• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. "Oh Hollow Knight and Cuphead are Soulslikes like Dark Souls."

User Info: Boomer_USA

Boomer_USA
4 weeks ago#1
What the heck does that even mean how are they "Soulslikes".Every single time these games get mentioned or any remotely challenging game they get compared them to Dark Souls.Dark Souls didn't event difficulty you know,and there are games way harder then these games mentioned.

I swear Modern gamers wouldn't survive any game from the Genesis/NES/SNES era.They would just throw the controller in rage and whine"Wahh why do I go back to the beginning of the game when I die.Why can't I just buy my way to the end of the game Wahh Wahh ITS NOT FAIR".

Modern gamers need to toughen up and stop whining about game difficulty.Back in my day games were hard,heck most platformers only had limited life's and continues,but guess what we kept trying and eventually won.

Okay rant over what do you think about every difficult game being compared to Dark Souls.

User Info: Krambo42

Krambo42
4 weeks ago#2
I always assumed that with HK, it was the combination of the difficulty (which is overstated) and the fact that you lose all your stuff when you die and have to go back to where you were to get it.

I've never heard anybody compare Cuphead to Dark Souls, nor have I played it, so I can't comment on that.

User Info: Brownstone

Brownstone
4 weeks ago#3
Hollow Knight is very much a Souls like game. Same for Nioh, Lord of the Fallen, Code Vein, Salt and Sanctuary and Ashen.

Anything beyond that i disagree.

User Info: bsp77

bsp77
4 weeks ago#4
I don't agree with comparing a game with Dark Souls just because it is hard. However, Hollow Knight actually has a lot of comparisons with Dark Souls. Cuphead though, just no.
Currently playing: Ys VIII

User Info: markd23

markd23
4 weeks ago#5
I don't know about Cuphead (haven't played it), but Hollow Knight is compared because of the soul-recovery thing after dying. I don't think there are many comparisons simply because the game has difficult parts.
Currently Playing: | Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4) | RDR2 (PS4) |

User Info: Brownstone

Brownstone
4 weeks ago#6
markd23 posted...
I don't know about Cuphead (haven't played it), but Hollow Knight is compared because of the soul-recovery thing after dying.

Atmosphere, lore, story telling, npc's, bosses, etc. Hollow Knight is very similar to Souls in a lot of ways. Cuphead though, hell no.

User Info: JMBoote

JMBoote
4 weeks ago#7
Anything with a remote sense of difficulty often got branded with the Dark Souls similarity before people started memeing the f*** out of it and it kind of waned off.

s*** was annoying, especially when they compared two completely different games in literally every aspect, with two vastly different approaches to how the game handles difficulty.
"I can do it when it counts, pal!" - Detective Dick Gumshoe (Ace Attorney)

User Info: IngSlayer

IngSlayer
4 weeks ago#8
Boomer_USA posted...
I swear Modern gamers wouldn't survive any game from the NES era.

They wouldn't because most of those games suck.

User Info: ROB45

ROB45
4 weeks ago#9
TC confuses difficulty with bad design.

User Info: ZeroX91

ZeroX91
4 weeks ago#10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPrzobGAyGo
Waving the flag is fun.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. "Oh Hollow Knight and Cuphead are Soulslikes like Dark Souls."