• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. "Oh Hollow Knight and Cuphead are Soulslikes like Dark Souls."

User Info: metaphysician

metaphysician
4 weeks ago#11
Brownstone posted...
markd23 posted...
I don't know about Cuphead (haven't played it), but Hollow Knight is compared because of the soul-recovery thing after dying.

Atmosphere, lore, story telling, npc's, bosses, etc. Hollow Knight is very similar to Souls in a lot of ways. Cuphead though, hell no.

Its worth noting that the first Dark Souls game, at least, is very much like a metroidvania in 3D: it takes place in a single interconnected world with a huge emphasis on exploration and navigation. Its not fully a metroidvania, since it lacks the true tools-as-keys and emphasis on platforming that metroidvanias have, but its a recognizable cousin. That, combined with the both the "difficulty" and "atmosphere" components, make the comparison logical.

Cuphead? Is most closely related to Contra. It has no actual similarity to Dark Souls except for "its hard".

User Info: lvalice

lvalice
4 weeks ago#12
I was under the impression that hollow knight was metroidvania

If it's like dark souls then they lost a future sale.
3DS FC: 3609.1630.6263 - Ivalice
The mods here are useless trolls, get used to it.

User Info: BoundHunters

BoundHunters
4 weeks ago#13
Dark Souls Hard
or Battletoads Hard

I choose the latter
'Member that time AstralFrost made a topic about his "wife" getting mad at him for buying games that weren't manly enough? That'll never not be funny.

User Info: FinalFantasyer

FinalFantasyer
4 weeks ago#14
Soulsborne are my favourite games of all time yet i couldn't stand HK. Maybe it was because of the setting? The medieval fantasy settings of Bloodborne and Dark Souls are my biggest draw to the games. Same reason why i hated NiOh and have zero interest in Sekiro
PSN: Novigrad_
SW-1345-9332-2527

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
4 weeks ago#15
Hollow Knight has a few similarities beyond the difficulty, namely the mood, obtuse story telling, layered and complex level design, boss fights built around telegraphs and punishes in tight windows, slow heals, corpse running etc.

I actually dislike HK because I find the platformer style "damage on contact" thing to be completely at odds with a punish windows design since you can nail a dodge, make the right attack choice, then eat s*** from your attacks because your bodies touched. I don't like the binary nature of platformers at the best of times, precision demands + no grey area between success and failure = bad time.

Cuphead is a stupid comparison for stupid people.

User Info: DrRockso87

DrRockso87
4 weeks ago#16
‘Cuphead’ is nothing like ‘Souls’ difficulty. If anything, ‘Cuphead’ is more like ‘Megaman 2’ difficulty.

Side-scroller, limited amount of health, boss rush mode, etc.

Even though it’s annoying whenever a challenging game comes out and people go, “ZOMG!! IT’S LIKE DARK SOULS!!!” (I guess these people never played any games prior to the N64), I get the comparison. ‘Dark Souls’ is relevant and has a reputation for being hard so it’s the easiest to compare to. Makes sense.

User Info: Rorrrr

Rorrrr
4 weeks ago#17
Because people think “souls” mean hard.
Sans Earthbound, Ness Undertale, Geno Earthbound, Hatred Mario, Nightmario Luigi.
Ebic style, it's gamer time. Anyway I choose E. Despacito Spider.

User Info: ai123

ai123
4 weeks ago#18
For good or bad Dark Souls has become the common yardstick for measuring difficulty.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. "Oh Hollow Knight and Cuphead are Soulslikes like Dark Souls."
  • Topic Archived