• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Official Nintendo Pro Controller or PowerA Controller for Nintendo Switch?

User Info: G-Ziss

G-Ziss
1 month ago#1
I want to get a regular controller for my Switch, but I don't know if I should get the official Pro controller by Nintendo or get the much less expensive one made by PowerA.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-pro-wireless-controller-for-nintendo-switch/5748618.p?skuId=5748618

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/powera-controller-for-nintendo-switch-matte-black/6323649.p?skuId=6323649

Does PowerA make reliable products? They seem to have good overall scores on bestbuy.com with a few negative reviews, but so does the official Pro controller.

User Info: Devan2230

Devan2230
1 month ago#2
I use a PowerA GC controller for Smash and at first I didn’t like it but it started growing on me after breaking it in. It doesn’t feel quite like Nintendo standard but it’s decent for what it’s worth. I know this isn’t the exact controller you mentioned, but it’s the closest I had as reference. Lol.

As far as the Pro goes, I own that as well and I honestly use it all the time for anything that isn’t Pokémon LG or Smash. It’s so much better and comfortable than the joycons and that stupid controller thing you get. That thing makes my hands hurt after a while. My only thing with the Pro is it’s price point and I’ve heard some people saying the d-pad is kinda trash.

Don’t know if I helped or not, but here’s my two cents OP.
Currently Playing: The Witcher 3, Nier: A, & SSBU
Currently Anticipating: FE3H, Animal Crossing (Switch)

User Info: ai123

ai123
1 month ago#3
I've got both, and while the Pro is definitely nicer, with a more quality feel, the Power-A is an excellent controller for the price, and would be a fine choice if you wanted to save some money.
'The sprites is ridiculous polygons'

User Info: BenjaMan64

BenjaMan64
1 month ago#4
Power A works well, but it doesn't have rumble, amiibo scanner or motion controls. That may hamper your experience in some games, such as in some Breath of the Wild shrines, where motion controls are required, or when in Super Mario Odyssey you locate Power Moons with the rumble.
Check yourselves for Hepatitis C. By the time symptoms show up, it may be too late to prevent permanent damage.
Rest in peace, Mom. 12/08/1947-11/10/2018.

User Info: ELY_M

ELY_M
1 month ago#5
No amiibo support in powerA or 3rd party controllers.

if you use amiibos. go for Pro controller.

I get pro controller and I am very happy with it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ELY3M
https://github.com/ELY3M

User Info: Thrasher7170

Thrasher7170
1 month ago#6
BenjaMan64 posted...
Power A works well, but it doesn't have rumble, amiibo scanner or motion controls. That may hamper your experience in some games, such as in some Breath of the Wild shrines, where motion controls are required, or when in Super Mario Odyssey you locate Power Moons with the rumble.

The Power a wireless has motion controls.
3.5 lbs of Sour Patch Kids makes one Sour Patch Child.
Bisexual and proud

User Info: ZodiacSoldier

ZodiacSoldier
1 month ago#7
Thrasher7170 posted...
BenjaMan64 posted...

I think he was referring to the $20 one the TC linked in his original post.

The one that supports motion controls cost like $40 to $50.
Steam: ZodiacSolder // i5-8600K // Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E // EVGA RTX 2080 XC
PSN/XBox: ZodiacSoldierJL // 3DS FC: 3797-9082-8623 // Switch FC: SW-6184-3549-7403

User Info: Thrasher7170

Thrasher7170
1 month ago#8
ZodiacSoldier posted...
Thrasher7170 posted...
BenjaMan64 posted...

I think he was referring to the $20 one the TC linked in his original post.

The one that supports motion controls cost like $40 to $50.

Fair. I assumed TC was comparing wireless controllers.
3.5 lbs of Sour Patch Kids makes one Sour Patch Child.
Bisexual and proud

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
1 month ago#9
ELY_M posted...
No amiibo support in powerA or 3rd party controllers.

if you use amiibos. go for Pro controller.

I get pro controller and I am very happy with it.

Your console came with joycons. Those have NFC support for joycons. You don't really need more than that. It's like saying not to buy a WiiU official Pro controller because it doesn't have NFC, so you only use the Game Pad. The Pro controller isn't very good by default because of it's trash tier d-pad that misfires other directions when you press it. You have to mod it. A lot of people don't want to or don't know how. It's too expensive for the work you have to put into it.
3DS: 4871-6557-4900 | Switch: SW-7875-2425-7203
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Nifterific | XBL / PSN: Nifterific | NNID: n00bsaib0t

User Info: G-Ziss

G-Ziss
1 month ago#10
So is there a PowerA controller that has motion controls and can be connected with a USB cable if I want to?
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Official Nintendo Pro Controller or PowerA Controller for Nintendo Switch?
  • Topic Archived