You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Should the next Zelda look photo realistic?

User Info: Zeldameister

Zeldameister
1 week ago#1
The Legend of Zelda has been through countless different art styles and almost every game looks different from another. Which art style would you like to see next?
Also, does the next Zelda need to look photo realistic? To be honest, I already expected Breath of the Wild to look different from how it looks now. Thanks Wii U Tech Demo!

But that's exactly it! In my opinion, that would be the perfect new art style for the next Zelda. We already had Cel-Shading with Wind Waker, Four Swords and the DS-Games.
I really don't want to see another Toon Link, as much as I love Wind Waker, but please no! Twilight Princess looks mature and that's more the direction I want it to take.

Skyward Sword also looked a bit weird, like a fusion of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I never really liked the character models with their huge fat lips. Disgusting!
Breath of the Wild looks like a playable Ghibli Movie and that's fine. But for god's sake, we have 2019 now! Enough with this! The Switch is capable of so much more!
#Sora4Smash #Banjo4Smash #Lloyd4Smash

User Info: honiberri

honiberri
1 week ago#2
Skyward Sword was completely hideous to look at. But photorealistic is worse. I can't imagine them going that direction, but if they did I honestly would have to think long and hard about whether it would still be worth buying.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, but you wouldn't know it for the smell.

User Info: residentbowers

residentbowers
1 week ago#3
I prefer the timeless style. Fits the series better and these are games that are going to be played for decades. Nintendo is better to think about what is going to still look good down the line. The good for the moment style works for a lot of 3rd party companies because their games only get played for one console generation and then get forgotten. Nobody is going back to play the old GTAs or Witchers, Maddens, etc. So the fact that they've aged terribly isn't as big of a deal. You're meant to just play the newest game. When you at Nintendo's level and you're making classics that doesn't work out as well.

User Info: nurlen

nurlen
1 week ago#4
Keep that crap for the sports games
Marin's guardian

User Info: Thrasher7170

Thrasher7170
1 week ago#5
For the love of god, no. BotW got the perfect balance between realism and stylization, and it’s absolutely lovely. “Photorealistic” games become outdated the moment they’re released, and will never look as good as a stylized game even a year later.
3.5 lbs of Sour Patch Kids makes one Sour Patch Child.
Bisexual and proud

User Info: Naruto_fan_42

Naruto_fan_42
1 week ago#6
Ghibli-style looks way better. TP had a grittier style, but not photorealistic. It's just not Zelda.
Zelda rescues the princess from Gannon with the Hylian Sword and the Master Shield, and the spells Din's Love, Farore's Fire, and Nayru's Wind.

Zeldameister
1 week ago#7
Thrasher7170 posted...
For the love of god, no. BotW got the perfect balance between realism and stylization, and it’s absolutely lovely. “Photorealistic” games become outdated the moment they’re released, and will never look as good as a stylized game even a year later.

So.... God of War for the PS4 will look like trash in a few years?

User Info: Super1Up

Super1Up
1 week ago#8
Zeldameister posted...
Thrasher7170 posted...

outdated doesn't mean trash, but yes it will probably look outdated.
"The right thing.. what is it? I wonder, if you do the right thing, does it really make everyone happy?"

User Info: Thrasher7170

Thrasher7170
1 week ago#9
Zeldameister posted...
Thrasher7170 posted...

Definitely. There’s no doubt about it. More and more games will release with even higher “realism,” and God of War will look uncanny in comparison.
3.5 lbs of Sour Patch Kids makes one Sour Patch Child.
Bisexual and proud

Zeldameister
1 week ago#10
Thrasher7170 posted...
Zeldameister posted...
Thrasher7170 posted...

Definitely. There’s no doubt about it. More and more games will release with even higher “realism,” and God of War will look uncanny in comparison.

Well, I don't care. But I also know for sure, that Nintendo would never choose such an art style for Zelda. Just imagine Link to look as detailed as Kratos, funny isn't it?
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Should the next Zelda look photo realistic?