• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. So, predictions of "Switch PRO" aimed at hardcore gamers were wrong

User Info: raphaelz

raphaelz
1 month ago#1
Months ago, I told everybody that a Nintendo Switch Mini (Switch Lite as they call it), makes the most financial sense with the huge amount of handheld Pokemon Fans that are on the fence about a 300 USD Hybrid Console.

Non-detachable joycons? Called it.
No HD rumble? Called it.
Smaller screen but longer battery life? Called it.

The only thing I was wrong about was that I still believed that, by buying a separate dock, you could still play games on your TV. But now it seems that you can't, making the whole name "Switch" stupid but whatever.

The point is, Nintendo isn't a company for hardcore gamers. A 350 (or even 400 USD!!!) Switch Pro is never gonna sell as much as a 200 USD Switch Mini.

Plus, Nintendo has NO financial reason to update the current Switch since it is STILL selling like hot cakes.

I can definitely see them doing something to compete with Sony's PS5 and the new XBOX in 2020-2021 (since there's no way third parties will ever be able to port the next gen multi-console games to the current Switch) but yes, the Switch Lite was super predictable for those of us that know where Nintendo priorities are (casual gamers).

I actually predict a completely new Nintendo console for 2020-2021 with 100% retro-compatibility with the Switch (in the same way the Wii was 100% retro-compatible with the GC).

User Info: Megaman Omega

Megaman Omega
1 month ago#2
"Nintendo didn't make a Switch Pro right away, so the only logical conclusion is that there is never going to be an improved Switch"

Although I kind of enjoy the ridiculous drama, it's crazy how those new revisions always get the worst posters out of the woodwork.
"The Switch couldn't handle DooM." - slyman19
"Wolfenstein coming to the Switch? 0% chance." - slyman19

User Info: Jutopero

Jutopero
1 month ago#3
Having in mind that the people saying a Switch pro was coming said it would come in 2020 and were mostly the same people saying a lite switch would come out in 2019 I would just lay back and see what happens.
Nomura you broke my heart, and not in a good way. Waiting for Square Enix to return to what it used to be...
LetsMakeSEGreatAgain

User Info: nowhere2hide

nowhere2hide
1 month ago#4
Megaman Omega posted...
"Nintendo didn't make a Switch Pro right away, so the only logical conclusion is that there is never going to be an improved Switch"

Hindsight is 20/20
notime2spell, ergo time is money
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBUkqUxZ-WcvtYPnDmHIglA

User Info: tylerghost93

tylerghost93
1 month ago#5
There's obviously going to be another revision and it'll likely be some sort of "pro" model. I guess we'll have to wait.

User Info: LuxHeart

LuxHeart
1 month ago#6
You never know, they might make a Switch Pro. After all, Xbox One have the Xbox One S and Xbox One X, while the PS4 has the PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim. It's not stupid at all to think they'll make a Lite and a Pro.

However, gamers here were dumb to believe that they would reveal the Switch Pro before the Switch Lite. The Switch Lite just made sense with the announcement of Pokemon and Animal Crossing, plus Link's Awakening. Very few people care to play Pokemon or Animal Crossing on the Switch Pro. The majority will play on the Lite. Granted, a Switch Pro does make sense with Metroid Prime 4.

User Info: Lord_Mudkip

Lord_Mudkip
1 month ago#7
Ii love the switch lite and how it apeals to people but it kinda takes away what made it unique.
THE LEADER OF THE MUDKIPS, IT IS LORD MUDKIP!!!!! Creater of Wario starts a war. if you want a response, @ me! Subscribe to my friends youtube, Yoyo_kid.

User Info: Dirak

Dirak
1 month ago#8
The thing with the "Pro" is that it can't be that "Pro"

-Better screen, yes.
-Better battery, yes.
-More storage, yes.
-More stable FPS, maybe.

That's pretty much all they can do. Every single game released for it must still be able to run in the Switch Lite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjrQEsqcvpM
Some music goes with everything.

User Info: Zalborn

Zalborn
4 weeks ago#9
Dirak posted...
The thing with the "Pro" is that it can't be that "Pro"

-Better screen, yes.
-Better battery, yes.
-More storage, yes.
-More stable FPS, maybe.

That's pretty much all they can do. Every single game released for it must still be able to run in the Switch Lite.

The N3DS doesn't agree with that statement.

User Info: TankgirlS

TankgirlS
4 weeks ago#10
raphaelz posted...

Plus, Nintendo has NO financial reason to update the current Switch since it is STILL selling like hot cakes.

I made the same predictions, right down to being right about everything except it not being dockable, especially since the Switch mini still has the USBC and output was purely done with software. It took Nintendo more effort to remove the feature than to leave it in. Not sure why they made that decision.

That being said, Nintendo IS upgrading the Switch, it is just not the Pro that was rumored ( again I predicted this as well) but a silent update of the existing Switch with the same chip in the Switch mini.

This is exactly what is happening as Nintendo has already applied with the FCC for the update to be allowed without certification.

The interesting thing is, according to the official Switch OS, this slightly upgraded chip version of the standard Switch will indeed run at higher clockspeeds by default.

The original model is set to MAX77621 PMIC (For GPU and CPU)
The updated version will be set to MAX77812 PMIC (for GPU and CPU)

This is a modest upgrade, but should actually be noticeable in some games.

This is about as close to Pro as we will be seeing any time soon.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. So, predictions of "Switch PRO" aimed at hardcore gamers were wrong
  • Topic Archived