• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Do you like the story of BotW?

User Info: pok3montrainerG

pok3montrainerG
1 month ago#1
Do you like the story of BotW?

For some reason everyone I have talked about this game with always complains about the story, which I personally have never gotten because the story was really one of the big things that gave BotW it’s place in my heart. Maybe I just have a big imagination but I personally really loved it.

Just wanted to see the general consensus, feel free to share your opinions!
I suppose it would make sense if my power had dwindled over the past 100 years...
I'm surprised to admit it... But I can accept that.

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
1 month ago#2
yeah. it's not the best zelda story but it's a pretty decent one.
Welcome to the world of idiots.

User Info: SUPERZELDA16

SUPERZELDA16
1 month ago#3
I think it's the most interesting Zelda story we've had in a while. Beyond the cool heroic stuff, we had the tale of a princess struggling to find her own path in life, and that's just not a subject you see everyday, especially not presented in a mature way like we got in BotW.

On a side note, I really liked the presentation of the story in small disjointed fragments. It helped consolidate the feeling of discovery the game's all about, and made it feel relevant throughout what would be 100+ hours of play without ever being overbearing. That's a big plus for me.
Anyone with a balanced heart may wish upon the Triforce, and his will be granted. Except for you, Hylia. F*** you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Vados

Vados
1 month ago#4
Yes. I think BotW has the best story of the franchise so far. The characters, and especially Princess Zelda, felt a lot more fleshed out than usual and I think the symbolism with the Silent Princess was well done.

The best thing about it is that it plays into BotW's general idea of exploration and freedom. Instead of the story forcing itself down your throat, you have to find each piece of it on your own and figure out how these pieces fit together.
It makes the game way more replayable when you don't have to sit through multiple cutscenes about some s*** that you don't care about at the moment.

User Info: The_Fury_Wraith

The_Fury_Wraith
1 month ago#5
I think the story itself is pretty nice. I just didn't really care for the story's presentation, however. With that I mean that you had to go to specific locations to get a flashback of something that had happened in the past.

I get that this game is designed around freedom and exploration so I understand why they chose to do it this way, but it does come with its own set of weaknesses. I would have prefered a more linear story approach like in the old games. Then make the cutscenes skippable for the people who just want to get to the gameplay.

With the way the cutscenes were presented, it was really hard for me to care about Zelda or the 4 champions. This is unfortunate because Zelda herself is a rather sympathetic character.

At the start of the game you're told to go save her without knowing anything about her character yet, because scenes with her are all in cutscenes that you can't view yet as you can't get to them yet, obviously. (aside from the voice clips where she gave a few tutorial explanations I guess) This means you'll kinda lack the motivation from a story perspective to care about her/care to save her up front.

Furthermore, the flashbacks don't do a very good job to make you care in general, cause they are all presented from an after the fact approach with not much content to chew on in the actual scenes. Why should I really care about Mipha when all I learn about her is that she liked to heal Link and that she loved Link through a flashback cutscene and through some implied dialogue from NPCs? It makes it very hard to connect with the character of Mipha.

At least with Ruto in Ocarina (who honestly is about as shallow), you at least spent time with her that you yourself got to experience, which is more effective. You went through a whole dungeon with her, saving her yourself in the process, which leads to the whole ''engagement ring'' scene that you yourself were a part of. That's good set up to then care about her when the future arc rolls around.

Moreover the fact that you can (and will) go through the cutscenes in a random order only makes for a very scattershot approach, which can lead you to miss out on some much needed build up, context and/or development at times. Not only will the order of collecting the cutscenes be random due to exploration, but each of these cutscenes will happen in a different period of time as well. (Unless you grab a guide where you can then collect the cutscenes in linear order. I suppose you can also rewatch the cutscenes once you get them all, but A. not everyone will collect all the scenes and B. You'll end up seeing the cutscene upon collecting, making you experience it beforehand leading to the same effect.)

For example... One of my favourite scenes is the cutscene found in Hyrule Castle, where the King puts a lot of pressure on Zelda. This scene is however found in the game's final dungeon, meaning you'll be seeing it last in most cases. By then I had already spent a long time not caring about Zelda due to the scenes I did see with her being out of context. If I had seen this scene before, it would have provided some much needed context on why Zelda acts the way she did in the other cutscenes I saw before, such as the cutscenes where she went to the Springs without awakening her potential, which would likely have helped me in liking her and caring about her earlier, before the game was nearly over. Now a lot of these cutscenes fell very flat for me because this context wasn't apparent for me yet in a lot of cases.

Even if you're in the mood for more story, you'll have to travel to the next cutscene first, which takes time to get to and you won't know where they are without a guide or repeat playthrough.
A lot of sigs I read just have pointless information and seem to exist just for the sake of having a sig. This may be one of them.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
1 month ago#6
The_Fury_Wraith posted...
Even if you're in the mood for more story, you'll have to travel to the next one first, which takes time to get to
that's a video game, yeah
Welcome to the world of idiots.

User Info: wiggum

wiggum
1 month ago#7
Where's the option for "I think ALL the LoZ game stories are crappy, meaningless, and don't matter anyway ... but I don't care as long as the gameplay is fun"???
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
1 month ago#8
What little bit is there is fine. If you're playing Zelda for the story you're doing it wrong.
Night will come and I will follow- For my victims, no tomorrow
Koroks are f***ing stupid in every way, shape, or form.

User Info: pok3montrainerG

pok3montrainerG
1 month ago#9
Lord_Wombat posted...
What little bit is there is fine. If you're playing Zelda for the story you're doing it wrong.
Really? I play it mostly for the story.
I suppose it would make sense if my power had dwindled over the past 100 years...
I'm surprised to admit it... But I can accept that.

User Info: wiggum

wiggum
1 month ago#10
pok3montrainerG posted...
Really? I play it mostly for the story.
Well then, it's painfully obvious that you have very, VERY low standards when it comes to compelling writing and story-telling ... because LoZ is bottom of the barrel when it comes to that ... :)

(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Do you like the story of BotW?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A