• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. So Tater Tots is still objectively garbage and if you like it you're wrong.

User Info: Sailor_Razor

Sailor_Razor
2 weeks ago#1
Just gotta tell you that. It's important.

Nevermind that the entire premise, from an in-universe standpoint, is incredibly stupid. "Oh, unlocking the Master Sword? That thing that's literally useless to your primary goal because it's going to be pissed off when you go to Hyrule Castle anyway, thereby making the matter of unlocking it pointless? Yeah, let's get a bunch of Ganon's own monsters that we totally don't have because we're all Yiga in disguise and specifically trying to kill you on purpose, and throw them at you for no practical reason. Like, you pulled the f***ing sword in the first place, but we still gotta run this "test" that absolutely, positively, 100% isn't just an excuse to try to kill you on purpose because we actually worship Ganon. No, that's definitely not it at all, why would you say that? What, I brought it up first? Ha ha ha, you're so funny and I definitely don't wish I could strangle you with your own intestines, that'd be weird. Praise Ganon. What? No I didn't just say praise Ganon, clean your ears, stupid."

Gotta wonder what a Monk would feel like if their stupid shrine did kill Link in canon. "Oh, whoops, I just murdered Hyrule's last remaining hope because I wanted him to run through a series of death traps with a quarter of a heart for no reason. Silly me!". Like supposing an afterlife is present, how do you explain that to Zelda? "Yeah, the guy you needed to save you from getting ripped to pieces by Ganon? Yeah, I killed him. I know we're supposed to be on the same side, but I killed him anyway.".

Testing the hero is a moronic plot device when the hero is pre-selected or already proven. It's one thing if it's "Okay, wiseguy, you think you've got what it takes, then go get this for me and don't get splattered across the wall like the last five guys who thought they were hot s***.", but if the fates demand that this particular dumbass be the one to save the day, then "testing" has gone out the window, sunshine.

f***ing writers don't think anything through. You know what would've made for a better premise? "Oh, it turns out the Master Sword is a tiny bit corrupted. Like, it can still get pissed at Malice, but there is definitely some corruption holding it back. You should probably get in there and fix it.". Like something where the result is a direct effect of what you're doing. Not some "Oh, get over here if you can, I'm totally on your side praise Ganon." s***.

God.
(edited 2 weeks ago)
(message deleted)

User Info: Sailor_Razor

Sailor_Razor
2 weeks ago#3
What kind of wuss makes a post and then deletes it? Commit, you coward.

User Info: nurlen

nurlen
2 weeks ago#4
Also, tater tots suck too
Marin's guardian

User Info: bluebeans

bluebeans
2 weeks ago#5
Calling it Tater Tots is objectively worse than garbage.
385, never forget.

User Info: Ramza1

Ramza1
2 weeks ago#6
I thought calling it Tator Tots was hilarious...

The idea that the trials are secretly just an attempt to kill you is kinda dumb though. If it was all just a death trap, then why do these "secret yiga" still give you a legitimately powerful reward for doing it?

Now I'll agree that testing a known chosen one is pretty dumb. Gameplay wise it works, but they needed a better lore explanation. Maybe the shrines could have all been important holy sites (as shrines traditionally are), but they've been taken over and corrupted? Maybe all the traps and guardians were security measures in place to protect the spirit orbs from bad guys and they were supposed to be deactivated by the hero's Shika slate, but they've been infected by malice the same way the overworld guardians are. Having elaborate puzzles for "security measures" is still super video gamey though.

A story about cleansing an existing source of power to unlock its full potential makes way more sense then "testing". But like I said, it still works well as fun gameplay mechanic, so I can't stay too mad at it.
I'm not sure how, I'm not sure why, but I'm almost certain that you owe me money!

User Info: Tippetarius

Tippetarius
2 weeks ago#7
What's Tater Tots?
Call me Tip. Or Tippi, if you prefer. And yes, just like my namesake, I'm actually a girl.

User Info: Ramza1

Ramza1
2 weeks ago#8
Trial of the sword TotS

Tots

Tater Tots. Little fried potato bites.
I'm not sure how, I'm not sure why, but I'm almost certain that you owe me money!

User Info: MessageDeleted1

MessageDeleted1
2 weeks ago#9
Sailor_Razor posted...
What kind of wuss makes a post and then deletes it? Commit, you coward.

Gotta problem?

User Info: Z_algatoth

Z_algatoth
2 weeks ago#10
Sailor_Razor posted...
Just gotta tell you that. It's important.

Nevermind that the entire premise, from an in-universe standpoint, is incredibly stupid. "Oh, unlocking the Master Sword? That thing that's literally useless to your primary goal because it's going to be pissed off when you go to Hyrule Castle anyway, thereby making the matter of unlocking it pointless? Yeah, let's get a bunch of Ganon's own monsters that we totally don't have because we're all Yiga in disguise and specifically trying to kill you on purpose, and throw them at you for no practical reason. Like, you pulled the f***ing sword in the first place, but we still gotta run this "test" that absolutely, positively, 100% isn't just an excuse to try to kill you on purpose because we actually worship Ganon. No, that's definitely not it at all, why would you say that? What, I brought it up first? Ha ha ha, you're so funny and I definitely don't wish I could strangle you with your own intestines, that'd be weird. Praise Ganon. What? No I didn't just say praise Ganon, clean your ears, stupid."

Gotta wonder what a Monk would feel like if their stupid shrine did kill Link in canon. "Oh, whoops, I just murdered Hyrule's last remaining hope because I wanted him to run through a series of death traps with a quarter of a heart for no reason. Silly me!". Like supposing an afterlife is present, how do you explain that to Zelda? "Yeah, the guy you needed to save you from getting ripped to pieces by Ganon? Yeah, I killed him. I know we're supposed to be on the same side, but I killed him anyway.".

Testing the hero is a moronic plot device when the hero is pre-selected or already proven. It's one thing if it's "Okay, wiseguy, you think you've got what it takes, then go get this for me and don't get splattered across the wall like the last five guys who thought they were hot s***.", but if the fates demand that this particular dumbass be the one to save the day, then "testing" has gone out the window, sunshine.

f***ing writers don't think anything through. You know what would've made for a better premise? "Oh, it turns out the Master Sword is a tiny bit corrupted. Like, it can still get pissed at Malice, but there is definitely some corruption holding it back. You should probably get in there and fix it.". Like something where the result is a direct effect of what you're doing. Not some "Oh, get over here if you can, I'm totally on your side praise Ganon." s***.

God.

I have nothing to add or argue.

Just want to say, Waffle Fries are objectively the best type of fry.

Though my favorite is Curly.
"If Tetris taught me anything, it's that mistakes pile up, and accomplishments disappear."
(edited 2 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. So Tater Tots is still objectively garbage and if you like it you're wrong.
  • Topic Closed