• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: honiberri

honiberri
1 month ago#11
...it's a fish whistle, Ralph.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, but you wouldn't know it for the smell.

User Info: SUPERZELDA16

SUPERZELDA16
1 month ago#12
I believe it's unintentional. Sound making fish flee is intentional, them all ending up on the beach as a consequence of some crafty players knowing where to stand is not. It's funny though, so that shouldn't bother the devs at all.
Anyone with a balanced heart may wish upon the Triforce, and his will be granted. Except for you, Hylia. F*** you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: wiggum

wiggum
1 month ago#13
OhioLawyerF5 posted...
I don't see how it can possibly be an unintended consequence or a glitch. It appears to be specifically and intentionally programmed. There is a beached fish animation that doesn't exist in any other aspect of the game. That was intentional. Further, any other time in the game when a fish is fleeing from sound or from Link, they might swim toward land but then turn before beaching themselves. I can't see any way to avoid this being specifically programmed.

I have seen beached fish many times and I never whistle. When in the water trying to swim and catch them, if you can manipulate them properly they do end up on a shore where they flop around. Just because they have a beached fish animation doesn't mean it was specifically designed to be part of "whistle fishing".

SUPERZELDA16 posted...
I believe it's unintentional. Sound making fish flee is intentional, them all ending up on the beach as a consequence of some crafty players knowing where to stand is not. It's funny though, so that shouldn't bother the devs at all.

I haven't tried this "whistle fishing" yet ... but it sounds like you're saying that the whistling is only part of the equation, and that Link's position and orientation are also part of what drives the fish towards the shore where they beach themselves ... correct?

SUPERZELDA16
1 month ago#14
wiggum posted...
I haven't tried this "whistle fishing" yet ... but it sounds like you're saying that the whistling is only part of the equation, and that Link's position and orientation are also part of what drives the fish towards the shore where they beach themselves ... correct?

Well, you obviously have to stand in a position where the fish will flee toward the beach, yes. Not that it's particularly difficult to do...
Anyone with a balanced heart may wish upon the Triforce, and his will be granted. Except for you, Hylia. F*** you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru

wiggum
1 month ago#15
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
wiggum posted...

Well, you obviously have to stand in a position where the fish will flee toward the beach, yes. Not that it's particularly difficult to do...

Understood, but in one portion of that vid I wanna say that the guy had Link on a box floating "downstream" while nearing the fish ... and they all headed "sideways" from Link, towards the shore instead of "away" from him, downstream.

EDIT: It's not the floating box, but the first part on the cryo blocks ... long story short, it LOOKS like the fish want to tend towards the shore when the whistling starts, even if you're not truly facing the shore with the fish between you and the shore.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: nurlen

nurlen
1 month ago#16
honiberri posted...
...it's a fish whistle, Ralph.

Lol f***ing piggy
Marin's guardian

SUPERZELDA16
1 month ago#17
wiggum posted...
it LOOKS like the fish want to tend towards the shore when the whistling starts, even if you're not truly facing the shore with the fish between you and the shore.

I don't know how they programmed the whistle in this game, but it might have something to do with the "hitbox" of the whistle. The fish will flee the source of the sound of the whistle, not Link himself, if that makes any sense to you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: OhioLawyerF5

OhioLawyerF5
1 month ago#18
wiggum posted...
OhioLawyerF5 posted...
I don't see how it can possibly be an unintended consequence or a glitch. It appears to be specifically and intentionally programmed. There is a beached fish animation that doesn't exist in any other aspect of the game. That was intentional. Further, any other time in the game when a fish is fleeing from sound or from Link, they might swim toward land but then turn before beaching themselves. I can't see any way to avoid this being specifically programmed.

I have seen beached fish many times and I never whistle. When in the water trying to swim and catch them, if you can manipulate them properly they do end up on a shore where they flop around. Just because they have a beached fish animation doesn't mean it was specifically designed to be part of "whistle fishing".

I've chased fish around and haven't gotten them on land like that. Oh well, not that it matters. Because even given your experience, you confirm it was intended. If fish fleeing from Link and the sound he makes will beach themselves if close to shore and flee in the correct direction, I don't see how that can be unintended. They programmed the sound feature intentionally as evidenced by the meter in the HUD. They programmed the fish (and other wildlife) to run away from too much sound from Link. They programmed whistling to be something that causes sound on the meter and is noticed by wildlife, enemies, etc... They programmed an animation where fish fleeing Link near a beach will flop around. It was all clearly intentional. How can it not be? They obviously intended fish to flee noises link makes and that if they do it close to shore and in that direction they will beach.

I think you are hung up on something you are calling "whistle fishing". I'm not saying they invented a mini-game called whistle fishing. I'm saying they obviously intended fish to beach if Link whistles near them like that. The fact that some locations with lots of fish result in what you call "whistle fishing" doesn't matter. They clearly intended beaching a means to catch them.
(edited 1 month ago)

SUPERZELDA16
1 month ago#19
OhioLawyerF5 posted...
They programmed the sound feature intentionally as evidenced by the meter in the HUD. They programmed the fish (and other wildlife) to run away from too much sound from Link. They programmed whistling to be something that causes sound on the meter and is noticed by wildlife, enemies, etc... They programmed an animation where fish fleeing Link near a beach will flop around. It was all clearly intentional. How can it not be? They obviously intended fish to flee noises link makes and that if they do it close to shore and in that direction they will beach.

All these things separately were intended.
Not sure if they wanted / expected all those things to come together like that, and allow dozens of fish to beach themselves after a few whistles though.

This whole thing is a pretty good example of what they talked about in some early interviews. "Change one value somewhere, and while you have fixed the problem in front of you, something else on the other side of the map has gone wrong". This is paraphrased, but it just shows that they made a physics system so intricate that the devs themselves cannot predict all the possible outcomes and repercussions of one single value.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru

wiggum
1 month ago#20
OhioLawyerF5 posted...
wiggum posted...
OhioLawyerF5 posted...

I've chased fish around and haven't gotten them on land like that. Oh well, not that it matters. Because even given your experience, you confirm it was intended. If fish fleeing from Link and the sound he makes will beach themselves if close to shore and flee in the correct direction, I don't see how that can be unintended. They programmed the sound feature intentionally as evidenced by the meter in the HUD. They programmed the fish (and other wildlife) to run away from too much sound from Link. They programmed whistling to be something that causes sound on the meter and is noticed by wildlife, enemies, etc... They programmed an animation where fish fleeing Link near a beach will flop around. It was all clearly intentional. How can it not be? They obviously intended fish to flee noises link makes and that if they do it close to shore and in that direction they will beach.

I think you are hung up on something you are calling "whistle fishing". I'm not saying they invented a mini-game called whistle fishing. I'm saying they obviously intended fish to beach if Link whistles near them like that. The fact that some locations with lots of fish result in what you call "whistle fishing" doesn't matter. They clearly intended beaching a means to catch them.

My point was, I just thought that simply whistling around fish causes them to swim up to shore and beach themselves, period. As if to be some hidden dynamic in the game that all but nullifies fishing via bombs, swimming, shock arrows, etc.

Having fish react to noise is it's own thing, and definitely part of the game by design. However, I would like to think that the devs did NOT expect you to be able to stand on a shore and whistle and just have fish stupidly swim up on shore and beach themselves ... which is what appears to be happening with very, very little effort or reason.
  • Post New Message