• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. What makes 3D Zelda so much more divisive than 2D?

User Info: Spiral55

Spiral55
2 months ago#1
I don't often see people saying Minish Cap, Oracle of Season/Ages, Legend of Zelda, Links Awakening, or even Adventure of Link (not near as often in this case) among the worst entries in the series. But when it comes to 3D Zelda it often seems like these entries are either the worst or best from person to person in a higher frequency than the 2D ones.

Is there something the 3D games lack compared to 2D, or is it that the 2D games take less risk and therefore aren't as offensive to some?
LULZ

User Info: TitanOxide

TitanOxide
2 months ago#2
I think the 2D games are regarded as more "classic" and therefore have a lot backing them in a sense of what makes a good Zelda.

That said, PH and ST get a lot of s*** for being 2D Zelda games. I never played PH but ST was fun.
EDIT: I also think it has a lot to do with the age of the internet we are in, where when people rate things it's either 5* 100% or a 0. No in-between.
Where's the irony button when you need it.....

User Info: Atreides27

Atreides27
2 months ago#3
Another divisive topic!

First, there are lots of people who don't like the top-down Zelda's. Also, AoL is often considered the worst canon Zelda game (from what I have observed).

Second, something to consider is that the majority of top-down Zelda's are from an era that is earlier in gaming. LoZ, LttP, LA are all before OoT. Then the other top-downs following (including LA of course) are on handhelds. This may have divided many of the gamers strictly due to not having a handheld. So they might not have an opinion on it.

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
2 months ago#4
They have more gimmicks, are the focus of more series changes, and tend to have awful overworlds that lead to more division.
TP > OoT = MM > ST = SS = tWW > TFH > ALBW = PH > BOTW = MC > OoA > OoS > LA > FSA > FS > LoZ > AoL >>> aLttP

User Info: CantSeeForMiles

CantSeeForMiles
2 months ago#5
nostalgia. also, most 2d zelda games are not popular and irrelevant hence fanboys don't really give a s***
miles davis fan

User Info: CrimsonSmasher

CrimsonSmasher
2 months ago#6
Because 3D Zeldas have very blatant design flaws they refuse to fix meanwhile 2D Zelda was basically perfected by ALttP.

User Info: mclovinreturns

mclovinreturns
2 months ago#7
CantSeeForMiles posted...
nostalgia. also, most 2d zelda games are not popular and irrelevant hence fanboys don't really give a s***

This hit the nail on the head
i'm back

User Info: Microelectrode

Microelectrode
2 months ago#8
3D Zeldas are inconsistent with their number of dungeons, focus on side content vs. main quest, and the design of the overworld. Most 2D Zeldas are consistent in all of the above. Plus, 3D Zeldas are more mainstream and thus their differences more subject to analysis and criticism.

User Info: alphawindman

alphawindman
2 months ago#9
Because 2D Zelda came first. That's the only reason.
....Hold your fire! I'm a human!

User Info: Crudelitas

Crudelitas
2 months ago#10
2D Zelda's are easier to make, so it's harder to f*** them up.

Most of them are also pretty old. So they don't try as hard to pander to the widest possible audien... errr ... I mean, they're less "streamlined" and "accessible".

They're also generally less popular nowadays, because big bois only play sree dee, so people don't really talk about them that much or forget that they exist.
There is no path to git gud, for gitin' gud is the path.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. What makes 3D Zelda so much more divisive than 2D?
  • Topic Archived