• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. I don't get Monster Hunter.

User Info: EgoMouse32

EgoMouse32
2 months ago#61
Hmm, idk about the demos being THAT bad. I was a newcomer at MH3U on 3DS and I found the demo to be pretty fun and I even got to kill monsters like Lagombi (this was before I watched tutorials). Now I've played MH3U, MH4U, and MHGU. The demo misses the customizing and buying aspects, and gathering doesn't really matter, but it showcases the main gameplay. What exactly are we supposed to expect from the demo?
~~( 8 :> Splatoon server: https://discord.gg/VHbBrqa SW-1058-0470-2243. ~~( 8 :>
< 83 == Super Mario Maker: http://tinyurl.com/smmegomouse < 83 ==

User Info: Panthera

Panthera
2 months ago#62
EgoMouse32 posted...
Hmm, idk about the demos being THAT bad. I was a newcomer at MH3U on 3DS and I found the demo to be pretty fun and I even got to kill monsters like Lagombi (this was before I watched tutorials). Now I've played MH3U, MH4U, and MHGU. The demo misses the customizing and buying aspects, and gathering doesn't really matter, but it showcases the main gameplay. What exactly are we supposed to expect from the demo?

A proper explanation of the control scheme without needing you to go look through the menu during the quest while the timer is running, for one thing. And some better balance - the GU demo's final fight has you stuck with low rank weapons (not even end of low rank quality either) up against a full strength high rank Valstrax. That can be pretty discouraging for new players, considering even veterans wouldn't have an easy time clearing that within the time limit.
Meow!

User Info: KurashiDragon

KurashiDragon
2 months ago#63
Panthera posted...
EgoMouse32 posted...

A proper explanation of the control scheme without needing you to go look through the menu during the quest while the timer is running, for one thing. And some better balance - the GU demo's final fight has you stuck with low rank weapons (not even end of low rank quality either) up against a full strength high rank Valstrax. That can be pretty discouraging for new players, considering even veterans wouldn't have an easy time clearing that within the time limit.

Isn't that kind of the point of the Demo Valstrax? It's supposed to be hard. It's not like it's the only monster either. There's an easy mode monster and a medium mode monster too. I doubt it's all that discouraging when you can simply fight easier monsters. For me personally, I really liked the difficulty of Demo Valstrax. Even managed to beat the multiplayer one with randoms once. It got me more excited for the full game when I could fight it properly. Also, have any of the MH demos properly explained the controls? The point is, the Demo shows off the gameplay and some of the cooler fights in the game. That's it's job and it did it well.

User Info: thelorenzolamas

thelorenzolamas
2 months ago#64
Everyone who responded and quote-responded with that "We don't care you get it or not." line are jerks.

This is one of the reasons people give your fandom s***. This dude wasn't even being all that negative, he seemed to really give it a really solid try, and you're like "I don't give a f***. f*** off." Why even respond with that? It's so damn rude! Better to just ignore the topic, or at least try and give a little bit more constructive responses instead of being rudely dismissive.

This is the same type of community reaction that turned me off from trying to get into the Souls franchise. I'm glad I eventually did, though, as I love the series now. But Jesus, don't be rude like that. Makes you seem petty.

Panthera
2 months ago#65
KurashiDragon posted...

Isn't that kind of the point of the Demo Valstrax? It's supposed to be hard. It's not like it's the only monster either. There's an easy mode monster and a medium mode monster too. I doubt it's all that discouraging when you can simply fight easier monsters. For me personally, I really liked the difficulty of Demo Valstrax. Even managed to beat the multiplayer one with randoms once. It got me more excited for the full game when I could fight it properly. Also, have any of the MH demos properly explained the controls? The point is, the Demo shows off the gameplay and some of the cooler fights in the game. That's it's job and it did it well.

The fact that they don't explain the controls is the point! It's a terrible way to do a demo, which is supposed to appeal to new players, not just be there for series veterans exclusively. And the demo Valstrax is like, designed from the ground up to turn people away from the game. I've heard from several people who played the demo and gave up on the game because they figured it was just a tedious slog where the monsters are unreasonable damage sponges designed to waste your time. Why? Because that's what demo Valstrax is!
Meow!

User Info: Zeon

Zeon
2 months ago#66
i don't blame ya tc. While it can be fun, the series is a chore to get through, n mh fans will try everything in their power to claim youre the issue when you dont find slogging fights fun.
Gfaqs Foxy Phantom Theif. Stealing hearts and breaking trolls.
Your unfriendly neighborhood kitsune idol.

User Info: KurashiDragon

KurashiDragon
2 months ago#67
Panthera posted...
KurashiDragon posted...

The fact that they don't explain the controls is the point! It's a terrible way to do a demo, which is supposed to appeal to new players, not just be there for series veterans exclusively. And the demo Valstrax is like, designed from the ground up to turn people away from the game. I've heard from several people who played the demo and gave up on the game because they figured it was just a tedious slog where the monsters are unreasonable damage sponges designed to waste your time. Why? Because that's what demo Valstrax is!

Demo Valstrax was meant for the Veterans and the try hards, not for the newbies. That's what Great Maccao and maybe Barioth were for. That's why each monster had a corresponding difficulty on the select screen. People went into the Valstrax fight knowing it was going to be hard because that's literally what it said before the Valstrax fight. If anyone was turned away from the full game because they chose to go after something that was clearly out of their league at the time, that's on them. Also, I'm pretty sure even the full game doesn't out right tell you the controls. Finally, a demo isn't just to get new players into a game. It's also to hype up fans and veterans of the series.

Panthera
2 months ago#68
If you play a demo and it tells you the harder monsters are going to be tedious time wasting damage sponges, it's not your fault if you assume that's the case even if it isn't true in reality. The developers chose to advertise their games biggest challenges as annoying slogs, that's on them and them alone.
Meow!

User Info: ObsceneAnarchy

ObsceneAnarchy
2 months ago#69
I can understand people enjoying games I don't like Halo or Pokemon.

Til this day I do not understand the appeal of Monster Hunter. It's such an unpolished game in just about every aspect from interface to gameplay. Tried many times to play starting with a PSP version, a 3DS version and much later the Switch version noticing very little had changed over the years. I just don't get it. Its not like you can't hunt monsters in other games and craft things out of their materials.
Brawl #: 2019-9336-9320

User Info: zelgamerguy

zelgamerguy
2 months ago#70
It has everything I would like tbh... However I have tried multiplw games in the series and it just doesnt hold me past 20ish hours so I have given up on the series. Im not quite sure what it is.
Gamertag: Zelgamer68w PSN: zelgamerguy
3DS: 2707-3051-5461/Switch: Zelgamer 0756-7925-9387
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. I don't get Monster Hunter.
  • Topic Archived