• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Do you honestly rate BOTW and SMO that highly?

User Info: juzzieb

juzzieb
1 week ago#1
Topic - Results (174 votes)
Yes
64.94% (113 votes)
No
35.06% (61 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Please be honest!

When BOTW first came out I was pretty amazed but when I tried to replay it, it wasn't nearly as much fun as I expected. I respect the world design is pretty amazing, with puzzles seamlessly intertwined within the world and the detail of the world is quite beautiful but after that the games has a lot of flaws. Combat is like a crappy souls clone with limited enemy design, the main story content is actually pretty limited, a lot of the side content is also awful like finding the seeds and a lot of the side quests. On top of everything, the weapon durability is such a horrible mechanic.

It's still a good game don't get me wrong but I don't see it as a top 10 of the generation for me.

SMO on the other hand, I am still equally as impressed with the game today as when it launched, It's a really good game. But it's not quite something that stands out as the best of the generation. It just doesn't have deep enough gameplay, no story and the world just doesn't immerse me like in other games.

This topic is not asking if you like the games, I enjoy both games quite a lot. Just asking if you are still sold on the point that they are 2 of the best games of all time.

User Info: HValle

HValle
1 week ago#2
Yes for SMO, no for BTOW as well
The C is for Courage, just another word for brave
O! Oh my god, what a very handsome knaive

User Info: Testa-Rossa

Testa-Rossa
1 week ago#3
Do you seriously have to make topics at all?

User Info: Stooge1969

Stooge1969
1 week ago#4
Super Mario Odyssey is basic trash

User Info: NeoBowser

NeoBowser
1 week ago#5
yes to botw, no to odyssey
I'm feeling myself, I'm feeling myself, I'm feeling my feeling my'

User Info: Judgment100

Judgment100
1 week ago#6
I give BotW a solid 7.5 and SMO a solid 8 on my scale. Maybe an 8.5?

They were both very good games. BotW I think has some major, major design flaws (lack of dungeons, loss of items like hookshot, weapon durability needing rebalanced, enemy variety is bad) but as a physics engine and world it's very cool. SMO was a fun Mario game in the vein of SM64/Sunshine, something I've been wanting for ages. It did good, but didn't in my opinion take very many risks like BotW did. I think in this particular instance, I liked SMO's safer approach over BotW's more 'wild' (haha) approach, but I do wish SMO had done a little more. Maybe less moons but better puzzles? I felt like there were a few too many.
Blinding my sight in a curtain of red, frustration is getting bigger.
Delivering judgment since 2007. No tricks, no gimmicks.

User Info: trenken

trenken
1 week ago#7
Yes for BOTW. No, it wasnt anything new for gaming, but it was new for 3D Zelda, and I enjoyed the hell out of it, even with the complaints that I had about it (lack of dungeons, dungeon themes, unique dungeon bosses, and enemy variety).

SMO made no impact for me. Aside from the cappy gimmich which I liked, the rest of the game screamed average to me. Average worlds, average bosses, average music...
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// PS3 | CygnusZero
XB1 | CygnusZero4790

User Info: Atreides27

Atreides27
1 week ago#8
For me personally, BotW is one of the best video game experiences I've ever had. Does it have its flaws? Yeah for sure. Poor enemy variety, lack of differing aesthetic themes in Shrines and DB's, and rain climbing can be a real b****. There are other flaws as well, one of my most hated is the FPS drops (more so closer to launch). Others hate weapon durability and the lack of traditional dungeons and items (valid criticisms for the most part, though I see them as non-issues). Regardless of that, the experience that they deliver is so amazing to me that the flaws are not a big deal. I absolutely love the game and it's one of my favourites. Hoping the sequel will be even better!

SMO is an excellent game as well. It was an absolute blast the whole way through. I think it's very creative. It's just not one of the best of all time in my opinion.

I think that's the thing about this... it's all opinion based.
"Did you just pooter me?"
- OnettsOwn

User Info: Judgment100

Judgment100
1 week ago#9
Atreides27 posted...
I agree with Atreides.

Some people will like the direction BotW took, some won't. Some people will like that we got another 3D Mario game instead of focusing on the 2D platforming, some won't.
Blinding my sight in a curtain of red, frustration is getting bigger.
Delivering judgment since 2007. No tricks, no gimmicks.

User Info: juzzieb

juzzieb
1 week ago#10
Atreides27 posted...
For me personally, BotW is one of the best video game experiences I've ever had. Does it have its flaws? Yeah for sure. Poor enemy variety, lack of differing aesthetic themes in Shrines and DB's, and rain climbing can be a real b****. There are other flaws as well, one of my most hated is the FPS drops (more so closer to launch). Others hate weapon durability and the lack of traditional dungeons and items (valid criticisms for the most part, though I see them as non-issues). Regardless of that, the experience that they deliver is so amazing to me that the flaws are not a big deal. I absolutely love the game and it's one of my favourites. Hoping the sequel will be even better!

SMO is an excellent game as well. It was an absolute blast the whole way through. I think it's very creative. It's just not one of the best of all time in my opinion.

Well this topic isn't asking if they are good games, it's asking if you think they are one of the best of all time. Seems you agree with me on SMO but not BOTW. Fair enough... I should have made a middle option for the poll.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Do you honestly rate BOTW and SMO that highly?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers