• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Why are Zelda games going downhill?

User Info: ScrewZelink

ScrewZelink
2 weeks ago#1
Okay, I haven't played the ds games which I heard were when it started going downhill but after Twilight Princess, they had Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild which were sub-par. I played a demo of Hyrule Warriors and I thought it was kind of boring because all you do is fight a bunch of bokoblins. Skyward Sword just had a terrible story and characters and mediocre gameplay while Breath of the Wild was great in its gameplay but lacking in its story and characters. I know y'all are wondering "Well, what's wrong with SS's story?" Well, the pacing was too slow, there were a lot of plot holes and questions. Now let's get to the cons of the two recent 3D Zelda games

Implied romance: There is mushy anime romance between two main characters in SS. I am not a romance person and one good thing about Zelda was they hardly even throw in romance between two main characters. Oracles and AOL had a kiss but that was it. BOTW had implied romance between the hero and princess but to a lesser extent than SS but it was still a terrible relationship. Link, although, seemed to think of Zelda as a close friend rather than a love interest in BOTW. Link has never been much of a romantic, we've seen him appear to have a little crush on characters such as Ilia and Midna where he would smile every time he's around them and people would leave them alone but it didn't go any further than that and Ilia was a very minor character. SS Link on the other hand just went full out lovey-dovey, he follows Zelda around like a lost puppy to the point of obsession (staying with her at the end of the game), sniffs her perfume, and held hands with her.

They made Zelda a jerk and crybaby: Yes, I know there are different incarnations of Zelda but she has almost never cried in a Zelda game except for I think once in ST but in SS and BOTW, she cries more times than she used to. Also, they made her such a jerk to Link, in SS, she has a bad habit of pushing him off cliffs and snapping at him when he praises her costume or says something like "Uh oh". She is also jealous of Link's bird. In BOTW, when she first met Link, she acted very coldly to him, rebels her father, and tries to get Link to eat a live frog.

They made Link a bit too rude: Link was always this chivalrous knight who was friendly with people but in SS and BOTW, he a bit too snarkiy to people. Like for example, when his things get stolen by bokoblins in SS, he snaps at a mogma who was doing nothing but being helpful to him and says "Ok already". He also gave up school and skyloft to live with Zelda when he's only like 17 and you have to be like 20 to live with someone you love or obsess over them to the point of following them around like a lost puppy. In BOTW, he turns down Bozai's offer to hang out with him in favor of sand boots.

I won't go in-depth with this part but their stories have became overly complex as of recently. Complex has never really been Nintendo's forte. Zelda games are known for simple stories. But Nintendo has been trying too hard with making its characters and stories too complex. Also, they are starting to make them too intense and dramatic now like having the main character, Zelda cry more often. I am not a drama person, I'm more of a comedy person.

Bonus: Nintendo just can't find a balance between gameplay and story, SS focused more on its story, leaving its gameplay repetitive, linear, empty, and not fresh enough, BOTW focused more on its gameplay and wanted to tell a story but it ended up a short go defeat the divine beasts and ganon and find the memories rather than a big story adventure like the other ones are. I don't care for story-driven games but if BOTW wanted to focus more on its gameplay, why not just not have a story, just have the story play out however the player wants it to play out.

So, I was wondering, why are Zelda games going downhill like this? I think this is because I dilsike Fujibayashi and Miyamoto needs 2 do more with dem I need games like TP, WW and OOT back.

User Info: zombiehunting84

zombiehunting84
2 weeks ago#2
Nope, I'm out
PSN: ThePixies
XBL: Predat0rPrime

User Info: nurlen

nurlen
2 weeks ago#3
Hey, guesswho #5
Marin's guardian

User Info: chrispkmnmaster

chrispkmnmaster
2 weeks ago#4
Who is guesswho's 5th account @nurlen
Top 12 games 1 SMS SA2B 2 BotW SS 3 TP HD 4 SMO OoT 3d SMG1 SMG2 5 Pkmn Gen 4 and 7, 6 Colosseum XD 7 PM64 8 PM 2, 9 PM 3 10 Pkmn Gen 2 and 3, 11 SM64DS 12 SM64

User Info: CarbonButtflap

CarbonButtflap
2 weeks ago#5
yes

please give us that quality mature nintendo storytelling

like Tingle and the bug girl
https://goo.gl/images/JCzdpW

User Info: chrispkmnmaster

chrispkmnmaster
2 weeks ago#6
Also TC nobody knows if link had a crush on zelda or not in botw, and SS is the best zeda game ever tied with botw. SS romance wasnt much, no guarantee link liked zelda or vice versa. Tho it was implied they both like eachother that way, no guarantee. Only guaranteed crush in SS and botw is in SS groose on zelda, and in Botw zelda and mipha on link. So actually Botw is more romantic than them in a way, more guaranteed crushes, and only guaranteed crush against link between the 2 games.

And idk how a kiss is less romantic than SS. I think it makes them more romantic than SS tbh
Top 12 games 1 SMS SA2B 2 BotW SS 3 TP HD 4 SMO OoT 3d SMG1 SMG2 5 Pkmn Gen 4 and 7, 6 Colosseum XD 7 PM64 8 PM 2, 9 PM 3 10 Pkmn Gen 2 and 3, 11 SM64DS 12 SM64

User Info: Rustykranz

Rustykranz
2 weeks ago#7
TLDR
Botw board town drunk now and forever

User Info: ScrewZelink

ScrewZelink
2 weeks ago#8
zombiehunting84 posted...
Nope, I'm out

Well you go on ahead, but I'm sending a letter to Nintendo to get Miyamoto's lazy butt to help the Zelda games get their glory back.

User Info: Rustykranz

Rustykranz
2 weeks ago#9
ScrewZelink posted...
zombiehunting84 posted...
Nope, I'm out

Well you go on ahead, but I'm sending a letter to Nintendo to get Miyamoto's lazy butt to help the Zelda games get their glory back.

good luck lol
Botw board town drunk now and forever

User Info: ShayTanael

ShayTanael
2 weeks ago#10
It all started with MM3D’s attempt to appeal to the younger kids by dumbing down the game.

This mindset carried on full force with BoTW which decided to say “f*** everything that makes Zelda Zelda, lets just strip away the iconic character designs, music, dungeons and memorable boss battles for a Skyrim clone cause that’s whats popular nowadays!”
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Why are Zelda games going downhill?
  • Topic Archived