• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Sega Genesis Mini is up for preorder, are you getting one?

User Info: TheCaliNerd

TheCaliNerd
4 weeks ago#71
Master_Materia posted...
I fail to see any appeal of these mini/classic consoles. Genesis was my first console and I liked it a lot back then but I have no desire to own one now. If I wanted to play the games I could always have bought one of the 500 Genesis collections or just get them the way Id imagine 90% of people here have them...

1) Retro microconsoles are future proofed, as they support HDMI output, unlike the original consoles which rely on coaxial input, or RCA inputs. We have reached a point where retailers such as Best Buy sell HDTVs that are technically HD displays, as they do not include a coaxial or RCA inputs. And while I imagine there will be aftermarket accessories in the future to allow people to hook up original consoles to modern televisions and displays, dedicated microconsoles circumvent the issue.

2) If properly curated, retro microconsoles may include games that are difficult to track down, or expensive to buy in their original format. For instance, Mega Man 2 and Legend of Zelda each run about $15 (open copy) on Amazon and eBay, meaning that those two games are half the cost of an entire NES Classic.

3) Retro microconsoles may ship with a game that is otherwise not legally available, e.g. Star Fox 2 for SNES Classic. That game never saw public release, and though the ROM may still be found online, using said ROM is illegal. Conversely, the SNES Classic Edition provides a legal avenue to what was otherwise a lost game.

4) Game collecting has existed for as long as the hobby itself. However, the practice was not as common in the past as it is now. As such, it was common in the 80s and 90s for people to sell their old consoles at a garage sale, or to a game store as part of a trade toward something newer. Much like the case with the comicbook market, people viewed games as disposable, and thus did not often hold onto them the way they do now.

Consequently, anyone interested in repurchasing an older console found themselves faced with collectors prices. Even now, with dedicated retro consoles plentiful on the market, one can easily spend $60 buying a used NES with no games, or buying four of the NES games included with the NES Classic Edition. As such, retro microconsoles provide an affordable means for people to obtain the retro platforms they sold off long ago.

5) For those that want to enjoy the retro experiences of their childhood, but have limited space in their homes, microconsoles are a boon.

6) There are younger games who did not get to experience these games when they were first released, and retro microconsoles allow them to experience these classic games, the same way that children today pickup a copy of The Hobbit, or Earthsea, or The Wizard of Oz despite those books being 50+ years old.
Rolling on d20's, and my lightsaber is lit, O.G. like a PlayStation that's 32-bit.

User Info: TheRushDawg

TheRushDawg
4 weeks ago#72
I am calling it now. The Genesis Mini will be better than the SNES Classic.

Hell yes I am getting one.
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg

User Info: longlivemegaman

longlivemegaman
4 weeks ago#73
This is an absolute yes. It literally has the majority of my childhood favorites already, and there's still 20 to go.

(I even got a pre-order on the Megadrive Mini W, and MUSHA's freaking in there.)
I'm best known as the top player in the world at Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition...

User Info: DarkAscent

DarkAscent
4 weeks ago#74
Nah I already hackchi'd my SNES Mini and put every NES, SNES and Genesis game ROM ever made on it.
No he's okay. He just kicked ass on Double Dragon.

User Info: Kyoshiro12345

Kyoshiro12345
4 weeks ago#75
DarkAscent posted...
Nah I already hackchi'd my SNES Mini and put every NES, SNES and Genesis game ROM ever made on it.

Your parents must be so proud.
Demon EYES Kyo
Kyoshiro Mibu

User Info: Shinobi120

Shinobi120
4 weeks ago#76
Kyoshiro12345 posted...
DarkAscent posted...

Didn't you read what TheCaliNerd said about Retro Microconsoles like that, especially at #2 & #3?
November 8th, 2016 was the day that became a HUGE nightmare for America & the rest of the world once Donald Trump was elected president.

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
4 weeks ago#77
Shinobi120 posted...
Kyoshiro12345 posted...
DarkAscent posted...

Didn't you read what TheCaliNerd said about Retro Microconsoles like that, especially at #2 & #3?

#2 and #3 have nothing to do with piracy.

1) Retro microconsoles are future proofed, as they support HDMI output, unlike the original consoles which rely on coaxial input, or RCA inputs. We have reached a point where retailers such as Best Buy sell HDTVs that are technically HD displays, as they do not include a coaxial or RCA inputs. And while I imagine there will be aftermarket accessories in the future to allow people to hook up original consoles to modern televisions and displays, dedicated microconsoles circumvent the issue.

There are already aftermarket accessories that do it. Tons. You have generic RCA to HDMI adapters, more expensive devices like OSSC and Framemeister, HD Retrovision makes component cables for them, OG Xbox, PS2, and Dreamcast have HDMI cables available, GC has its own HDMI adapter. There are also clone consoles that connect via HDMI, and those work with carts. If you want to mod an existing console pretty much all of them have HDMI mod kits available.
3DS: 4871-6557-4900 | Switch: SW-7875-2425-7203
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Nifterific | XBL / PSN: Nifterific | NNID: n00bsaib0t

User Info: Dirak

Dirak
4 weeks ago#78
No, back then Mexico was an all Nintendo country, I never knew anyone having anything from Sega, so I don't care one bit about them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjrQEsqcvpM
Some music goes with everything.

User Info: FeiBenares

FeiBenares
4 weeks ago#79
Yes, but I will not get it on pre-order.
The Battle Dragon And New York City Pokemon Master
Fanboy - http://tinyurl.com/ar7gbuu, Fanboy Wars- http://tinyurl.com/au4nbkh

User Info: Angel_Arle

Angel_Arle
4 weeks ago#80
No, it doesn't have Puyo Puyo 2 or Madou Monogatari 1 on it like the mega drive mini.
A huge Anime fan, I love Anime like Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth
I'm also dating jkid101094 <3
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Sega Genesis Mini is up for preorder, are you getting one?
  • Topic Archived