• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. What was your first game from gaming's most iconic franchises?

User Info: Endgame

Endgame
1 month ago#21
-"Gaming's most iconic franchises."

-Final Fantasy, Tekken, Driver, Dragon Quest, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Xenoblade, etc.

Something tells me you people don't know what iconic actually means. (Or video games, given the listed interactive movies known as jRPGs.)

Or exactly how small the aforementioned franchises really are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

And even then some of those numbers are less impressive when you know how they get there. (Square and Capcom are real big on rereleasing the same things with minor updates for an audience they know will eat them right up. A new edition of Street Fighter is basically what another game would have as a free update.)

And that list doesn't include Korean games that are definitely more well known worldwide (MapleStory and Dungeon Fighter) than most franchises listed in this topic as well due to their different structure.

I mean, do you really think Golden Sun is more iconic than Warcraft, Starcraft, or even more recent Overwatch? Come on.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert

User Info: Atarigamer

Atarigamer
1 month ago#22
of the games that matter:

Elite was my first Elite game
Daggerfall was my first Elder Scrolls game
Ultima IV was my first Ultima game
Fallout 2 my first Fallout game
ALttP was my first Zelda game
Manic Miner was my first platform game
Currently playing:-
PS4 - Kingdom come deliverance and AC:Odyssey | Switch - Mario + Rabbids and Skyrim

User Info: Yomigaeru

Yomigaeru
1 month ago#23
I believe I started with the first entry in most of the classic franchises.

Mario: Super Mario Bros. (unless you count Mario Bros. as the first entry)
Zelda: The Legend of Zelda
Castlevania: Castlevania
Mega Man: Mega Man
Sonic: Sonic the Hedgehog (on the Genesis)
Final Fantasy: Final Fantasy I
Dragon Quest: Dragon Warrior
Plus-sized Elf is my baseline for T H I C C. Busty girls with otherwise slender proportions do not qualify.

User Info: Thrasher7170

Thrasher7170
1 month ago#24
Endgame posted...

-Final Fantasy, Tekken, Driver, Dragon Quest, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Xenoblade, etc.

Something tells me you people don't know what iconic actually means. (Or video games, given the listed interactive movies known as jRPGs.)

And even then some of those numbers are less impressive when you know how they get there. (Square and Capcom are real big on rereleasing the same things with minor updates for an audience they know will eat them right up. A new edition of Street Fighter is basically what another game would have as a free update.)

And that list doesn't include Korean games that are definitely more well known worldwide (MapleStory and Dungeon Fighter) than most franchises listed in this topic as well due to their different structure.

I mean, do you really think Golden Sun is more iconic than Warcraft, Starcraft, or even more recent Overwatch? Come on.

We get it, you’re a dumbass, but your hate boner for JRPGs is ridiculous. Hell, from that list alone, Dragon Quest has sold 76 million copies, more than three times what Warcraft has sold.
3.5 lbs of Sour Patch Kids makes one Sour Patch Child.
Bisexual and proud

User Info: Deku_Link

Deku_Link
1 month ago#25
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Though it's one of my least favorites now.)
Metroid: Super Metroid (I felt iffy about whether I'd like it, but as I kept playing, it grew on me.)
Mega Man: Mega Man Legends (I'm not entirely sure if this was my first though.)
Pokemon: Pokemon Blue (Don't care for the series anymore though, except for Mystery Dungeon.)
Final Fantasy: Final Fantasy 1 (This game helped me to appreciate RPGs more than I used to.)
Paper Mario: Paper Mario N64 (Great game, but I think I like The Thousand Year Door more.)
Mario & Luigi: Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga (Still my most favorite of the series.)

User Info: xbs2034

xbs2034
1 month ago#26
A lot of times it was the first title (such as Super Mario Bros and Pokémon Red).

But as for some series I played a later title first there is Sonic 2, Final Fantasy VIII, Call of Duty: Big Red One, Crash Team Racing (unless you count the demo of Crash 3), Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition, Metal Gear Solid, Smash Bros Melee (did see friends play the original though briefly), and GTA 3 (I think these were very common starting points in some of the later cases).

User Info: HyperonicX

HyperonicX
1 month ago#27
Mario: Super Mario All Stars on the SNES.
Metroid: Metroid Fusion, followed shortly by Metroid Prime.
Sonic: I think either S3&K or Sonic CD.
Final Fantasy: 8 on the PS1.
Pokemon: I think it was Red. Can't remember.
Zelda: Link's Awakening.
Megaman: Can't remember. Maybe ZX?
Kirby: Kirby Squeak Squad.
Animal Crossing: Wild World.
Donkey Kong: DKC 3.
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.
Fire Emblem: The first GBA one, couldn't beat it.
Fallout: New Vegas on the PC.
Grand Theft Auto: GTA 2 on the PS1.
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.
Star Fox: 64 3D.
Spyro: Spyro 1.
Silent Hill: The original on the PS1.
WarCraft: WarCraft 1 on PC.
Currently playing: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (3DS)

User Info: Disengaged

Disengaged
1 month ago#28
Oh geeze, I'll never be able to finish this!

Tetris- Spectrum Holobyte, Inc. Tetris msdos 1987

Super Mario- Super Mario bros nes (I dont think Mario bros counts for super mario?)

Metroid- Metroid NES

Zelda- The Legend of Zelda NES

Monster Hunter- PS2 Demo Disc from game magazine

Metal Gear- Metal Gear NES (man what a rip off compared to the real thing)

Ultima- Ultima 3 MSDOS

Elder scrolls- Elderscrolls Arena MSDOS

Fallout- Fallout MSDOS

Wolfenstein- Wolfenstien 3d MSDOS

DOOM- Doom MSDOS.

GTA- GTA3 Ps2

Megaman- Megaman NES

Ghosts n Goblins' GnG arcade

Street Fighter- Street Fighter 2 Arcade, w/crappy purple attract banner.

Final Fantasy- Final Fantasy nes

Mass Effect- Star Flight MSDOS (not sorry)

Resident Evil- Resident Evil Psx

Silent Hill- Silent Hill Psx

Contra- Contra NES

Mortal Kombat- Mortal Kombat Arcade

Castlevania- Vampire Killer Arcade.

Punch out- Mike Tysons Punchout NES

Star Fox- Star Fox snes

Mario Kart- Mario Kart snes

Halo- Halo Combat Evolved Xbox

Half Life- Half Life ps2 port half life decay? Iirc....

Duke Nukem- Duke Nukem (2d sidescroller) msdos. Nowhere near as good as successor Duke 3d.

That's it for now. I will literally never stop.
This is my signature. You read my signature. It sucked.

User Info: Disengaged

Disengaged
1 month ago#29
Thrasher7170 posted...
Endgame posted...

We get it, you’re a dumbass, but your hate boner for JRPGs is ridiculous. Hell, from that list alone, Dragon Quest has sold 76 million copies, more than three times what Warcraft has sold.

Well.... I would personally remove golden sun (love it, but series didnt even finish, and it's not like a lot of people know about it), xenoblade (too young), and driver (its... driver)

But I would caution against using best selling as a direct analoug for iconic, theres a good overlap, but it's far from absolute.
This is my signature. You read my signature. It sucked.

User Info: LoneDesperado

LoneDesperado
1 month ago#30
Mario:Mario Bros NES
Sonic:Sonic 2
Mega Man:Mega Man 2
FF: 7
Zelda: Links Awakening
Mario Kart SNES
RE: RE2
SH:Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel...the gameboy color one
Star Fox:64
HAHAAAA Dance Gavin Dance baby, Downtown Battle Mountain TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. What was your first game from gaming's most iconic franchises?
  • Topic Archived