You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Other than Sonic, is there a worse decline in a game series than the TP-SS era?

User Info: The3rdOption

The3rdOption
3 weeks ago#1
Since I'm thoroughly tired of r/truezelda's anti-BotW/pro-TP-SS circlejerk*; I just want something without that filter for the time being.

So what do you think? Pretty much everyone, even the people who like the TP-SS era, think that it's the worst era in the Zelda series for its underwhelming exploration, lack of challenge, reliance on shoehorned gimmicks, and (most of all) the long stretches of dull, unengaging gameplay between the admittedly fun parts.

But (other than Sonic, since that's too obvious), is it the worst decline in a video game series ever? There have been some pretty bad declines in video game series before, but does the TP-SS era stand as one of the worst?

I'm probably not going to respond to anyone here. I'm just here to observe.

[*]: If you need an example of the sub's circlejerk, see here: https://www.reddit.com/r/truezelda/comments/aggwu3/what_does_good_game_but_a_bad_zelda_game_really/. And no, the entirety of the rest of Reddit isn't nearly as bad.
Be a good person; delete nested quotes

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
3 weeks ago#2
nobody cares about you whining about a completely different board
Welcome to the world of idiots.

User Info: Thrasher7170

Thrasher7170
3 weeks ago#3
...no. Just... no. TP and SS are two of the best Zelda games, along with BotW. There was never this mythical “decline” for the Zelda series.
3.5 lbs of Sour Patch Kids makes one Sour Patch Child.
Bisexual and proud

User Info: Timinatron

Timinatron
3 weeks ago#4
If decline means the games got piss easy during that era, then yes. But they were still good games...
Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Master Quest
"If it isn't Zelda, it's Skyrim."-guesspoostain
(message deleted)

User Info: CarbonButtflap

CarbonButtflap
3 weeks ago#6
Timinatron posted...
If decline means the games got piss easy during that era, then yes. But they were still good games...

My beefs with linearity and bomb bowling aside, this
MGM Studios isn't Spielberg. Fox isn't George RR Martin. Square Enix isn't Hironobu Sakaguchi. Great game creators are who make great games, not companies
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: imagine606

imagine606
3 weeks ago#7
Assassin's Creed between 2 and Origins
Batman Arkham series after Arkham City
Darksiders after 2
Super Mario Bros after Super Mario World (and I really like everything since then)
Mass Effect after 2
Resident Evil after 4 and before 7
Silent Hill after 3 (and I really like most of what came out after that)
Metroid after Prime
I was going to say Call of Duty after Modern Warfare, but to be fair, I really wasn't even much of a fan of that game
Bubsy
LittleBigPlanet after 1 (another where the rest have still been good games)
Punch Out after MTPO (games since have been good)
Metal Gear Solid after 3 and before the first half of 5, also, 2 was good, but to me didn't stack up to 1 or 3
Diablo

I'm only getting started, but I see TP as one of the highest peaks in the series, even if it is one of the easier games in the series, and I think the SS is flawed, but is also an excellent game that brings some of, if not the best dungeons in the series. Also, the flying is fun for me.

User Info: Regal_Bryant12

Regal_Bryant12
3 weeks ago#8
Timinatron posted...
Yeah man I conquered this sucka! -Mac
Attitude check...Yeah, I'm really high! -Zoe

User Info: Rustykranz

Rustykranz
3 weeks ago#9
Timinatron posted...
If tldr means the games got tldr during that tldr, then tldr. But they were still good tldrs...
Botw board town drunk now and forever

User Info: InfinityOver0

InfinityOver0
3 weeks ago#10
FF 12-current, inclusive
Science is life
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Other than Sonic, is there a worse decline in a game series than the TP-SS era?