• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. 3 years later this game feels overrated and hasnt age well

User Info: Galleo

Galleo
2 weeks ago#1
Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the crap out of this when I played it during launch, the world and ambience is still probably the most impressive I’ve ever seen. There’s a chilling wonder about hyrule that really is hard to explain and there’s nothing quite like it. Only the first dark souls comes to mind and it isn’t even an open world. Booting it up again that wonder was still there but had felt a little tired.

but the gameplay is where I feel the game hasn’t aged well. The dungeons if you call them that are a joke, the weapon breaking system, combat is extremely generic and easy.

the shrines are pretty fun but they all look generic and lifeless af compared to the rest of the game. and half of them a baby could solve. I like the isolation and mystery of the post apocalyptic world but the side quests and towns are weak, the looting system is ehh besides the cooking. The story is a laughable joke and the voice acting is terrible.

The glider is fun but that’s about all I can find enjoyable. The power abilities do NOT replace links old tools and feel like more a way to show off the games kickass physics system than add to the depth of exploring hyrule, doing quests or fighting enemies.

what I’m tryin to say is that this game misses the mark at being a game and especially a Zelda game. So much of it is striped out and barebones, it’s all “gimmicks”. It’s like an interactive or open world simulation

I commend Nintendo for creating probably the most immersive and magical open worlds but that’s about all that’s good about botw. There’s very substance. I don’t understand the 98 metacritic this game doesn’t go anywhere near oot, ww, mm or even Witcher 3, dark souls, mgsv, or rdr2. While all those games have flaws they’re still substance rich, challenging and good at being a game.

they can’t pull this off again for the sequel, botw2 needs to be a Zelda game first and foremost and also a game. As a one off I think the design is ok, but if this is the new dirección of the series... ehhhh.

tl;dr botw is like a beautiful open world fantasy sim game but there’s very little substance in the game itself. Take the world and exploration out of this game and it feels below average. It’s not at all like how a modern ocarina of time would be like.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Rustykranz

Rustykranz
2 weeks ago#2
*aged
Botw board and sequel board town drunk now and forever
https://youtu.be/GWjLGGJP_BY

User Info: Gamer-123

Gamer-123
2 weeks ago#3
You can say the exact same thing about pretty much every single game created..”it hasn’t aged well”, that doesn’t take away from the fact that a plethora of people have put in plenty of hours in the game and thoroughly enjoyed it.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: nurlen

nurlen
2 weeks ago#4
tc enjoyed BotW the most on their first playthrough. Clearly new-topic-worthy
Marin's guardian

User Info: Atreides27

Atreides27
2 weeks ago#5
tldr
Forced stammering to make someone sound stupid is the most annoying part about this site. Almost as bad as replacing "my" with "muh."

User Info: Timinatron

Timinatron
2 weeks ago#6
Atreides27 posted...
tldr

YoU cAn'T jUsT sHoOt A hOlE iNtO tHe SuRfAcE oF mArS

User Info: GallantChaddymn

GallantChaddymn
2 weeks ago#7
Whose alt is this
"Sony's not a Japanese company anymore just America's dog."
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9212646.html

User Info: Galleo

Galleo
2 weeks ago#8
Gamer-123 posted...
You can say the exact same thing about pretty much every single game created..”it hasn’t aged well”, that doesn’t take away from the fact that a plethora of people have put in plenty of hours in the game and thoroughly enjoyed it.
this game just has a lot of hype. The gameplay is pretty bad underneath the aesthetics.
ocarina and wine waker aged very well

nurlen
2 weeks ago#9
Galleo posted...
this game just has a lot of hype. The gameplay is pretty bad underneath the aesthetics.
ocarina and wine waker aged very well
@Thrasher7170
Marin's guardian

nurlen
2 weeks ago#10
https://i.imgur.com/k3OZ9hQ.gifv
Marin's guardian
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. 3 years later this game feels overrated and hasnt age well
  • Post New Message