• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Great game but bad Zelda game?

User Info: HeartBlade

HeartBlade
1 week ago#1
may get a a lot of critique for this but I feel that although BotW is an amazing game, it’s a bad Zelda game.

Im getting this feeling because of 2 major things I feel missing in this game as opposed to previous Zeldas: puzzles and new items/weapons.

Some of the notable draws for every Zelda game have always been the items. Zelda is quite linear in that you need to go to A dungeon to obtain A item to get to the boss room, use item to beat boss, then get access to B dungeon, rinse and repeat.

Items are a huge draw in Zelda and you could argue the quality of the game is correlated with how good some of the items are.

Yes, having items would have defeated the premise of the game (open world Zelda with exploration without restriction) and would be too OP (unbreakable items in a world with breakable weapons) but I don’t think I’m not alone in missing the new crazy items Nintendo brings to each new Zelda entry (double clawshots, spinner, etc).

i don’t know how BotW 2 will go and if shifting to open-world is permanent for the Zelda series but I am missing the unique new items that liter the Zelda-verse and the creative ways they can be used to defeat enemies and/or bosses.

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
1 week ago#2
Nah
"In the end we're all dicks".-ReiderAsmadi
Candy, tastes like chicken if chicken was a candy -Toki Wartooth

User Info: AndoYzerman

AndoYzerman
1 week ago#3
Or maybe all the other ones are bad Zelda games...

https://youtu.be/qnGyOan1xf4

User Info: OhioLawyerF5

OhioLawyerF5
1 week ago#4
I think this zelda game has more puzzles and is more puzzle focused than any zelda game in the past. So I don't see what you mean with that claim.

And I personally feel that item gating and using the item you found in this dungeon to solve the puzzles in this dungeon and use this specific trick/item to kill the boss of said dungeon to have grown quite stale. The zelda franchise was really going downhill because of it. So rather than finding that a reason to say this is a "bad zelda game", I feel it could just as easily be said that it saved the stale zelda formula and brought it into modern gaming. And in a magnificent way.
"I have no justification for my positions" - Sailor_Razor
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
1 week ago#5
HeartBlade posted...
Items are a huge draw in Zelda and you could argue the quality of the game is correlated with how good some of the items are.
no
Welcome to the world of idiots.

User Info: shinyspheal

shinyspheal
1 week ago#6
Yeah, because each rune isn't effective on a specific boss /s

Altho I don't know how stasis is particularly effective against Wind-blight.
3DS FC: 3711-7972-2938

User Info: OhioLawyerF5

OhioLawyerF5
1 week ago#7
shinyspheal posted...
Yeah, because each rune isn't effective on a specific boss /s

Altho I don't know how stasis is particularly effective against Wind-blight.
I didn't say they completely did away with the old formula. They just modified it and made it less stale and restrictive. Hopefully you are able to see how a tiny part of a boss fight (where you throw a single bomb into fireblight ganon, etc...) is vastly different from the item usage of the past.
"I have no justification for my positions" - Sailor_Razor

HeartBlade
1 week ago#8
OhioLawyerF5 posted...
I think this zelda game has more puzzles and is more puzzle focused than any zelda game in the past. So I don't see what you mean with that claim.

And I personally feel that item gating and using the item you found in this dungeon to solve the puzzles in this dungeon and use this specific trick/item to kill the boss of said dungeon to have grown quite stale. The zelda franchise was really going downhill because of it. So rather than finding that a reason to say this is a "bad zelda game", I feel it could just as easily be said that it saved the stale zelda formula and brought it into modern gaming. And in a magnificent way.

meh obsession with open world gaming but I understand your point.

I do agree the runes abilities were used in a more complex way (bombs for canons, timing the blasts, stasis to restrict movements) but on multiple playthroughs, Many shrines feel a little uninspiring. Maybe I would appreciate it more if the shrines were longer and harder but had fewer of them (like 60 shrines but twice as long and getting the second orb requires completing a more difficult bonus challenge).

I do think the more recent Zeldas implemented their items poorly which is what led to a decline (TP had poorly implemented item use outside its respective dungeon and there were an increasing number of items only useful in their respective dungeon). But past Zeldas had amazing items that really changed up how Link could travel and interact with his environment that was lost in this game.

HeartBlade
1 week ago#9
OhioLawyerF5 posted...
I didn't say they completely did away with the old formula. They just modified it and made it less stale and restrictive. Hopefully you are able to see how a tiny part of a boss fight (where you throw a single bomb into fireblight ganon, etc...) is vastly different from the item usage of the past.

I agree here too. Just one bomb is needed to get fire blight out of his shield, one magnesis for thunder. Wind is more abuse arrows and you can technically tank water blight or shoot the ice with arrows.

its a little different from needing to use the item to create an opening for damage.

User Info: Mariofan15

Mariofan15
1 week ago#10
I kinda agree.
Currently addicted to Mario Kart Tour.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Great game but bad Zelda game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A