You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Should the next Zelda look photo realistic?

User Info: SUPERZELDA16

SUPERZELDA16
1 week ago#101
Sir_Specter posted...
Why do you think photorealistic games only come from large studios? They can afford the extra manpower that smaller studios can't.

Some people around here want something looking like the new God of War... which has both good gameplay and realistic graphics, but did anyone stop to look at the credits length? I mean, they're like 30 minutes long... A freakton of people were involved in this, and the game still took like 8 years to develop... Any way you slice it, Nintendo doesn't have the staff to do the same thing. Especially since they have to supply their own games to the console all the time, or people are calling it a "drought" after 2 months.
Anyone with a balanced heart may wish upon the Triforce, and his will be granted. Except for you, Hylia. F*** you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: guesswho33

guesswho33
1 week ago#102
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
guesswho33 posted...
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
guesswho33 posted...
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
guesswho33 posted...
wafflekings posted...
gameplay OR photorealistic graphics. You can't have both

umm yes you can. lol.

Then you don't have a game for 10 years.

which is what it already takes Nintendo, practically. It's already been 8 since the last good Zelda game.

Technically, Tri Force Heroes released in 2015, so 2 years before BotW. If you consider that a spin-off and not worthy of your time (which doesn't matter btw, FS/FSA are in the same boat and nobody has any problem with it), then ALBW released in 2013, so 4 years before BotW.

Your notion of "good" doesn't have any influence on the factual amount of time between the games. Sorry.

TFH doesn't count, HW doesn't count, botw doesn't count (unless I change my mind after finishing it).

Bolded it for you.

Also I forget when ALBW came out, but that doesn't count, either.
Guess who I am.

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
1 week ago#103
Sir_Specter posted...
Zeveria posted...
Sir_Specter posted...
That's just not true. It may not be the same people working on the art and music, but photo realism still takes more time in addition to more money and that's money which could be better spent elsewhere. It takes longer to model and texture a realistic looking person than it does a cartoon. Link's whole face in Wind Waker is a texture. It's drawn on a round model with no facial features.

You seem to have a very bizarre concept of time. There are two tasks for a project:

Task 1 takes three years.

Task 2 takes six months.

Two separate teams work on these tasks. The project is completed in three years. And if we put more time into Task 2, so it took twice as long (one year), the project would still be completed in three years. And the only way Task 2 is going to draw the project out is if it exceeds three years and no extra time is put into Task 1 at all. In the case of graphics vs gameplay, this is horribly unrealistic. You're not going to see many games delayed over graphics.

Nobody said anything about delays. They usually just release games unfinished rather than delay them nowadays. But regardless, making a realistic model and drawing a realistic texture takes more time than modeling a cartoon character with lower poly count.

Doesn't matter. Compared to gameplay, creating graphics really doesn't take that long at all. It's just more costly. And since graphical creation is done in tandem, unless something goes horribly wrong or time is badly managed to the point that time spent on graphics >= time spent on gameplay, it won't make a difference.
TP > OoT = MM > ST = SS = tWW > TFH > ALBW = PH > BOTW = MC > OoA > OoS > LA > FSA > FS > LoZ > AoL >>> aLttP

SUPERZELDA16
1 week ago#104
Zeveria posted...
creating graphics really doesn't take that long at all

You really don't know what you're talking about. Graphics take freaking long, be them cartoony or realistic. More realism just needs more time on top of that.
Anyone with a balanced heart may wish upon the Triforce, and his will be granted. Except for you, Hylia. F*** you.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru

User Info: Rustykranz

Rustykranz
1 week ago#105
The next Zelda should be 8 bit pixel graphics.
Botw board town drunk now and forever

User Info: Atreides27

Atreides27
1 week ago#106
Rustykranz posted...
The next Zelda should be 8 bit pixel graphics.

Next Zelda should be table-top adventure role playing game.

guesswho33
1 week ago#107
The ones, such as carbon, who are in love with botw will cry big time during the next Zelda. We all know it's going to have legit dungeons. As I said before, EVERY single time I say my biggest criticism with a latest Zelda game, Nintendo rectifies it for the next one. The top complaint, by far, has also been that dungeons aren't legit dungeons. Next game will have them. Baffling how they even made the mistake this time when they already made it in WW, which I had to complain about on here back then, too.
Guess who I am.

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
1 week ago#108
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
Zeveria posted...

You really don't know what you're talking about. Graphics take freaking long, be them cartoony or realistic. More realism just needs more time on top of that.

Compared to the actual gameplay? No. Especially with how many shortcuts most developers use, like character creation for the majority of the NPCs.
TP > OoT = MM > ST = SS = tWW > TFH > ALBW = PH > BOTW = MC > OoA > OoS > LA > FSA > FS > LoZ > AoL >>> aLttP

guesswho33
1 week ago#109
Zeveria posted...
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
Zeveria posted...

Compared to the actual gameplay? No. Especially with how many shortcuts most developers use, like character creation for the majority of the NPCs.

he just likes arguing...
Guess who I am.

SUPERZELDA16
1 week ago#110
Zeveria posted...
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
Zeveria posted...

Even if some developers take shortcuts to create things (like NPCs), someone still has to make the assets for the character creation and someone else has to code it all together. And it's not a common thing to do either. NPCs are probably all based on the same base model, which saves time, but it still takes time to do everything else related to graphics. Models, textures (that includes the actual texture images, but also the texture mapping and the shading), the animations (which can be reused in some cases, but most of the time still need to be adjusted for differences in the model). Then in some cases, you have to worry about the lighting (yes, some characters need special lights to illuminate them better so it looks evenly lit everywhere)...

It's nowhere as simple as you make it sound. Yes, gameplay takes time too, but 1) it's not the same teams. 2) Both are done in parallel, and 3) Both actually end up at approximately the same time, because both teams need updates from the other to actually make progress.
-- Din, Farore & Nayru
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Should the next Zelda look photo realistic?