• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Can anything be done about the unpredictability of the dragons?

User Info: Crazy4Metroid

Crazy4Metroid
1 month ago#1
When you are out dragon farming, can't you do anything to get those dragons to appear on a regular and consistent basis? It constantly feels like they show up without warning wherever, whenever they please. I have heard that praying at the spring associated with each dragon makes it so their appearance is regular and consistent. However, in my experience, that has not been the case. Even after praying at a spring, the dragon seems to show up at random.
I will lock this thread if I must. Take your immaturity elsewhere, it doesn't belong here!

User Info: Justobuy

Justobuy
1 month ago#2
They always show up at the same hours. I dont remember exactly when, but for each one i was able to just set a campfire, wait till night and they would show up within a minute. You just need to find the right spot
Games on my backlog/not finish : 10
Currently playing : botw (wii u), mario maker 2 (switch), a couple guitar hero (wii)

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
1 month ago#3
not really. they have consistent spawn points and times, except sometimes they just...don't, and i don't think anyone has figured out why.
Welcome to the world of idiots.

Crazy4Metroid
1 month ago#4
DiogenesKC posted...
not really. they have consistent spawn points and times, except sometimes they just...don't, and i don't think anyone has figured out why.
That's the annoying bit and is what bothers me the most. Of the three dragons, Dinraal more than Naydra or Farosh seems to be the most unpredictable with showing up.

Naydra tends to show up roughly 95% of the time in Lanayru Promenade and Farosh shows up just as consistently by Floria Bridge. Dinraal tends to rarely show up regardless of where I look for him. I have tried both the East Deplian Badlands near the Eldin Great Skeleton and Tanagar Canyon by Tabantha Great Bridge.

Anyone know of a better place to look for Dinraal?
I will lock this thread if I must. Take your immaturity elsewhere, it doesn't belong here!

User Info: wiggum

wiggum
1 month ago#5
Crazy4Metroid posted...
That's the annoying bit and is what bothers me the most. Of the three dragons, Dinraal more than Naydra or Farosh seems to be the most unpredictable with showing up.

Naydra tends to show up roughly 95% of the time in Lanayru Promenade and Farosh shows up just as consistently by Floria Bridge. Dinraal tends to rarely show up regardless of where I look for him. I have tried both the East Deplian Badlands near the Eldin Great Skeleton and Tanagar Canyon by Tabantha Great Bridge.

Anyone know of a better place to look for Dinraal?
Everything I'm about to tell you is anecdotal, and I know nothing about the internal programming of the game and what's supposed to happen, and why it might glitch, etc.

For Farosh, best way to farm her is to set a fire just north of Riola Spring, under the cave so that it's not affected by rain. Light the fire, wait till morning, and within seconds Farosh will materialize coming out of the spring. You can then quickly jump/paraglider to hang in the air due to updrafts, shoot any part of her for the part you want, let it fly off and hit the ground, etc . BUT ... don't go get it. Just after shooting her and seeing the sparkly part about to fly off her, go back to the fire wood, re-light it, wait until morning, repeat. You can do this about 8-10 times before it starts glitching (meaning, some of the pieces you knock off her won't be recoverable). So, after every 8 or so, go gather the parts, then start over.

For Naydra, I do the fire thing on the south east side of Lanayru Promenade, but it takes longer for her to materialize, as she starts at Lanayru Mountain, and has to fly all the way over to you. It takes a while to farm her parts, but it's consistent and it works.

Best place to farm Dinraal as far as I'm concerned is to make a fire on top of the Eldin Great Skeleton and wait until NIGHT (not morning) ... Only rub is, Dinraal doesn't appear until about midnight, so you have to wait 3-4 actual minutes before you even see Dinraal materialize at the most northeast point of the canyon. She'll come down and you can easily catch the up-draft and shoot her.

OK, so ... to your point about glitches and inconsistencies ... my anecdotal info to you is that the game simply glitches in regards to dragon spawning. Not sure why, but it does, as you have seen. The only thing I have found that re-sets it all and gets it working again is if you save the game, and close the software completely ... then re-load the game and start playing again. For whatever reason, that always works for me. So if you notice that the dragons are not doing what they SHOULD be doing ... just do that and you should be fine.

User Info: tainted_emerald

tainted_emerald
1 month ago#6
In all my Farosh farming, which is a rather large amount (damn speed potion addiction), I've never had the spawn fail once at Riola Spring.

Naydra seemed just as consistent a bit downstream from the gate, and I can't remember enough to comment on Dinraal.
"Evil is what you make of it. Bind it to a higher purpose, and you will have altered its nature." - Gerald Tarrant

User Info: NextGen_TB

NextGen_TB
1 month ago#7
I've heard that they become consistent when you do their shrine quests, could be why no one has any problems with Naydra.
Everything from Nothing
3DS: 2148-8632-4200 Switch: SW-6004-6476-8419

User Info: SUPERZELDA16

SUPERZELDA16
1 month ago#8
DiogenesKC posted...
The missing like here is proximity. The game needs to load the dragons when you're getting to where they're supposed to be at that time, which guarantees their appearance. If you stay at a campfire right next to where they're supposed to be at, then the game won't load anything and they won't appear.

The game loads a few other random events in the same way, such as the green aura on top of Satori Mountain. If you're too close to the mountain or always looking at it, the light will never appear.
Anyone with a balanced heart may wish upon the Triforce, and his will be granted. Except for you, Hylia. F*** you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru

Crazy4Metroid
1 month ago#9
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
The missing like here is proximity. The game needs to load the dragons when you're getting to where they're supposed to be at that time, which guarantees their appearance. If you stay at a campfire right next to where they're supposed to be at, then the game won't load anything and they won't appear.
That explains why Farosh and Naydra seem to consistently show up for me while Dinraal tends to give me a hard time.

When farming Farosh, I have a tendency to use the fire under the pot at Lakeside Stable to shift the time of day to morning. I meet up with Farosh as he passes by Floria Bridge, the resource often ends up in the water so I usually warp back to Shai Utoh Shrine after grabbing it instead of climbing the walls to return to the stable.

Likewise I do the same with Naydra. I use Dow Na'eh Shrine as the warp point when farming the dragon. I meet up with Naydra from the ledges on the northern side of Lanayru Promenade. The resource also usually ends up in the water where I then retrieve it before warping to the shrine instead of climbing up the walls.

Dinraal on the other hand I often meet up with from the outcrop circled in the image below.https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/1/4/8/AATtd6AABY50.jpg
The closest shrine to this spot is Gorae Torr Shrine which is quite far from my preferred vantage point. As a result I don't like to warp back to the shrine after retrieving the resource and just walk back to the outcrop and relight my campfire to shift the time of day. Dinraal tends to show up after I initially warp to Gorae Torr Shrine, but not so much afterward.

I am starting to suspect that warping back to a warp point instead of walking back gives the game the time it needs to load the dragon in question. Also, NextGen_TB... I have done all three shrine quests associate with the dragons and the springs so that has nothing to do with it.

User Info: Gamer-123

Gamer-123
1 month ago#10
It’s been a while since I played but I discovered that closing the game completely and restarting can sometimes reset the spawns for the dragons.

For Dinraal what I do is fast travel to Shae Loya shrine right next to Tabantha stable and use the cooking pot at the stable..wait until night and then head over to the middle of Tabantha Bridge and wait for a couple of minutes. Dinraal will fly directly under the bridge and you can easily get a clear shot at him. This works 99% of the time.

Also, don’t use the travel medallion since that could also prevent the dragons from appearing (especially Naydra).
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Can anything be done about the unpredictability of the dragons?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A