You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Zelda Timeline (possible spoilers)

User Info: Pink_Moonlight

Pink_Moonlight
1 week ago#1
This question has probably been asked a thousand times on this board but what are your guys personal opinions on where BOTW stands in the timeline? I know in one of the official timelines they put the game after every Zelda game. My personal timeline placement would be in the adult timeline after WW, PH, and ST. Mainly because of the little detail that says “A new Hyrule Kingdom is founded”. If this is the Hyrule that is founded between PH and ST, correct me because I haven’t played those games. OR once the WW Hyrule was no longer flooded, it allowed for the scenery to regrow and flourish as before and allowing the discovery of the divine beasts as they were hidden under all the water in WW.

Again thats just my personal timeline placement but I’d love to know where you guys place it.
(message deleted)

Pink_Moonlight
1 week ago#3
Ad_Victoriam posted...
I hope it's in some sort of merged timeline, and that they make a game that shows how they merged. If I had to choose, my guess would be the downfall timeline.

I was thinking it could take place after Twilight Princess as well and if were to merge it would be both adult timelines. But I haven’t found anything through exploring that could support it.

User Info: Second_Seraph

Second_Seraph
1 week ago#4
The timeline is a complete load. The games were never meant to be connected because each one was self-contained. It's like trying to link Final Fantasy games together.
It's an amusing thing to speculate on but at the end of the day... it doesn't work. It's always going to be a slipshod mess. Won't stop fans from trying though, I guess. I just felt the need to be the one to say it in this particular thread of conversation.
(message deleted)

Pink_Moonlight
1 week ago#6
Second_Seraph posted...
The timeline is a complete load. The games were never meant to be connected because each one was self-contained. It's like trying to link Final Fantasy games together.
It's an amusing thing to speculate on but at the end of the day... it doesn't work. It's always going to be a slipshod mess. Won't stop fans from trying though, I guess. I just felt the need to be the one to say it in this particular thread of conversation.

This is true but yet all the main installments have been connected by something or other. The only ones I could argue placement with are the FS and FSA, MC, and others. It started with Skyward Sword then to Ocarina of Time which is where we see the first form of Ganon that Demise said he would be reborn as. Then the timelines split, going into the fallen timeline, child timeline, and adult timeline. I can’t specifically say anything for the fallen timeline bc I haven’t played all the games in that timeline, but Majoras Mask is a direct sequel to OOT, then to TP where Hero’s Shade connects us to OOT Link (he tried to return to Kokiri Forest and was turned into a stalfos). Wind Waker clearly references OOT Link in the beginning, PH and ST are direct sequels to WW. And putting sequels to the side, all the games reference each other in someway which can’t be mere coincidence. They do link (see what I did there) together in some form.

While BOTW could be its own standalone game away from any timeline, I can’t see it because of all the references back to the child and adult timeline plus skyward sword. Vah Ruta is from Ruto in OOT. Naboris is from Nabooru. The lakes by Zora Domain being named after the Zora Band in MM? It’s possible that the stories of legends were passed down so they named the Divine Beasts after them but if they didn’t, where did the names come from? If it isn’t it’s own standalone game, it has to be connected somewhere.

User Info: CarbonButtflap

CarbonButtflap
1 week ago#7
I hope they never certify. Its more fun to speculate imo.

I still maintain my Multidimensional Zelda Theory, which is just as easy to defend as the Split Timelines f***ery theory confirmed by 'tendo. You can argue even the Split timelines are their own dimensions... :)
MGM Studios isn't Spielberg. Fox isn't George RR Martin. Square Enix isn't Hironobu Sakaguchi. Great game creators are who make great games, not companies
(edited 1 week ago)

Pink_Moonlight
1 week ago#8
CarbonButtflap posted...
I hope they never certify. Its more fun to speculate imo.

I still maintain my Multidimensional Zelda Theory, which is just as easy to defend as the Split Timelines f***ery theory confirmed by 'tendo. You can argue even the Split timelines are their own dimensions... :)

I can definitely see that!!

User Info: DarkChozoGhost

DarkChozoGhost
1 week ago#9
Downfall fits best thematically.
My sister's dog bit a hole in my Super Mario Land cartridge. It still works though - Skye Reynolds
3DS FC: 3239-5612-0115

Pink_Moonlight
1 week ago#10
DarkChozoGhost posted...
Downfall fits best thematically.

What’s your reasoning on it?
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Zelda Timeline (possible spoilers)