• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Zelda fans there is nothing wrong with OoT 2.0 and BoTW is not like Zelda 1

User Info: UnwipedPooStain

UnwipedPooStain
2 months ago#1
Here are 2 arguments that I am going to kill today.

1. Twilight Princess sucked because it tried to be like OoT.
Wrong.

The best part about Twilight Princess is what it did copy from OoT. The amount of dungeons and their design might be the peak of the franchise. Bringing back serious Adult Link is just awesome compared to another Child Link allowing for a more mature look of the game and the combat was the best the series has seen. Some characters models were very ugly in this game I won't deny that but Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf have never looked better.

The worst parts about Twilight Princess is what it didn't copy from Ocarina.

Ocarina introduced the main villain at the very beginning of the game and built up his reputation greatly up until the final battle, instead of replacing him with another villain at the very end

Ocarina put you in the first dungeon in 3 minutes but Twilight Princess has a far too long tutorial stage.

Ocarina has alot of freedom in choosing the order of Adult dungeons but Twilight Princess is far more linear in design.

Ocarina has alot more uses of its dungeon items in the overworld.

Ocarina's Hyrule Field is barren just like Twilight Princess's but it is much smaller making it feel like less of a waste of space.

Ocarina had some interesting mechanics/themes between switching time periods like the Song of Storms and the Spirit Temple, but the Twilight World of TP lacked anything to connect it to the Regular World. Once you the beat Twilight sections you never revisit them for anything. Metroid Prime 2 had a much better Dark World/Light World thing going on.

The Wolf Link is similar to the transformation masks in Majora's Mask but MM had 4 transformations that opened a hell of alot more gameplay options than Wolf Link. Not to mention MM forces Deku Link on you at the start of the game but then you get full control of when you switch. TP forces you to be Wolf Link several times throughout the game and he offers no real advantage over Human Link.

So anyway long story short actual OoT 2.0 would be an easy 10/10 game all they would have to do is clean up some of the outdated aspects of OoT like pushing block puzzles, more modern combat, and further expand on the time travel mechanics.

I will never understand what is wrong with making a game similar to a previous entry? " Well gee I really enjoyed OoT so for the next entry I hope they shake things up tremendously so it isn't even recognizable to that game. " Like WTF?

Here are some games that don't shake up things up that much but they still sell well and I enjoy almost every one of them:
2D Marios
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Call of Duty
Far Cry
2D Metroids

REMEMBER IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT.
jigglyweigel: I cant take anything seriously from a man named Unwipedpoostain.

UnwipedPooStain
2 months ago#2
Argument # 2 BoTW is like the classic Zelda 1.

This is going to be short and sweet. NOOOOOOOOO

The majority of Zelda 1's content is in the game's dungeons. The game has 9 dungeons ( not 4 ) every dungeon has an item to unlock more of the overworld, the Raft being used to even enter one of the dungeons! The dungeons all feature a unique boss fight at the end ( instead of Calamity Ganon each time). The dungeons are pretty long for a NES game and feature locked doors and small keys to get through them ( instead of beating in 10 minutes flat with no locked rooms, no compass, no sense of progression) . Some rooms are filled with enemies and they must all be defeated to progress ( instead of featuring no enemies at all )

Hmm BoTW on the hand features an " open world " similar to Ubisoft games, hands out quests similar to Skyrim, and has towers stolen directly from Far Cry/Assasin's Creed.

User Info: Rustykranz

Rustykranz
2 months ago#3
tldr
Botw board town drunk now and forever

User Info: DeltaInferno

DeltaInferno
2 months ago#4
https://www.moregameslike.com/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time/

Just play something else, i reccomend Okami.

Also I'm sure this opens me up for some I'm bad at games comment (I can beat Bayonetta on all but the highest settings so I'm good) but i personally took 30 minutes to an hour per Divine Beast. While I'll agree i didnt enjoy the entirety of that time. I felt fairly challenged.

I didn't like 3d zelda much i enjoyed this so thats all i have to add.
3ds friend code:1908 1467 8353

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
2 months ago#5
I actually just played the original LoZ a couple of days ago for the first time in years. It's actually a lot more linear, structured, and hand-holdy than I remember and I think most people give it credit for. The main difference is that, unlike other Zelda games, LoZ used soft barriers, not hard barriers...which is to say the game locked content behind secrets so well hidden that you would certainly play the game in order unless you had a guide or had previously beaten it.

Dungeons 1, 2, and 3 can feasibly be done out of Order. Dungeon 1 is needed for Dungeon 6 and Dungeon 3 is needed for Dungeon 4. However Dungeon 6 is tucked far out of the way and you probably won't get to that area without the step latter unless you go out of your way and ignore the more accessible dungeons.

In addition, Dungeon 3 tells you to visit the old man on top of the waterfall, encouraging you to reach this area. However, without prior experience or an outside source of information, you won't reach Dungeon 5. With the raft, you're likely to find Dungeon 4 pretty easily.

Dungeon 4 gives you the stepladder and tells you to go inside the previously mentioned waterfall. Following this lead will eventually lead you to Dungeon 5. At this point, without another lead, the stepladder obtained, and the right side of the map explored, the player is sure to go left next (I did anyway) leading them to Dungeon 6.

Dungeons 7 and 8 are well hidden, but Dungeon 6 tells you where to find Dungeon 7. And Dungeon 7 gives you a red candle, which not only clues you in on what to do next, but also lets you spam fire to find Dungeon 8. Finally, Dungeon 8 tells you the location of Dungeon 9.

Overall, there's a lot more old men telling you where to go next than I remember, less OCD spamming ("exploration") than I remember, and more hand holding as well...in fact, I think there's an old man telling you how to beat every boss in the game if it's more complex than "just swing your sword".

UnwipedPooStain posted...
Ocarina has alot of freedom in choosing the order of Adult dungeons but Twilight Princess is far more linear in design.

I see people say this and yet I don't think I've seen a single person actually do them out of order...probably because it's pointless.

Does it now? And why do you think this?

Ocarina's Hyrule Field is barren just like Twilight Princess's but it is much smaller making it feel like less of a waste of space.

Fair enough.

TP forces you to be Wolf Link several times throughout the game and he offers no real advantage over Human Link.

Speed and killing Shadow Beasts more easily. It's not much, but to be honest the Deku and Zora forms held no advantages over Link at all, while Goron also had speed. You used them for the 1-2 abilities they had and that's it. Wolf Link is just all the abilities packaged into one.

Personally, I think it's preferable that Link be the dominant form.
TP > OoT = MM > ST = SS = tWW > TFH > ALBW = PH > BOTW = MC > OoA > OoS > LA > FSA > FS > LoZ > AoL >>> aLttP

UnwipedPooStain
2 months ago#6

I see people say this and yet I don't think I've seen a single person actually do them out of order...probably because it's pointless.

> Actually it isn't. The Longshot is imo more useful than the Megaton Hammer and there is a big debate whether the Spirit Temple or Shadow Temple comes first. So that's 4 dungeons you can do in a different order. It adds alot to replay value as well.

Does it now? And why do you think this?

> Mainly because items like the Spinner, Dominion Rod, and Ball and Chain have very limited uses. Also while I do love using the Double Clawshot it is VERY LIMITED in use compared to the Hookshot/Longshot which can grab targets, trees, torches, and even treasure chests.

Items that SHOULD have limited use in Ocarina like the Lens of Truth surprisingly has alot of usage in 3 different dungeons and also can be used in a sidequest as well. Also the Mirror Shield and Biggoron Sword are very nice upgrades for Link that feel missing in Twilight Princess.

TP forces you to be Wolf Link several times throughout the game and he offers no real advantage over Human Link.

Speed and killing Shadow Beasts more easily. It's not much, but to be honest the Deku and Zora forms held no advantages over Link at all, while Goron also had speed. You used them for the 1-2 abilities they had and that's it. Wolf Link is just all the abilities packaged into one.

> Sorry dude I love Twilight Princess too but MM just blows TP out of the f***ing water with the transformation masks. They beat Wolf Link in every possible way. Deku Link alone is better than Wolf Link!

For example Deku Link has plenty of minigames and puzzles exclusive to his abilities. Deku Link can skip on water, blow bubbles for ranged attacks before the bow, attack using flower pedals for boss fights, drop seeds while flying, and even offers a speed boost for Link early game. Deku Link can be transformed into anywhere at anytime, no Midna saying " you might scare somebody so go hide before you transform ", Deku Link can actually talk to people and they will treat him differently depending on which species you are currently playing as.

Zora Link offers some of the most fun swimming controls of any game, not in MM 3D, even beating out the Zora armor in TP. Also every transformation masks gets their own instrument to add to their overall character and charm! Every transformation masks gets different animations when opening treasure chests, where as Wolf Link has to turn back to human Link. Every transformation masks also gets a backstory to the character you are taking place of. The only flaw of the transformation masks is that yes Link is so much superior to them when it comes to combat ( except Fierce Deity), a flaw Wolf Link shares as well. But even then Deku Link's bubbles are useful early game and Zora Link is fun to fight with underwater.

Personally, I think it's preferable that Link be the dominant form.

> I mean I agree but transformations, when done right, are a hell of a lot of fun and alot of value to the game.

User Info: Lil_Bit83

Lil_Bit83
2 months ago#7
Don't you mean the ALttP formula that Ocarina copied?

In terms of being open world. It is like TLoZ... and WW and ALBW. In other ways, not so much.

And I'd say that in terms of Overworld and Dungeons, TLoZ was equal. 2 quests, 18 distinct dungeons, and a world that had items and dungeon entrances in different places.
I'm a chick

User Info: Lil_Bit83

Lil_Bit83
2 months ago#8
Are you arguing with yourself?
I'm a chick

User Info: sorinev

sorinev
2 months ago#9
When I think of BotW being like LoZ, I'm thinking more about the large, open overworld. OoT felt so much smaller than what I imagined a 3Dified LoZ to be, but BotW is pretty much there. It's massive, and is what I was looking for. But in terms of dungeons, yes it falls far short of the mark, seeing as how it doesn't even have any in the traditional sense. Divine Beasts are close, but not quite.

And I guess we should clarify "out of order" on the dungeons in LoZ. If we're talking about simply setting foot in them, then yes, there are restrictions. But if we're meaning actually completing them, then there's a lot more freedom because you can simply duck in, grab the special item, and get out (Level 9 being the obvious exception).

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
2 months ago#10
Bringing back serious Adult Link is just awesome compared to another Child Link allowing for a more mature look of the game
so you're about 8 right

one day you'll realize that this desire to be mature is actually the least mature thing
Welcome to the world of idiots.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Zelda fans there is nothing wrong with OoT 2.0 and BoTW is not like Zelda 1
  • Topic Archived