• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Doom. Thumbs up or thumbs down?

User Info: Awesomov

Awesomov
1 week ago#21
Layton_Kyouju posted...
You spend most of the time doing cover and shooting, your life auto regenerates, you have a radio buddy/marine buddies talking to you all the time and you can only carry 2 guns at a time?
Not all modern FPS games do that. Nice try, though.

User Info: nonexistinghero

nonexistinghero
1 week ago#22
It's an amazing game, but the Switch version runs at 30 fps and looks significantly worse than all of the other versions. It does have gyro controls though.

If it's your only way to play it, get the Switch version. If you have any other system that also has the game or a somewhat capable gaming PC, get that version.

Awesomov posted...
Not a fan of the new one. Don't see why everyone likes it so much. I feel like the only reason it's gotten such attention and acclaim even is it has "DOOM" slapped on it, otherwise feels like any other recently-made generic first-person shooter.

Either you haven't played the new DOOM or you haven't played any other FPS made in the past decade. Because it's literally pretty much nothing like most of them.

Awesomov posted...
Not all modern FPS games do that. Nice try, though.

Most modern fps are slow-paced crawls through extremely linear areas. And you barely even leave the ground. Quite a far cry from Doom with it's open areas, tons of verticality, movement options, high speed and combat that actually encourages running and jumping around like an absolute mad lad while constantly switching weapons, adjusting tactics on the fly and figuring out whether it's best to wreck your enemy from up close or keep your distance. There's a ton of secrets to find that really showcase the amazing map design if you're willing to search around. I do suppose it can take up quite a bit of time because of how well-hidden they are, but the original games were no different. I remember spending a ton of time searching every nook & cranny for hidden switches, doors and the like. And there's also a few boss battles. Real boss battles that feel like proper bosses. None of the usual fps garbage boss crap.
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.

Awesomov
1 week ago#23
nonexistinghero posted...
Either you haven't played the new DOOM or you haven't played any other FPS made in the past decade. Because it's literally pretty much nothing like most of them.

Most modern fps are slow-paced crawls through extremely linear areas. And you barely even leave the ground. Quite a far cry from Doom with it's open areas, tons of verticality, movement options, high speed and combat that actually encourages running and jumping around like an absolute mad lad while constantly switching weapons, adjusting tactics on the fly and figuring out whether it's best to wreck your enemy from up close or keep your distance. There's a ton of secrets to find that really showcase the amazing map design if you're willing to search around. I do suppose it can take up quite a bit of time because of how well-hidden they are, but the original games were no different. I remember spending a ton of time searching every nook & cranny for hidden switches, doors and the like. And there's also a few boss battles. Real boss battles that feel like proper bosses. None of the usual fps garbage boss crap.
I've played tons, especially through the largest glut the genre had. I'm still not seeing how it's so special, you're not saying anything that hasn't been said to me before about it and I've played through it enough to know what you're talking about anyway. Instead of assuming I have and accepting that, y'all are tryin' to convince me of what I've already seen and have a pretty slim view of modern shooters to boot since I ain't just referrin' to other AAA games like Call of Duty and Halo here, ya know; there's tons and tons of FPS games out there. I know what the new Doom is like, and I still stand by what I said. It's a decent, but generic, game with "DOOM" slapped on it, and I see why people like it, but I don't see why it's so special.

(I agree, BTW, that Doom is definitely better than the likes of Call of Duty, but that's unfortunately not a high bar to leap over to begin with)

User Info: 2manymonikers

2manymonikers
1 week ago#24
Awesomov posted...
Not a fan of the new one. Don't see why everyone likes it so much. I feel like the only reason it's gotten such attention and acclaim even is it has "DOOM" slapped on it, otherwise feels like any other recently-made generic first-person shooter.

It doesnt feel anywhere close to your typical first-person shooter. Unless you are only considering them all similar cause you shoot guns.
Sign here please

User Info: Esticamelapixa

Esticamelapixa
1 week ago#25
Awesomov posted...

Doom has nothing to do with other "generic" shooters. People should really stop calling "generic" to shooters just because they're shooters.

User Info: 2manymonikers

2manymonikers
1 week ago#26
Awesomov posted...
I've played tons, especially through the largest glut the genre had. I'm still not seeing how it's so special, you're not saying anything that hasn't been said to me before about it and I've played through it enough to know what you're talking about anyway. Instead of assuming I have and accepting that, y'all are tryin' to convince me of what I've already seen and have a pretty slim view of modern shooters to boot since I ain't just referrin' to other AAA games like Call of Duty and Halo here, ya know; there's tons and tons of FPS games out there. I know what the new Doom is like, and I still stand by what I said. It's a decent, but generic, game with "DOOM" slapped on it, and I see why people like it, but I don't see why it's so special.

(I agree, BTW, that Doom is definitely better than the likes of Call of Duty, but that's unfortunately not a high bar to leap over to begin with)

All the reasons he listed are exactly why Doom is not generic as you claimed. In fact Doom is very much the antithesis of your typical current gen fps game. Im surprised you couldn't tell that upon playing it especially considering your experience with fps games.
Sign here please

User Info: MarioBro88

MarioBro88
1 week ago#27
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/0/2/8/AAcpnPAAABt0.jpg
Switch: SW-1543-6664-2124
PSN and Xbox: MacyG88

User Info: BahamutBBob

BahamutBBob
1 week ago#28
It's fine. I didn't finish it. I really enjoyed Doom and Doom II in my youth, and 2016 sort of but not really recaptured that. I played it on Xbox, not Switch, so I can't comment on the Switch version.

Awesomov
1 week ago#29
2manymonikers posted...
All the reasons he listed are exactly why Doom is not generic as you claimed. In fact Doom is very much the antithesis of your typical current gen fps game. Im surprised you couldn't tell that upon playing it especially considering your experience with fps games.
I "couldn't tell" because nothing new or fresh was listed in that entire paragraph lol.

User Info: Xx_King_Beef_xX

Xx_King_Beef_xX
1 week ago#30
As much as I love the game, I would only recommend the Switch version if you can’t play it any other way or if you just want a handheld version and have the Split Pad Pro.

I mainly bought it on the Switch at release just for handheld mode since I already own it for my Xbox One X and it is a huge downgrade while trying to play it on the TV. I also found that trying to play it with the tiny joysticks and buttons on the joy-cons in handheld mode just never felt right to me, so I could never get into it. Then I bought the Split Pad Pro and tried it again. The regular sized sticks and buttons made a world of difference and actually made handheld mode on the Switch my preferred way to play the game.

I like to dissect girls. Did you know I'm utterly insane?
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Doom. Thumbs up or thumbs down?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers