• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Zelda Speedruns are getting weirder

User Info: Ljynk84

Ljynk84
2 months ago#1
If you watch an any Skyward Sword speedrun a lot of time is spent on the title screen to perform the back in time glitch. In a Wind Walker run you can use item sliding to cover large distances in no time at all. In MM low% if you do the hidden owl warping glitch and then play the song of soaring 8000 times you can bring up a debug menu to give yourself all the boss remains. That last one sounds like a rumor you would hear back in 3rd grade about how Sonic is in Melee or how you can perform a glitch to play as Luigi in SM64 except it actually works.
"People are like slinkies --- not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"

User Info: SUPERZELDA16

SUPERZELDA16
2 months ago#2
Ljynk84 posted...
then play the song of soaring 8000 times

...What? People really do that?! Like... seriously?
How boring if so.
Anyone with a balanced heart may wish upon the Triforce, and his will be granted. Except for you, Hylia. F*** you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru

User Info: Ljynk84

Ljynk84
2 months ago#3
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
Ljynk84 posted...
then play the song of soaring 8000 times

...What? People really do that?! Like... seriously?
How boring if so.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_bEhd55rteI
Yes seriously. It makes me wonder how people even find out about glitches like this.
"People are like slinkies --- not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"

SUPERZELDA16
2 months ago#4
"You can play the game and have fun... or you can repeat the same actions 8,000 times over to cheat your way to the end."
"Hmmm... Tough choice, but I think I'll do the latter. What a great way to spend my time!"

*facepalm*
Anyone with a balanced heart may wish upon the Triforce, and his will be granted. Except for you, Hylia. F*** you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
2 months ago#5
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
"You can play the game and have fun... or you can repeat the same actions 8,000 times over to cheat your way to the end."
"Hmmm... Tough choice, but I think I'll do the latter. What a great way to spend my time!"

*facepalm*
imagine misunderstanding the situation this much
Welcome to the world of idiots.

SUPERZELDA16
2 months ago#6
DiogenesKC posted...
SUPERZELDA16 posted...

*facepalm*
imagine misunderstanding the situation this much

What's to misunderstand there?
Even speedrunners do what they do to have fun, right?
Can you still say that playing the Song of Soaring over and over 8,000 times is a fun way to engage with the game?
-- Din, Farore & Nayru

User Info: wiggum

wiggum
2 months ago#7
What I find funny about some speed running in general is when the runs are primarily or (effectively) wholly based on glitches. It's hard for me to truly call it "speed running" when it requires strange and/or complicated glitches that really are not supposed to be part of the game at all.

Now, I'm not saying speed running should only involve doing everything strictly as the devs intended. And, I do find the glitched-out speed-runs to be fascinating if for no other reason than how crazy it is that people were able to discover these crazy, obscure glitches. It's mind-blowing really.

But to my point ... if we're talking actual "speed runs" ... I'd be far more interested in watching someone play the game out in the fastest possible manner without glitches ... as a test to see who can literally be the most efficient and make the fewest 'mistakes' so to speak. I'm not sure I've said that as well as I could ... but hopefully my point is understood.

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
2 months ago#8
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
Can you still say that playing the Song of Soaring over and over 8,000 times is a fun way to engage with the game?
if they didn't enjoy it on some level they wouldn't do it. i can't imagine the execution is much fun, sure, but can you really not see how the absurdity is worth it? to poke and prod at how a game works, not just at the level of intended gameplay but deep down into the guts of it, find something that's ridiculous but true, and then make it happen.
wiggum posted...
What I find funny about some speed running in general is when the runs are primarily or (effectively) wholly based on glitches. It's hard for me to truly call it "speed running" when it requires strange and/or complicated glitches that really are not supposed to be part of the game at all.
oh look wiggum's wrong again
Welcome to the world of idiots.

User Info: wiggum

wiggum
2 months ago#9
DiogenesKC posted...
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
if they didn't enjoy it on some level they wouldn't do it. i can't imagine the execution is much fun, sure, but can you really not see how the absurdity is worth it? to poke and prod at how a game works, not just at the level of intended gameplay but deep down into the guts of it, find something that's ridiculous but true, and then make it happen.
wiggum posted...

It's not a matter of right and wrong ... and maybe i'm using the word "glitch" too loosely. I just mean, I get that catapulting a boulder for you to ride on , or even a tree ... that's just making good use of the physics engine that the game is built on. I do think it's fair to say on the other hand, that the whole shield surfing, land on a boko's head, and have it "glitch out" and send you flying at super-speed is NOT something that was ever meant to be a normal part of the game using and/or taking advantage of the physics engine.

Regardless ... my point was that to ME it's more interesting to watch people actually play the game fast ... not find ways to circumvent things that would normally be required to get from A to B to C etc.

For instance .. what wall-clip glitch or wahtever it is in WW where you can get through the barrier to Ganon's castle before you would normally be able to. That, without a doubt, is a glitch that is being taken advantage of. And, even if it's incredibly hard to pull off ... it's still something that was obviously not intended as part of the game ... so I'd rather not see it used.

just a matter of opinion and viewpoint, that's all.

User Info: NE_OC

NE_OC
2 months ago#10
wiggum posted...
DiogenesKC posted...
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
wiggum posted...
It's not a matter of right and wrong ... and maybe i'm using the word "glitch" too loosely. I just mean, I get that catapulting a boulder for you to ride on , or even a tree ... that's just making good use of the physics engine that the game is built on. I do think it's fair to say on the other hand, that the whole shield surfing, land on a boko's head, and have it "glitch out" and send you flying at super-speed is NOT something that was ever meant to be a normal part of the game using and/or taking advantage of the physics engine.

Regardless ... my point was that to ME it's more interesting to watch people actually play the game fast ... not find ways to circumvent things that would normally be required to get from A to B to C etc.

For instance .. what wall-clip glitch or wahtever it is in WW where you can get through the barrier to Ganon's castle before you would normally be able to. That, without a doubt, is a glitch that is being taken advantage of. And, even if it's incredibly hard to pull off ... it's still something that was obviously not intended as part of the game ... so I'd rather not see it used.

just a matter of opinion and viewpoint, that's all.
The problem is that is that you yourself admitted the loose definition of a glitch/glitchless speedrun

Is wavedashing in Melee a glitch or a good use of the physics engine?

Is bullet time bounce a glitch or a good use of the physics engine? After all, bullet time slow things 20x, so it's perfectly normal and expected that certain movements and interactions happen 20 times faster when viewed at normal speed.
If you were consistent, there's no reason for your arrows to move that fast in bullet time, yet they do. Is that also a glitch?

Glitchless categories start appearing when the game gets completely demolished in any%, with huge skips that pretty much make the game disappear completely, and even then, true-glitchless speeeruns are pretty much the unicorn of speedruning. The moment you ban a new speed-saving glitch/bug/exploit, the next fastest one will be used and you'll never reach a point where everyone can nod and agree that zero glitches or exploits were used.
Official Scathach of the Fate/Grand Order board ~ http://i.imgur.com/GvjB9ac.jpg
Little Samson is my most wanted for Smash Bros. Ultimate
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Zelda Speedruns are getting weirder
  • Post New Message