• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Caligula is good.

User Info: Risa_Omomo

Risa_Omomo
1 month ago#1
I give it a 7/10.

It gave me the wrong impression at first. As long as you play on Easy mode, you won't have any difficulty, and you'll still learn the battle system along the way. The color scheme used in this game really pops out in a good way. (Pink, yellow, black, and white.)

They also did a clever trick with the random battle music by switching between instrumental and vocals whenever you encounter an enemy. It's like the j-pop in Persona! It's so catchy. Even the dungeon and world maps are the same as Persona 1 and 2's. (It's made by the people that were involved in those two games.) You should try it.
CFW Trick is my idol.

User Info: kumorixLoveless

kumorixLoveless
1 month ago#2
This is one hell of a halfasses "review"
If you don't agree with my opinion or i don't like your opinion, you're s troll. -Literally everyone in Gamefaqs

User Info: cr14mson

cr14mson
1 month ago#3
I heard handheld mode is blurry. Are you playing docked or handheld? If it's the latter, how bad is it really?

User Info: Gaia093

Gaia093
1 month ago#4
Risa_Omomo posted...
As long as you play on Easy mode, you won't have any difficulty

... And that's good, how? Might as well watch an anime show.
Currently Playing: Tales of Vesperia.

User Info: kumorixLoveless

kumorixLoveless
1 month ago#5
cr14mson posted...
I heard handheld mode is blurry. Are you playing docked or handheld? If it's the latter, how bad is it really?

Pretty blurry. Worst than XC2 some would say.
If you don't agree with my opinion or i don't like your opinion, you're s troll. -Literally everyone in Gamefaqs

User Info: Darkdragoon324

Darkdragoon324
1 month ago#6
It's okay, the battle system is sort of fun, I like the character designs and I'm not very far into the story yet but so far it seems pretty interesting.

But dear god, the music. I have to mute the game while dungeon crawling/grinding because the music makes me want to repeatedly bash my f***ing head into the wall until I'm dead.
"Antagonizing another user by posting about food is disruptive"
- A GameFaqs mod

User Info: spikerosered

spikerosered
1 month ago#7
For me the game isn't bad. I was hoping the pacing of combat would be improved, but for me personally fights still take way too long. They're not necessarily Radiant Historia bad, but it is the same case IMO of the dev coming up with a neat way to fight, then loving that system way too much leaving the player stuck in consistently lengthy battles for the sake of showing how cool their mechanics are. In turn this makes them neat the first few fights, then grating for long stretches thereafter.

The soundtrack is fun, but the music loops do drive me crazy.

Graphically the game is very "soft" on the Switch even docked; it's a little jarring how blurry the visuals are. It's not unforgivable by any measure, but it is definitely distracting in my opinion.

I was also hoping for some changes to how NPC social links are handled, but they're still as lengthy and repetitive as before. I'd also like a bit more agency with my protagonist, but I understand that who I pick is a superficial decision; the game is meant to be pretty linear, so I'm not expecting Mass Effect or anything. I still keep hoping for an RPG to explore the idea of "how do you react and perform an action" more than "what action did you pick?", like a better version of Tokyo Twilight's "sense/feel" system.

Overall Caligula isn't a bad game in my opinion, it's just an average one. A title from industry veterans that had very big dreams that it feels exceeded the scope of what they had the resources or ability to provide. If anyone has more in-depth information they'd like feel free to ask; this was just typed quickly in a bit of down time as a surface level reaction. I've played the game both on Vita and Switch and so can provide some insight on the transition as well.

User Info: Darkdragoon324

Darkdragoon324
1 month ago#8
spikerosered posted...
For me the game isn't bad. I was hoping the pacing of combat would be improved, but for me personally fights still take way too long. They're not necessarily Radiant Historia bad, but it is the same case IMO of the dev coming up with a neat way to fight, then loving that system way too much leaving the player stuck in consistently lengthy battles for the sake of showing how cool their mechanics are. In turn this makes them neat the first few fights, then grating for long stretches thereafter.

I just hold the button for the entire fight unless the enemy is significantly higher level than me. If you hold down the selection button it'll just select the first attack all three times for all party members.
"Antagonizing another user by posting about food is disruptive"
- A GameFaqs mod
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Caligula is good.
  • Topic Archived