• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. PSA: A 7/10 is a good score

User Info: BanjoDude98

BanjoDude98
1 month ago#1
Games are scored on a linear scale. It isn't like a school grade, where a 6 or less is an F and anything below that is basically the same.

They wouldn't make a 5 a 1, where a 1 means the game is literally unplayable due to technical issues.

A 7/10 is like a C-. You may like it, if you are a fan of whatever niche it is in, but objectively it is not a bad game.

Reading the reviews might help, if you think a 7/10 somehow indicates the game is bad. Because that is not what any reviewer is intending.

And it is not entitled to want a game to be excellent. We are spending a LOT of money on them, after all. Virtually no one is giving them away for free.

Hope this helps.
"The way you type reminds me of someone who would eat meat." - Retrowire commenting on himself
Please understand Mr. Iwata, you will be dearly missed

User Info: Pupu27

Pupu27
1 month ago#2
A review score is completely depending on the reviewer, there is no universal standard for it. So I agree with TC because a 7/10 score of one reviewer might be the equivalent of 10/10 from another one.
The best video game is the one that hasn't released yet

User Info: zelos71

zelos71
1 month ago#3
How in the world is 7/10 a C- if we're talking about a linear scale? What is 1/10 then? L?

User Info: Faiyez

Faiyez
1 month ago#4
Pupu27 posted...
A review score is completely depending on the reviewer, there is no universal standard for it. So I agree with TC because a 7/10 score of one reviewer might be the equivalent of 10/10 from another one.

5/10 should be average. If you mostly score quality games, your median should be around 7.
I think they've taken the freedom and liberty thing a BIT TOO FAR!
-GlowStormLion on Japan's kinks.

User Info: NNNnobody

NNNnobody
1 month ago#5
It doesn't matter whether 7/10 is good when there is something better you could play instead.
You can call me a fanboy if you feel better then.
The claw is the only true way of camera control.

User Info: WowSoDoge_Amaze

WowSoDoge_Amaze
1 month ago#6
1-5 broken
6 mediocre
7 ok (average / median)
8-10 probably pretty good but still subjective

User Info: Twintellyamama

Twintellyamama
1 month ago#7
WowSoDoge_Amaze posted...
1-5 broken
6 mediocre
7 ok (average / median)

Came to say this.

There is no score system today that takes into account 0-5 all of them are out of five so a 6 is a 1, 6.5 is a 2 and a 7 is 3 out of 5.
Oof my legs

User Info: ai123

ai123
1 month ago#8
Some reviewers use 7/10 to mean 'average', 'mediocre' or 'I don't get it'.

Some reviewers use 7/10 to mean 'good', 'niche' or 'excellent but held back by a few flaws'.

There's no universally accepted standard for what it means, and in any case scores are reductive and subjective. Treat them with the respect and attention they deserve.
'The sprites is ridiculous polygons'
No one remembers what PS2 games looked like, apparently

User Info: delRey91

delRey91
1 month ago#9
Twintellyamama posted...
WowSoDoge_Amaze posted...
1-5 broken
6 mediocre
7 ok (average / median)

Came to say this.

There is no score system today that takes into account 0-5 all of them are out of five so a 6 is a 1, 6.5 is a 2 and a 7 is 3 out of 5.

So is 7 is a 3 out of 5.
Where do u put 8, 9 and 10?
Switch: SW-7403-8982-4310
Steam: Delrey91

User Info: Darc_Noah

Darc_Noah
1 month ago#10
for me any game that average score is less then 7 is not worth my time and if the game is RPG with story score less then 7.5 is not worth it as well
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. PSA: A 7/10 is a good score
  • Topic Archived