• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. You don't truly own digital games.

User Info: Rizeroth

Rizeroth
4 weeks ago#1
https://youtu.be/20OyvcJKdfY

A very interesting video on a topic i feel doesn't get discussed enough, and how companies are slowly gearing us toward digital only because laws don't yet protect us enough there.
I HAVE A PLAN - Dutch Van Der Linde

User Info: Arcanine2009

Arcanine2009
4 weeks ago#2
You don't truly 'own' physical games either.
Less is more. Everything you want, isn't everything you need.

User Info: CrimsonSmasher

CrimsonSmasher
4 weeks ago#3
...Didn’t they literally just make physical Borderlands PC copies unplayable?

User Info: Rizeroth

Rizeroth
4 weeks ago#4
Arcanine2009 posted...

Already addressed in the video. Also, you pay same as physical ones but get less in return. And the video is more about the customer rights loss when you go digital, which ties into why you don't own it.
I HAVE A PLAN - Dutch Van Der Linde

User Info: AlieNinja

AlieNinja
4 weeks ago#5
Rizeroth posted...
Arcanine2009 posted...

Already addressed in the video. Also, you pay same as physical ones but get less in return. And the video is more about the customer rights loss when you go digital, which ties into why you don't own it.

If u read the Terms and Conditions, they have the right to withdraw the game from you if they should wish to and you have no way for a refund or compensation.
Internet summed up in two words: Fake Melodrama

User Info: Blayshy

Blayshy
4 weeks ago#6
AlieNinja posted...
Rizeroth posted...
Arcanine2009 posted...

If u read the Terms and Conditions, they have the right to withdraw the game from you if they should wish to and you have no way for a refund or compensation.

That's only in VERY, VERY rare cases, tho.
I am pretty sure I know what to do now.
-Sonic Mainer (SSB4) / Link Mainer (SSBU). Hyde / Linne main team in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle.

User Info: Atarigamer

Atarigamer
4 weeks ago#7
(repost from your other thread)
Digital games have too many 'issues' for me to use them:-

1: When I pay for a game, I like to get something tangible
2: You never own digital games, at best its long term rental
3: digital prices (not including sales) are absurd. Why on earth would I pay £60 for a new digital game when I can buy a physical version for £39-45?
4: no 'safety net' refund system. PSN/Nintendo need a policy like Steams, refunds are given no questions asked if you've played under 2 hours (heck, even 1 hour would be better than it is now)
5: No lending the game to a friend
6: Looking at the T&C's they have the right to withdraw the game from you if they should wish to and you have no recourse for a refund or compensation.

Until most of these issues are resolved, I'll stay on physical games.
Gamer for life: {PS4 Pro - Switch - Mame Cabinet}

User Info: GeneralFox

GeneralFox
4 weeks ago#8
I feel if companies try to pull that bit where they can just turn off peoples access to games they're going to get hit hard by consumers in the long run. But we'll see....

This will probably make returning broken games more of an issue in the long run though. Which is probably the main reason this is going to be a thing and why retailers who sell games are going to just stop or disappear as well.
Hobbyist Vector Artist

User Info: Towelie1727

Towelie1727
4 weeks ago#9
man this sounds like a post-apocolytic world. Gives me more reason to never go digital unless I absolutely have to.
Don't forget to bring a towel!

User Info: Kyoshiro12345

Kyoshiro12345
4 weeks ago#10
Its all about the digital and no clutter for me. I dont need to loan my games. when my friends want to play they buy their games, I dont associate with cheapos.
I also dont sell my games. way too many master systems /NES/SNES/Genesis/etc games in storage to keep buying clutter.
Demon EYES Kyo
Kyoshiro Mibu
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. You don't truly own digital games.
  • Topic Archived