• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Ancient cores and Giant Ancient Cores

User Info: str2012

str2012
2 years ago#1
I saw some guy in a video say that you cannot get cores from killing guardians. I wanted to let those of you who don't know or haven't seen it yet know that while farming Guardians, I have gotten both Ancient and Giant Ancient cores to drop from destroying them. Of course the Giant cores are far more rare and I have only gotten a couple this way, but the regular Ancient cores are not that hard to get. I've even had one Guardian drop 2 Ancient cores at once.

If this is common knowledge I apologize, but I wanted to set the record straight for those who might not know.

User Info: snake_5036

snake_5036
2 years ago#2
Decayed guardians don't drop them, but stalkers, skywatchers, and turrets (or whatever the non-decayed variants are called) drop them, for anyone who is curious.
You felt your sins weighing down on your neck.

User Info: Flash2Beasley

Flash2Beasley
2 years ago#3
Yup this is probably known by a lot of us but still good info. Kind of annoying that my favorite two ancient pieces (the bow and shield) both require the giant cores, since there's no reliable way to farm them. The drop rate seems abysmal, I think out of 200+ guardians/skywatchers/turrets I've only ever seen 3-4 drop at most.

User Info: Lacrosse252

Lacrosse252
2 years ago#4
I would not recommend spending Giant Cores on building an ancient shield. The best way to farm thise IMO is the Test of Strength shrines. They can be replayed every Blood Moon. The one in the farthest NW point of the map is a Major Test of Strength that drops Ancient Shield++ over and over again. There are other Major Tests of Strength that drop Ancient Sword++, Ancient Spear++, and Ancient Battle Axe++. The one SE corner of the map near the island that takes your inventory comes to mind.

I need 2 more Giant Ancient Cores to finish upgrading my Ancient Armor to the max. Very happy to hear they do eventually drop from Guardians.
I think the flying type drop the best stuff, then stalkers, then turrets, then decayed but correct me if I'm wrong.

User Info: Syd_CB

Syd_CB
2 years ago#5
Lacrosse252 posted...
I would not recommend spending Giant Cores on building an ancient shield. The best way to farm thise IMO is the Test of Strength shrines. They can be replayed every Blood Moon. The one in the farthest NW point of the map is a Major Test of Strength that drops Ancient Shield++ over and over again. There are other Major Tests of Strength that drop Ancient Sword++, Ancient Spear++, and Ancient Battle Axe++. The one SE corner of the map near the island that takes your inventory comes to mind.

FYI, the Guardian level stuff that the tests of strength Guardian Scouts drop is different from the Ancient level stuff you can make at the Akkala lab. Ancient level stuff has higher durability.

The guardian scouts drop Guardian Shields, Guardian Swords and Guardian Spears.
Ancient Battle Axes (which the Guardians drop) are still Guardian level weapons, it's a weird naming error.
http://figmentofreality.deviantart.com/
NNID: SamCarterX206 FC: 4141-3086-2329 FS: Norm w/ Eevee,Aipom,Audino

User Info: Orange_Apples

Orange_Apples
2 years ago#6
Flash2Beasley posted...
Yup this is probably known by a lot of us but still good info. Kind of annoying that my favorite two ancient pieces (the bow and shield) both require the giant cores, since there's no reliable way to farm them. The drop rate seems abysmal, I think out of 200+ guardians/skywatchers/turrets I've only ever seen 3-4 drop at most.

Funny. When I was upgrading the ancient set I had cleared Hyrule Field of Stalkers and didn't get a single Ancient Core. Got a few giant cores though. I had to go farm inside Hyrule Castle.
Steam, Origin, PSN, NNID: Orange_Apples787, XBL: orangeapples787, 3DS FC: 2578-3277-9760
"All video games are stupid, of course." - Polygon

User Info: Lacrosse252

Lacrosse252
2 years ago#7
Syd_CB posted...
Lacrosse252 posted...

FYI, the Guardian level stuff that the tests of strength Guardian Scouts drop is different from the Ancient level stuff you can make at the Akkala lab. Ancient level stuff has higher durability.

The guardian scouts drop Guardian Shields, Guardian Swords and Guardian Spears.
Ancient Battle Axes (which the Guardians drop) are still Guardian level weapons, it's a weird naming error.

I appreciate this info but am now thoroughly confused lol. It sounds like there is a big difference between the stuff you can get from shrines, and the stuff you build in Akkala. Shrine stuff= GUARDIAN gear, and Akkala stuff= ANCIENT gear (though the axes are mistakenly named Ancient lol)?? Is this correct?

I find the ancient arrows incredibly useful but have not built an ancient bow. I have many Savage Lynel bows and keep a Golden bow and Phrenic bow for distance. Is the Ancient Bow worth a giant core?

Thanks!

User Info: daniel1232323

daniel1232323
2 years ago#8
I've never found a giant ancient core from killing them. Only in shrines. I need more of those
you want mother in america? don't you know? it doesn't exist.

User Info: EarthViper

EarthViper
2 years ago#9
First Stalker I ever killed dropped a Giant Core. I was pretty excited, thinking it would be easy to farm all I'd ever need.

I think it took about 30 more to get a second one.
"Tingle, Tingle! Kooloo-Limpah! ...These are the magic words that Tingle created himself. Don't steal them!"

User Info: DrWho2000

DrWho2000
2 years ago#10
I've been doing some farming and I estimate obtaining maybe 18 regular cores vs. 2 giant cores. This was with attacking Stalkers near Hyrule castle on a few occasions.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Ancient cores and Giant Ancient Cores
  • Topic Archived