hint in the japanese version is about killing pol's voices by yelling into the microphone, and since the nes has no mic they made pol's voices weak to arrows, so that's likely what it's referring to. plus there is a separate hint in the japanese version telling you to look for arrows in death mountain, which is a small push in the right direction, but that's one of the hints that got replaced with borderline nonsense in the english version.

the english manual does nearly spell it out, though; it says you need to use the sword and "some other object". and it does at least mention the silver arrows alongside the rest of the items so you'll know to look for them.

eh, not quite. you need to play the whistle to weaken digdogger before you can stab it to death
Okay, one exception, and honestly I forgot that enemy, but I feel like digdogger is a little different because you don't get damage feedback until you've tried everything and eventually use the whistle... But you also have been using the whistle and know it's effects... So it's like the game teaches you before your encounter

But you're right I guess Ganon wasn't the only enemy in the game that required that strategy.
Yeet

User Info: nurlen

nurlen
1 month ago#5

lvalice posted...
But you also have been using the whistle and know it's effects... So it's like the game teaches you before your encounter
You get it in that dungeon. And it does nothing to every other enemy.

lvalice
1 month ago#6
nurlen posted...
I guess 25 years is a long time because I thought the bunnies were weak to the whistle
Yeet

User Info: CarbonButtflap

CarbonButtflap
1 month ago#7
nurlen posted...
Pols Voice
MGM Studios isn't SpieIberg. Fox isn't George RR Martin. Square Enix isn't Hironobu Sakaguchi. Great storyteIIers are who make great stories, not companies.

User Info: OhioLawyerF5

OhioLawyerF5
1 month ago#8
That's just how games were back then. We were in a transition from text based role playing games, to actual visual games in 8bit. It was a lot of trial and error.
"I have no justification for my positions" - Sailor_Razor
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Asking here because this is the most active Zelda thread (About Zelda NES)
  • Topic Closed

GameFAQs Q&A