• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Is the Switch supposed to drain battery while in Sleep Mode?

User Info: MarquisOndore

MarquisOndore
1 year ago#1
Tonight I left my Switch off the charger for ~12 hours or so and the battery went all the way from 100% to about 25%. Is this normal behaviour?
Capt. Basch fon Ronsenburg, for Incitement of Sedition and the Assassination of H.R.M. King Raminas, has been found Guilty of High Treason and put to his Death.

User Info: Onipaladin

Onipaladin
1 year ago#2
Rrom 100 to 25 definitely not. It does drain but very slowly.

Could be the battery deteriorated or a game that still keeps the switch running.
All Lives can't matter until Black Lives Matter.

User Info: RennanNT

RennanNT
1 year ago#3
It's normal if it auto-update is on and either your connection is slow or many games were updated at once.

Try putting it on airplane mode or turning off automatic updates and check if it still happens. If it does, then there's something wrong.

User Info: DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM
1 year ago#4
MarquisOndore posted...
Tonight I left my Switch off the charger for ~12 hours or so and the battery went all the way from 100% to about 25%. Is this normal behaviour?
No, unless something like an ethernet adapter is plugged in instead of the charger straight into the Switch.
You know, fish can hear you thinking just before you sneeze...

User Info: supremeblaster

supremeblaster
1 year ago#5
i believe it can happen if your joycons are a little f***ed up. joycons charge themselves through taking juice from the switch itself, so if your joycon has charging/connectivity issues it can cause fast drain on the switch
I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero. I have always only fought for the people I believe in. ~Zero

User Info: kidrobot

kidrobot
1 year ago#6
yes its supposed to drain some battery
BUT not that much

it should only be like 10% overnight with no downloads

User Info: pikachupwnage

pikachupwnage
1 year ago#7
Yes but at a much slower rate then that normally.
My Mario Maker 2 Maker ID is J2K-RFD-K4G Even In sigs FOE!
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/665/328/d75.gif

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
1 year ago#8
My guess is your just hitting the power button on the top and having your screen go off. Doing that is not sleep mode and any game that might be running will still be taking almost all the power it would if you hadn't used just the power button.
For sleep mode you need to go to the main Switch menu and pick sleep mode from there. I also recommend that you save your game and exit it before using sleep mode.
The best way to not lose any power is to hold the power button on the top until it goes off. This takes about 10 to 15 seconds. When you do this it is important to not plug any power into the Switch, since that wakes up the Switch.
MB Asus Prime Z590-p, i7-11700k, RTX 3070, 32GB, 1TB NVMe M.2, 4TB WD Black Drive

User Info: YAMBAG84

YAMBAG84
1 year ago#9
I had just discovered months ago that the joy-cons only charge when in sleep mode (which is dumb), that's how much I've used them.
That's what she said. Sorry, no niche/personal interest/living in your own bubble kind of quote.

User Info: DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM
1 year ago#10
Playsaver posted...
My guess is your just hitting the power button on the top and having your screen go off. Doing that is not sleep mode and any game that might be running will still be taking almost all the power it would if you hadn't used just the power button.
For sleep mode you need to go to the main Switch menu and pick sleep mode from there. I also recommend that you save your game and exit it before using sleep mode.
The best way to not lose any power is to hold the power button on the top until it goes off. This takes about 10 to 15 seconds. When you do this it is important to not plug any power into the Switch, since that wakes up the Switch.
Eh, the button does put the system to sleep, not just turns off the screen. And holding the button down for 10-15 seconds forces a complete shutdown. Plugging it in to charge at that point will turn on the screen to show an icon that says it is charging, but the screen will turn off a few seconds later. When completely off, the Switch will not boot up (even when plugged in) until you press the power button again.
You know, fish can hear you thinking just before you sneeze...
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Is the Switch supposed to drain battery while in Sleep Mode?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A