• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. BotW 2 better keep weapon durability, but...

User Info: firebind2

firebind2
2 months ago#201
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
In the best of worlds, players can trust the game without any doubts, because they know they'll be rewarded consequently.

I am still getting rewarded, pretty constantly actually random loot doesn't really affect that in itself and in games like Diablo for example despite having randomized loot drops it still is rewarding me constantly. Only issues with a randomized loot mechanic itself is either a over-saturation of items in a pool or no way to reliably farm items.

Did you ever took notice of the chest before you were done with the monsters? At the very least, you'll need to rework some of the placements, because "right in the middle of the enclosed and well-guarded enemy camp" is not a very appropriate location for a chest you're supposed to see before deciding if you want it or not.

I usually do see the chests before even engaging (mostly because I am flying with my Paraglider most of the time) unless they are obscured by those skull buildings which even then is easy enough to sneak a peak in the eye hole. I don't exactly rush headfirst into camps unless I know I already have a powerful weapon, have those explosive barrels to abuse or have a type of advantage. Sometimes I'll rush in sure, (again preferably with a good weapom) but I usually like to get the drop beforehand.

In camps however they are almost always the skull faced chests so currently chest distinguishing doesn't really exist because it doesn't have to due to a lack of loot pools more so then the promise of a good item equal to the difficulty to acquire it (which is also in itself debatable as the items are situational)
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/24zcej6.gif
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: SUPERZELDA16

SUPERZELDA16
2 months ago#202
firebind2 posted...
I am still getting rewarded, pretty constantly actually random loot doesn't really affect that in itself and in games like Diablo for example despite having randomized loot drops it still is rewarding me constantly. Only issues with a randomized loot mechanic itself is either a over-saturation of items in a pool or no way to reliably farm items.

Consequently, not constantly. As in appropriate rewards for the effort taken.

I usually do see the chests before even engaging (mostly because I am flying with my Paraglider most of the time) unless they are obscured by those skull buildings which even then is easy enough to sneak a peak in the eye hole. I don't exactly rush headfirst into camps unless I know I already have a powerful weapon, have those explosive barrels to abuse or have a type of advantage.

I usually get seen first, so I only notice the chest after dealing with the enemies. In the rare times I don't get seen, I snipe them for afar and finish in close range, so no chance to notice any chest either. Very different playstyle, it seems.

In camps however they are almost always the skull faced chests.

Well yeah, but weren't we discussing about separating those into different tiers to accomodate for the difficulty of the camp?
Anyone with a balanced heart may wish upon the Triforce, and his will be granted. Except for you, Hylia. F*** you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru

User Info: firebind2

firebind2
2 months ago#203
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
Consequently, not constantly. As in appropriate rewards for the effort taken.

Yes, I know about the bolded word. However this is in itself arguable in its current form (going as deep to if the rewards themselves are even useful sometimes)

Which is why I bring up loot tiers, the higher tiered loot pool (and coincidentally things such as that Master Ore) would probably be tied to those higher pools which would probably be at said tougher camps.

The comparisons to other games with tiered loot are just an example that games can still be rewarding with randomized loot and have tiering so harder challenges yield better rewards.So you don't have to worry about that dreaded Tree Branch

I usually get seen first, so I only notice the chest after dealing with the enemies. In the rare times I don't get seen, I snipe them for afar and finish in close range, so no chance to notice any chest either. Very different playstyle, it seems.

I guess...

Well yeah, but weren't we discussing about separating those into different tiers to accomodate for the difficulty of the camp?

Partially, but it is a little hard to explain how this hypothetical system would even work without comparing it to the current system that is in place.

I edited it to expand it a little better. to quote what I said "so currently chest distinguishing doesn't really exist because it doesn't have to due to a lack of loot pools more so then the promise of a good item equal to the difficulty to acquire it (which is also in itself debatable as the items are situational)

I will also repeat that the chests are already obscuring the item so unless you either have prior knowledge or a guide it might as well be randomized tiered loot.

Personally I think it would just be a different but fun mechanic, more so then a fix if that is what you are thinking. I mean even the unbreakable weapon ore/unbreakable weapon is just kind of a fun idea to me but I wouldn't exactly say it couldn't/wouldn't work. It would just have to be thought out.
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/24zcej6.gif
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Kanoy

Kanoy
1 month ago#204
Great_Khan posted...
Let's swap out a useless boring 5 second annoyance with a useless boring 5 minute annoyance. Perfect.

Are you dense? What do you mean "swap out" just leave your weapons broken

User Info: MechaFlo

MechaFlo
1 month ago#205
Adding the ability to repair and buff weapons kind of defeats the whole purpose of the durability system the way it's implemented. The whole point is that you're constantly using up weapons and getting new ones to replace them. Adding a blacksmith undermines the core point.

Now if someone doesn't like the current system, and wants to replace it, that's fair. But taking the current system and just throwing in a blacksmith kind of misses the point and they'd be better off redoing the weapon system entirely with a new direction in mind rather than using a contradictory bandaid.

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
1 month ago#206
They could just make the weapons basically useless for melee at zero durability, but allow you to throw them just like now for the double damage and destruction of the weapon. That way you would only keep the ones you really wanted to, and the current system would not have to be altered much as all.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/
Step 1. Don't design an entire game's combat system around weapons that explode like fragile glass sculptures after a dozen or so swings so the player's inventory is a constant game of hot potato.

Step 2. for the love of god just like them carry around hammers or something like Oblivion. The BotW devs love ripping off the Elder Scrolls so much anyway.
It's hip to f*** bees.
Don't read this: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12861427/1/When-the-Heart-Rules-the-Mind

User Info: SUPERZELDA16

SUPERZELDA16
4 weeks ago#208
Higurashi_Akane posted...
for the love of god just like them carry around hammers or something like Oblivion. The BotW devs love ripping off the Elder Scrolls so much anyway.

Only if they explode like fragile glass sculptures after a dozen or so swings.

hot potato

Yeah, I guess we can have that as a hammer too.
Anyone with a balanced heart may wish upon the Triforce, and his will be granted. Except for you, Hylia. F*** you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru

User Info: HipsterSora

HipsterSora
4 weeks ago#209
There should just be a fairy to upgrade classes of weapons in various ways that provide class-wide buffs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQx_KMoCgJU | Reading Jojolion
'It is well known that the Heartless harbor an intense hatred of shirts.' -keybladesrus
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. BotW 2 better keep weapon durability, but...
  • Post New Message