• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Why do people hate the official Zelda timeline?

User Info: RaihotheXIV

RaihotheXIV
2 months ago#1
I actually really like it. I like this unified stuff that shows how the games are all connected (which is why I want an official SMT timeline).

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
2 months ago#2
nerds are never happy
Welcome to the world of idiots.

User Info: Atreides27

Atreides27
2 months ago#3
I'm unsure if there is a lot of hate towards it. It's a neat idea. Personally, it has no bearing on my enjoyment of the games though. I just want a fun game, I don't care where it lands in an arbitrary timeline.
"Did you just pooter me?"
- OnettsOwn

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
2 months ago#4
1) Because it doesn't make sense.

2) Because it's forced.

3) Because the series is better off without a timeline.

4) Because, after forcing a timeline, Nintendo can't even adhere to it.
TP > OoT = MM > ST = SS = tWW > TFH > ALBW = PH > BOTW = MC > OoA > OoS > LA > FSA > FS > LoZ > AoL >>> aLttP

User Info: SUPERZELDA16

SUPERZELDA16
2 months ago#5
Zeveria posted...

It's more that they don't want to be restrained by it.
In any case BotW is a soft reboot, and so it's the perfect place to start something new in terms of timeline.
Anyone with a balanced heart may wish upon the Triforce, and his will be granted. Except for you, Hylia. F*** you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: monkyby87

monkyby87
2 months ago#6
I don’t hate it, but I sure don’t understand it. If I operate under the idea that each game is kind of it’s own series, and just a retelling of the general Zelda lore, it’s more enjoyable. Aside from the obvious sequels of course.
3DS FC: 5344-0417-6988

User Info: ZoaMang

ZoaMang
2 months ago#7
I don’t dislike it, but there are weird...connections that make it feel very forced and half-assed.
Nothing of importance here.

User Info: Erics84

Erics84
2 months ago#8
Zeveria posted...
1) Because it doesn't make sense.

2) Because it's forced.

3) Because the series is better off without a timeline.

These. The Zelda timeline as a whole comes off as fanwank, except it's official.

SUPERZELDA16 posted...
Zeveria posted...

It's more that they don't want to be restrained by it.

Then why have a timeline at all?

User Info: wiggum

wiggum
2 months ago#9
Erics84 posted...
Then why have a timeline at all?

because the "nerds" demanded it ... and when Nintendo saw it as an opportunity to create a "timeline bible" that all the nerds would buy - meaning, a money-making thing for Nintendo - they shoe-horned everything into timelines as best they could so that they could capitalize on it.

That's the long and short of ALL of this.

We'd all have been better served to just treat each game as a one-off with the obvious exceptions like OoT > MM type situations.

I mean, yah ... technically, SS is supposed to be the origin ... and BotW is the current "ending" so far ... but the fact that every detail of every game is somehow supposed to mesh perfectly together? and Nintendo should now be "cornered" in development of new LoZ games to make sure that nothing they put in a game now conflicts with something in a past game? That makes no sense ...

I've been saying it forever ... gameplay first, story be damned in terms of how perfectly it fits into any given timeline or lore. Give us fun-as-hell games to play first ... then write a story around it, and let it be whatever it is ...

After all, this is all "legend" ... which should open the door to mis-interpretations, and different versions of the same history, since it was just stories told to each other over hundreds, if not thousands of years.

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
2 months ago#10
wiggum posted...
because the "nerds" demanded it ...

I'm not seeing it...from my experience, most of the fans outright dismissed Nintendo's idea of a timeline at all and almost always insisted the games were their own separate entities and Nintendo was full of s***.
TP > OoT = MM > ST = SS = tWW > TFH > ALBW = PH > BOTW = MC > OoA > OoS > LA > FSA > FS > LoZ > AoL >>> aLttP
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Why do people hate the official Zelda timeline?
  • Post New Message