• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Breath of the Wild received a HUGE graphical downgrade from E3 2014 footage

User Info: UnwipedPooStain

UnwipedPooStain
2 months ago#1
"Graphics aren't everything" Yeah yeah everybody says that dumb s*** but if a game you do like has good graphics the first thing people say is " Wow, see Nintendo can make good graphics!!!111!"

Whether you admit it or not Graphics ARE a large part of the game just like the Gameplay, Music, Atmosphere, Controls, and Story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWZYql-Q3QY

In case you are wondering all the downgrades here is a list someone in the comments made:

- Worse AMOUNT of trees (compared to 2014-version WiiU only), especially noticable when you jump down the abyss
- jump down the WiIU-version (full of trees) and jump down Switch/WiiU-version of 2017 (many trees are gone!)
- worse music/sound-quality
- worse gliding-animation
- much worse draw-sight
- less/no popping-in trees/enemies compared to 2017 (2017-version has just ghosts appear out of thin air xD)
- framerate is also MUCH MUCH Worse (2014-version appears to have at least smooth 30 fps, but it might also be 60 fps)
- grass-animation and grass-quality (lighting) is MUCH MUCH WORSE on 2017-version compared to 2014-WiiU-only version
- gameplay itself also appears to be much slower (gliding, running and even horse-riding is much much slower compared to 2014-WiiU only version!)
- SHADOWS are much much worse overall against the 2014-version!
- textures are worse
- Lighting is leagues worse than in 2014!
- much worse horses AI (yes, horses didn´t run against trees in 2014-WiiU-version!)
- and i also bet, that in the WiiU-version of 2014 the COLLISSION-detection of bushes, threes etc also works way better. Meaning: You can`t run into trees or bushes. Since there is a collission then.

So yeah. The downgrade is VISIBLE!
jigglyweigel: I cant take anything seriously from a man named Unwipedpoostain.

User Info: Rustykranz

Rustykranz
2 months ago#2
K
Botw board town drunk now and forever

User Info: spiritomolto

spiritomolto
2 months ago#3
So...what is this supposed to mean? The game still looks good, in my opinion.
The black dog runs at night.

User Info: Nabinator

Nabinator
2 months ago#4
That is probably the worst downgrade I've seen in recent years. It's the Switch though, it's not a powerful console. You need a PS4 for these kinds of visuals.
You have the right to have an opinion, but that doesn't mean your opinion is right

User Info: SUPERZELDA16

SUPERZELDA16
2 months ago#5
What are you trying to prove here? It's not like finding out about this two years after release will change anything...

Concessions had to be made graphic-wise, ok yes, maybe, but so what?
For all we know, the demo presented in 2014 could be using a smaller overworld than the retail product, or a world only partially populated? Maybe they realized later in development that such an high object density wouldn't work with the console's memory on the scale they were envisioning... Pretty sure the other compromises to the graphics department were made in response to this too, or to make the rest of the physics engine work the way it does now.

Also I think the tree density may have been toned down to be able to navigate more easily in forested areas. The forest areas still appear dense in-game too, so it's not really a problem.

This is just a case of an ambitious project using more resources than the console can deliver. Things were cut down and optimized accordingly to make it fit. Nothing really exciting here. Sorry if that pops your conspiracy bubble.

User Info: CarbonButtflap

CarbonButtflap
2 months ago#6
I can see why that might irk some people, but how pretty a game is has never had any bearing on how much I enjoy it. I will long contend that Red Dead 2 is an excellent game but it being pretty holds no value to me whatsoever. The glitches are funny though

I love me a good indie game, pixels and all
guesswho33 posted...
I dunno about that, but we definitely didn't go to the moon, in my opinion.

User Info: nurlen

nurlen
2 months ago#7
Idk man I have no problem with it not looking so intense with every color
Marin's guardian

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
2 months ago#8
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
For all we know, the demo presented in 2014 could be using a smaller overworld than the retail product, or a world only partially populated?

Of course it was smaller. Though there was no reason for the overworld to be as big as it was in the final product, so that's not much of an excuse...
TP > OoT = MM > ST = SS = tWW > TFH > ALBW = PH > BOTW = MC > OoA > OoS > LA > FSA > FS > LoZ > AoL >>> aLttP

User Info: UnwipedPooStain

UnwipedPooStain
2 months ago#9
CarbonButtflap posted...
I can see why that might irk some people, but how pretty a game is has never had any bearing on how much I enjoy it. I will long contend that Red Dead 2 is an excellent game but it being pretty holds no value to me whatsoever. The glitches are funny though

I love me a good indie game, pixels and all

Don't get me started on Red Dead 2. It's a fun game, great storytelling, and the graphics are really good BUT damn did they mess the controls up. Red Dead 1 handled SO much better /offtopic
jigglyweigel: I cant take anything seriously from a man named Unwipedpoostain.

User Info: SUPERZELDA16

SUPERZELDA16
2 months ago#10
Zeveria posted...
SUPERZELDA16 posted...
For all we know, the demo presented in 2014 could be using a smaller overworld than the retail product, or a world only partially populated?

Of course it was smaller. Though there was no reason for the overworld to be as big as it was in the final product, so that's not much of an excuse...

To be fair, I found the sense of scale in BotW to be just about right. Things that appear to be far away, are far away, but not as far as to demand more than 10 minutes to reach (if you go in a straight line).

The point of the sentence though was to explain why the demo was more crowded than the final product.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Breath of the Wild received a HUGE graphical downgrade from E3 2014 footage
  • Topic Archived