• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. "Pokemon Home is a paid service"
meiyuki posted...
They do check for hacks in all competitive play. When you go to battle online the game checks your team against the pokemon database. It makes sure IVs are between 0 and 31 on all stats, EVs pass all proper checks, every move on the pokemon is legal, and that the pokemon's ability is legit. Literally the only difference between a hacked and non-hacked pokemon is how long it took a person to acquire it.

This goes for pretty much everyone but you do realize they do hack checks in competitive modes and make sure all pokemon are legit?
My understanding is some players differentiate between legal and legit. The competitive checks are for legality - it won’t tell the difference between a shiny hatched after 1200 eggs and a hacked shiny with every other value equal. Your comments about hacked Pokémon would fall under the former but not the latter. Some players don’t want mons that are just legal - and that’s their prerogative.
NS FC: SW-6739-0520-9699/PSN: freedumbdclxvi/Go:9267 2163 5632/IGN:Omega

User Info: AzaneAzer

AzaneAzer
3 days ago#362
metaphysician posted...
That would only prevent impossible pokemon, it would do nothing to prevent people from cheating up fake but legal pokemon.

I gave up the fight that hacked pokemon with legit stats were cheating a long time ago, and just accepted that people will cheat within the rules, especially in cases like this where it makes the game better.

User Info: meiyuki

meiyuki
3 days ago#363
AzaneAzer posted...
I gave up the fight that hacked pokemon with legit stats were cheating a long time ago, and just accepted that people will cheat within the rules, especially in cases like this where it makes the game better.

Well the main thing about that is it doesn't make a difference. IVs are all that you hack for and even in the earliest days of IVs you could control 3 of them. That meant you always had your main stats maxed. The only difference is non-hacked pokemon would have attackers with defense/sp.defense IVs around the low 20's most likely, and defensive pokemon with attack/sp. attack and speed in the low 20's. That means an attacker would have a difference in defense and sp. defense of about 5-10 points. For most pokemon it doesn't matter anyway because won't survive those hits even with the extra defense. If a match really did come down to a few points of defense it might as well just be chalked up to a critical hit or a miss on a 90% attack.

People love to make excuses in any competitive game as to why it's the whole world's fault they lost and not anything they did. hacked pokemon just provide a convenient scapegoat no matter how irrelevant it actually is. And if you're wondering I've never used hacks and regularly manage to breed teams where every pokemon has multiple perfect IVs and 20's in the non-perfect ones. Once you understand the breeding system it's not difficult at all.
meiyuki posted...
Well the main thing about that is it doesn't make a difference. IVs are all that you hack for and even in the earliest days of IVs you could control 3 of them. That meant you always had your main stats maxed. The only difference is non-hacked pokemon would have attackers with defense/sp.defense IVs around the low 20's most likely, and defensive pokemon with attack/sp. attack and speed in the low 20's. That means an attacker would have a difference in defense and sp. defense of about 5-10 points. For most pokemon it doesn't matter anyway because won't survive those hits even with the extra defense. If a match really did come down to a few points of defense it might as well just be chalked up to a critical hit or a miss on a 90% attack.

People love to make excuses in any competitive game as to why it's the whole world's fault they lost and not anything they did. hacked pokemon just provide a convenient scapegoat no matter how irrelevant it actually is. And if you're wondering I've never used hacks and regularly manage to breed teams where every pokemon has multiple perfect IVs and 20's in the non-perfect ones. Once you understand the breeding system it's not difficult at all.

Breeding Legendarys is the hardest thing to do.
---------------------------------------------------------
Switch Friend Code - SW-7173-9981-4996

User Info: SS2Matt

SS2Matt
3 days ago#365
Em_Jay_Dee posted...
I know right? Who do they think they are? Some sort of business?! They're supposed to be my friend!

That doesn't defend this decision and you know it.
"You truly are the Lord of the Rings" - Frildo Boggins

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
3 days ago#366
SS2Matt posted...
That doesn't defend this decision and you know it.
“I say it should have been free” doesn’t condemn it, either. Literally no one has given a reason other than “I said so” why it should be free.
3DS: 4871-6557-4900 | Switch: SW-7875-2425-7203
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Nifterific | XBL / PSN: Nifterific | NNID: n00bsaib0t

User Info: Sailor_Razor

Sailor_Razor
3 days ago#367
Plus, if "CORPORATIONS EXIST TO MAKE MONEY YOU GUYS!" were a Get Out of Jail Free Card to do anything to make a buck, I don't think paid lootboxes would've gotten into the hot water that they did.

For the online play, because the PC market, which is a direct competitor no matter what you say, offers a superior experience without a subscription?

For the Pokémon storage/transferring, because there's no valid reason to hide something behind a subscription when itcwould be completely functional without a server?

It's not that Home shouldn't require a subscription, it's that there should be an alternative that doesn't. Same as there should've f***ing been for transferring, hiding something that you could previously do with s*** you've already got laying around behind a subscription is bulls*** and everyone knows it.

User Info: omniryu

omniryu
3 days ago#368
Sailor_Razor posted...
Plus, if "CORPORATIONS EXIST TO MAKE MONEY YOU GUYS!" were a Get Out of Jail Free Card to do anything to make a buck, I don't think paid lootboxes would've gotten into the hot water that they did.

For the online play, because the PC market, which is a direct competitor no matter what you say, offers a superior experience without a subscription?

For the Pokémon storage/transferring, because there's no valid reason to hide something behind a subscription when itcwould be completely functional without a server?

It's not that Home shouldn't require a subscription, it's that there should be an alternative that doesn't. Same as there should've f***ing been for transferring, hiding something that you could previously do with s*** you've already got laying around behind a subscription is bulls*** and everyone knows it.
So you're entitled to corporate decisions? While you're at it. I want the transfer pak to have an adapter to the switch so I can play old Gameboy games.
PSN/XBL: OMNIRYU
Switch FC: 5419 6809 0486

User Info: AkaneJones

AkaneJones
3 days ago#369
Srheeropercent posted...
Breeding Legendarys is the hardest thing to do.
Outside of Phoine you can't do that. The player has to save scum, and GameFreak removed the Shiny potential on most, to makes those only legit through events. But really who cares if the player Saved Scumed up their perfect IV/Nature Legendary versus hacked them up. And yes that applies to event Pokemon via Mystery Gift, they are just more time constrained on setting the game up where they can reset if its crap. I mean they need to reset the save in full, and get to a point they can receive the gift over and over at worst.

Boohoo It came from hacker or some speed-runner that knew the fastest way to reach a Legenadary, versus Mr. slowpoke that played through the game slowly to get the pokemon save scummed. Really it makes no difference, and that speed-runner's is also legit too. They can just save scum a legendary in about the time it takes to Egg breed, for a normal person(or faster if they calculate the time it took to get the Dittos on hand in).

User Info: Jinzo 111887

Jinzo 111887
3 days ago#370
n00bsaib0t posted...
“I say it should have been free” doesn’t condemn it, either. Literally no one has given a reason other than “I said so” why it should be free.
For third party games, they're not hosting the online servers. It's developers paying for that. This means Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft charging for online play is similar to selling reproduction cartridges, which is a form of piracy. Do you endorse piracy when one of those three companies do it?

Anyway, I've sources on this kind of thing, but the biggest one is Tim Sweeney. Seeing as he's in charge of running Fortnite, has bought out the developer of Rocket League, and has his own store front, I'd imagine he'd know about this, but if you have any doubts feel free to get a hold of him on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1211177373212856320
Putting basic functionality of a system like online multiplayer and the ability to back up data behind a premium membership shows little faith in it.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. "Pokemon Home is a paid service"
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers