What is the saddest Zelda game for you? (Spoilers for entire series)

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. What is the saddest Zelda game for you? (Spoilers for entire series)
Which Zelda game punches you right in the feelings the most?

For me, it's Link's Awakening. To form a bond with Marin, and to literally lose everything for beating the game. It's the ultimate loss. Link saved no one, and all that's left are his memories.

I was inspired to create this topic after hearing the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra's rendition of "Ballad of the Wind Fish," which really brought back the memories of Koholint for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkGJmFjfx6Q
Guns don't kill people.
Guns let one person kill 59 people in 10 minutes.

User Info: promero14

promero14
1 week ago#2
MM has way more sad stories....

User Info: the_cajun88

the_cajun88
1 week ago#3
TP.

Mainly because the wagon minigame stands out to me. If you lose that minigame, you get a cutscene where the wagon you were trying to protect is seen burning, you hear children screaming, and ‘GAME OVER’ appears in big red letters.

Now, I’ve seen some messed up s*** in video games that make this look tame, but that sequence still makes me go ‘oh s***’ to this day.

Then there’s the Interlopers scene where Link gets wholly white eyes and Ilia is hiding a knife. Also, the Yeti dude’s wife and Midna’s story. Even the music when Midna was about to die was super emotional.

I haven’t played this game in almost 10 years.
http://i.imgur.com/OkvDFD3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/owvpCYR.jpg
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Blue Donkeykong

Blue Donkeykong
1 week ago#4
promero14 posted...
MM has way more sad stories....

It definitely has more, but nothing that hit me like losing everything at the end of the amazing journey that was Link's Awakening. The game actually made me feel like Link and Marin had a bond, and it still bothers me to have all of that vanish.

As a kid, I was also bothered by Saria becoming the sage of the forest in Ocarina of Time, but something about Marin and Koholint hits me even harder to this day.
Guns don't kill people.
Guns let one person kill 59 people in 10 minutes.

User Info: CardTamer

CardTamer
1 week ago#5
I'm going with Breath of the Wild. A ton of people and almost all of Hyrule's civilization was wiped out during the Great Cataclysm. Generations of history, art, science, culture and knowledge have been lost forever. The Hylians may be able to rebuild quickly, but it will be generations before they can even truly begin to recover, if ever.
"Sometimes crazy works." -Optimus Primal

User Info: Forest_Temple

Forest_Temple
1 week ago#6
Majoras Mask and it's not even close. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand the game.
OOTs Forest Temple is the best Zelda dungeon.

User Info: jmepik

jmepik
1 week ago#7
I wouldn’t say it’s “not even close”, MM has a lot of tragic stories that hit close to home, and the tone it’s setting doesn’t help much. But BOTW actually comes a close second to me (and I did play Link’s Awakening, too). Link doesn’t emote very well but the context is harrowing.

Imagine waking up a century after your own failure caused the death of thousands. Imagine carrying all that on your shoulders, knowing your inability to act meant innocents had to die, knights had to fall (including your own father and many honorable comrades). The dread you felt when, just as you were so close to victory, with thoughts of hope for a new future, Ganon turns your entire army against you. The loss of Mipha, the girl who loved you, her unrequited love poured into a beautiful piece of craftsmanship that you wear to save her people, only to have it all sting that much harder when you see her again, dead and forever gone from this world, unable to be with you. Knowing that the champions who placed their faith in you will never live again, confined to their mechanical tombs, still honoring their duty when they have every right to be furious that you, out of each of them, are lucky enough to continue to live a real life.

And finally, the urgency and sense of panic in knowing the only person still alive who you might care about, Zelda, has been holding back an unspeakable force of evil for a century and is days away from death.

The boy chosen by the sword to seal away the darkness, and in Hyrule’s eleventh hour, you were sent away to rest and heal. You did all you could, sure – but deep down that just makes it worse. You’re not enough. And now you have to make it right. Can you? Doesn’t matter. You must – but that doesn’t make the burden of the past easier to bear.
FC: 2981-8731-3433 | IGN: Jam (Sun)

User Info: Forest_Temple

Forest_Temple
1 week ago#8
jmepik posted...
I wouldn’t say it’s “not even close”, MM has a lot of tragic stories that hit close to home, and the tone it’s setting doesn’t help much. But BOTW actually comes a close second to me (and I did play Link’s Awakening, too). Link doesn’t emote very well but the context is harrowing.

Imagine waking up a century after your own failure caused the death of thousands. Imagine carrying all that on your shoulders, knowing your inability to act meant innocents had to die, knights had to fall (including your own father and many honorable comrades). The dread you felt when, just as you were so close to victory, with thoughts of hope for a new future, Ganon turns your entire army against you. The loss of Mipha, the girl who loved you, her unrequited love poured into a beautiful piece of craftsmanship that you wear to save her people, only to have it all sting that much harder when you see her again, dead and forever gone from this world, unable to be with you. Knowing that the champions who placed their faith in you will never live again, confined to their mechanical tombs, still honoring their duty when they have every right to be furious that you, out of each of them, are lucky enough to continue to live a real life.

And finally, the urgency and sense of panic in knowing the only person still alive who you might care about, Zelda, has been holding back an unspeakable force of evil for a century and is days away from death.

The boy chosen by the sword to seal away the darkness, and in Hyrule’s eleventh hour, you were sent away to rest and heal. You did all you could, sure – but deep down that just makes it worse. You’re not enough. And now you have to make it right. Can you? Doesn’t matter. You must – but that doesn’t make the burden of the past easier to bear.

BOTW could've been sad if they did it right, not that I'm saying it takes away from the game itself. But the atmosphere is just too light for it to be a sad game and all the major cities are living pretty fine when it comes down to it. Almost every character in MM has their own personal issues they are dealing with and on top of that they gotta think about dying soon. The saddest part to me in MM is just the fact that Link is depressed for literally the whole game. He had already become a Hero and legend but the only thing he had to defeat was his loss for Navi. Regardless of if Navi is annoying or not, it's how much Link is crushed after losing her is what's sad. No matter where he goes or how far he gets, he's never gonna see her again. Even with his legendary status he could care less because in the end all he wants is his dear friend back. Yeah, it's not even close. I see MM as the one game in the series where Link not only has to save others but also has to save himself.
OOTs Forest Temple is the best Zelda dungeon.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Cubis101

Cubis101
1 week ago#9
MM was by far the saddest one. LA is easily a 2nd, the rest is up for debate.
GT, PSN, Switch, & Steam: Cubis101
Currently Playing Splatoon 2, Hyrule Warriors: DE, Okami HD, Hollow Knight, Puzzle Pirates

User Info: St_Juttemis

St_Juttemis
1 week ago#10
LA to me, the whole island just dissapearing as it was just a dream is quite a moment.
I do have to say I never finished MM (I never got further than the second dungeon) so that one mihgt take the cake if I played it.
I just found the entire game very boring even after trying to play it several times at different moments in my life (from right after its release to a year ago).
I find its pacing to be terrible and can hardly make it to the first dungeon these days before being done with it.
You only got a ghost of a chance, my brother...
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. What is the saddest Zelda game for you? (Spoilers for entire series)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.