You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. How would you rank the side quests compared to other Zelda games?

User Info: Apocalypsah

Apocalypsah
1 week ago#1
I really like side quests in video games and I liked them in every Zelda game as well. How are these side quests compared to the other Zelda games?

(I’ve clocked around 10 hours into this game and only encountered 2 so far).
Now Playing: http://backloggery.com/Yasume

User Info: Atreides27

Atreides27
1 week ago#2
There are lots of complaints when it comes to the sidequests. I think it boils down to 2 points.
1) The rewards are often insubstantial. You rarely get anything worth the quest or something special.
2) You rarely affect the world. It's usually an NPC that wants an item (or multiple items) so most of them are just fetch quests.

I personally like the sidequests because I find that the NPC's are well written and have good personality. For me, it's more about the journey than the end result. As well, there are a good handful of sidequests that lead to incredible moments of discovery (i.e. leviathan quest, Lord of the Mountain quest, Zelda's horse quest).

So I can see why people don't like them, but that's not my opinion.

User Info: fernantendo

fernantendo
1 week ago#3
Many sidequests are about opening a shrine, or leading you to the location of one. The reward feels substantial enough for me (the shrine, including its weapons/items/armor, plus orb, plus a teleportation point).

Other sidequests are not too bad. There is one that asks for 50 rushrooms (or more?), but that rewards a diamond, one of the highest possible rewards after star fragments and armor. Other sidequests involving horses involve horse armor (makes sense), and then there are others that give you armor pieces (zora legs, flame helmet, etc...).

Then there are a few that hardly reward, but also hardly ask for much. A picture of something, maybe 1 of a weapon or material, usually at most 10 of a relatively common item? And on a few rare occasions, you have to kill some mini-boss or monsters.....I feel in general the effort of the sidequest translates pretty well into the reward, with some very minor sidequests (balloon kid) giving a substantial reward for next to no effort and just some ingenuity.

I'd say they are in the middle. Majora's mask and Ocarina of Time have the best sidequests with the best (substantial) rewards, and other Zelda games in general rewarded things like bigger quiver and bombs or bigger money pouch or more bottles (you already start with this stuff in BotW), or heart pieces (which are already shrine rewards in BotW). So BotW can only really reward materials, which were not really used in Zelda games before Skyward Sword, or rupees.
Let's get ON with it! - Bill from The Last of Us

User Info: guedesbrawl

guedesbrawl
1 week ago#4
Botw kind of shot itself in the foot by locking the two most meaingful rewards to shrines.

The other possible rewards tend to be underwhelming.

it's a pity that, like most of the problems in the game, the designers stumbled upon something good on the Zora arc but didn't take much notice of it. Armor shops sound nice but having those kinds of items distributed primarily as quest rewards would be much better overall.
My naruhina-oriented retelling of Naruto (currently has 362K words/24 chapters): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11577577/1/Because-I-Love-You-Chasing-After-You

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
1 week ago#5
Really really...bad. Pretty much all of them are generic single player MMO sidequests. Here's some examples:

-Slated for Upgrades: Gather monster parts for a Sheikah upgrade.

-Little Sister's Big Request: Gather 3 darners (or buy them) and give them to the quest giver.

-Gift For My Beloved: Gather 10 crickets (or buy them) and give them to the quest give.

-Hobbies of the Rich: Kill two common monsters and return to the quest giver.

-What's For Dinner: Gather (or buy) two common cooking ingredients and give them to the quest giver.

-Rushroom Rush: Grind for (or buy) 55 rushrooms and return to the quest giver.

-By Firefly's Light: Gather (or buy) 5 fireflies (right outside of the quest giver's house) and return to the quest giver.

-An Ice Guy: Create a common elixir and give it to the quest giver.

There's a few exceptions to quests like these, but they're nothing to write home about. Here's some examples of those:

-My Hero: After getting the Master Sword, talk to an NPC...that's it.

-Diving is Beauty: Jump into the water after talking to an NPC...that's it. No, I'm not neglecting to mention some kind of minigame behind it. That's really it.

-A Gift of Nightshade: Talk to a character. Talk to another character next to him. Finish reading the dialogue as they talk to each other....and that's it.

-Arrows of Burning Heat: Light 4 torches outside of the store. This is basically a tutorial sidequest. You get paid 20 rupees....note that the arrows you had to buy cost more than this.

Don't expect anything of past Zelda quality.

fernantendo posted...
Other sidequests are not too bad. There is one that asks for 50 rushrooms (or more?), but that rewards a diamond, one of the highest possible rewards after star fragments and armor.

The reward is secondary. The quests themselves are boring as watching paint dry. As for the reward though, a Diamond is worth 500 rupees. Rushrooms are 12 rupees a piece, so for 660 rupees worth of rushrooms, you're losing 160 rupees.
TP > OoT = MM > ST = SS = tWW > TFH > ALBW = PH > BOTW = MC > OoA > OoS > LA > FSA > FS > LoZ > AoL >>> aLttP
(edited 1 week ago)
(message deleted)

User Info: SUPERZELDA16

SUPERZELDA16
1 week ago#7
What poster #5 is not telling is that most of these sidequests have a nice little story that makes it fun. The rest of them are "tutorial quests". The game does that often: explaining mechanics of the game through simple quests that you have to find yourself. The most interesting sidequests are the shrine quests though.

Zeveria posted...
As for the reward though, a Diamond is worth 500 rupees. Rushrooms are 12 rupees a piece, so for 660 rupees worth of rushrooms, you're losing 160 rupees.

Diamonds are rarer to find than rushrooms though.
Anyone with a balanced heart may wish upon the Triforce, and his will be granted. Except for you, Hylia. F*** you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Crudelitas

Crudelitas
1 week ago#8
The shrine quests range from ok to good.
The other sidequests range from trash to ok.

SUPERZELDA16 posted...
Diamonds are rarer to find than rushrooms though.

You can trade other, common stones for them in Zora's Domain though, so they end up being pretty easy to get regardless.
There is no path to git gud, for gitin' gud is the path.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: ecylis

ecylis
1 week ago#9
terrible

go get me this horse, go get me this horse, go get me this horse, go get me a PICTURE of this horse, go get me 10 crickets, go get me 3 butterflies, go get me 55 mushrooms, go get me 3 mushrooms, go get me 5 fireflies, go get me 5 frogs, go get me this flower...

there's a couple decent ones but aside from that it's just an endless stream of garbage fetch quests
http://i.imgur.com/UgOcJQG.jpg

User Info: RaflebXgre

RaflebXgre
1 week ago#10
Pretty good.

MM had better sidequests, but that's the absolute top. No other Zelda has better side quests than this in my opinion.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. How would you rank the side quests compared to other Zelda games?