• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Man, the hit detection on Trials Of Mana is abysmal

User Info: WoIverine

WoIverine
1 week ago#1
I started with Kevin and it’s really difficult to smack enemies around. He’s like, awkward and has an odd hit box. Is hit detection any easier with the others?
SNIKT

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
1 week ago#2
I was about to ask "how have you played the new one?" when I remembered that SD3 is called that now.

Anyway, just be directly touching whatever you're trying to hit. I doubt this game really has hitboxes.
https://gababoutgames.blogspot.com/ - GAB About Games, a retro console rating project, N64 / PS1 on now
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery

User Info: cador

cador
1 week ago#3
Its not a true arpg much like diablo. Hitting enemies is dependent on stats, not distance and positioning.
"Corn-cob-man? There's a lot of sick people in this town."- Red Guy

User Info: nephalim

nephalim
1 week ago#4
WoIverine posted...
I started with Kevin and it’s really difficult to smack enemies around. He’s like, awkward and has an odd hit box. Is hit detection any easier with the others?

Its an RPG, he is missing because he is too low level. The action mechanics are really dated.
HP Pavilion 15t | i7-8750h 2.2-4.1ghz | GTX 1060 3GB (Max-Q) 128GB PCIe SSD NVMe + 1TB 7200RPM SATA | 1080P@144hz IPS +||+ Nintendo Switch

User Info: AkaneJones

AkaneJones
1 week ago#5
nephalim posted...
WoIverine posted...

Its an RPG, he is missing because he is too low level. The action mechanics are really dated.

Actually a better explanation is the Mana series has an evade stat that actually does something. In this case the enemies are evading your attacks because you own hit % does not out way their evade. Technically speaking they should have a sort of dodge animation, but limitation on animation tend to just display "Miss" on attacks, well at the very leased Secret of Mana did. It does use the automated character dodge animation for it too, just enemies have more limited sprites.

I'm not sure why people can't figure that out going back to these games. It's actually more advanced than a game Link to the Past or Soul Blazer games. There is a dodge option for character and enemies a like. It's just an automated process based on stats. It's simply a middle ground between player driven dodge and only being able to move out of the way with normal movement.

User Info: nonexistinghero

nonexistinghero
1 week ago#6
It has to do with exposure. Someone who barely played any games will struggle with dual-analog controls that we see in every fps and tps these days. It's not quite as intuitive as many like to think.

If someone's only been exposed to action-RPG combat where hits directly affect your characters and vice verse, then they're not going to grasp the kind of system that Trials of Mana uses very quickly, since you need to understand that what you see happening on the screen is not necessarily what's truly happening.
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
1 week ago#7
AkaneJones posted...
Actually a better explanation is the Mana series has an evade stat that actually does something

It's ironic that you posted this, because the hit and evade stats in Trials of Mana are bugged and do nothing. The entire Dex stat is completely valueless, as are all buffs that effect hit / evade rates.

Enemies do have a base evasion rate, but there's nothing you can do to increase your chances of hitting them. Critical hits are similarly bugged and never occur, making Luk and anything that raises Critical rate equally valueless.

Hit, Evade, and Critical all work properly in Secret of Mana, however.
https://gababoutgames.blogspot.com/ - GAB About Games, a retro console rating project, N64 / PS1 on now
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery

User Info: ChaoticNeutral

ChaoticNeutral
1 week ago#8
AkaneJones posted...
Actually a better explanation is the Mana series has an evade stat that actually does something. In this case the enemies are evading your attacks because you own hit % does not out way their evade. Technically speaking they should have a sort of dodge animation, but limitation on animation tend to just display "Miss" on attacks, well at the very leased Secret of Mana did. It does use the automated character dodge animation for it too, just enemies have more limited sprites.

I'm not sure why people can't figure that out going back to these games. It's actually more advanced than a game Link to the Past or Soul Blazer games. There is a dodge option for character and enemies a like. It's just an automated process based on stats. It's simply a middle ground between player driven dodge and only being able to move out of the way with normal movement.
Is someone going to tell this poor man that those stats have been bugged and don't do s*** in this game since forever?
GT: AncientToaster
#YangGang

User Info: galaxystop

galaxystop
1 week ago#9
ChaoticNeutral posted...
AkaneJones posted...

Is someone going to tell this poor man that those stats have been bugged and don't do s*** in this game since forever?

The guy who posted nine minutes before you.
"Destiny lies in my hands! Stop movement! Galaxy Stop!"

User Info: WoIverine

WoIverine
1 week ago#10
Terotrous posted...
AkaneJones posted...
Actually a better explanation is the Mana series has an evade stat that actually does something

It's ironic that you posted this, because the hit and evade stats in Trials of Mana are bugged and do nothing. The entire Dex stat is completely valueless, as are all buffs that effect hit / evade rates.

Enemies do have a base evasion rate, but there's nothing you can do to increase your chances of hitting them. Critical hits are similarly bugged and never occur, making Luk and anything that raises Critical rate equally valueless.

Hit, Evade, and Critical all work properly in Secret of Mana, however.
And I’m guessing Square didn’t update them for the rerelease?
SNIKT
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Man, the hit detection on Trials Of Mana is abysmal
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers